Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Advice wanted from expats in Oz!

Advice wanted from expats in Oz!

Old Jul 5th 2007, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice wanted from expats in Oz!

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I'm a funny bugger, when I want to be.

I think it will be when. Still not sure when will be, but I can't say that the UK is a forever move. We won't come back to Sydney, I don't think. Mr GG is open to considering Melbourne. On his work front, that works for us. But I'm not sold on Melbourne. We both quite liked Perth (), but I'm not sure we like it enough to live there. Although we have family there, so that's a plus. I really want to move to Darwin ( ), but Mr GG is less than convinced - but I usually get my own way.
Course you do (get your own way) you're a woman!!
You know, I did the complete turn on Melbourne like you did on Sydney.
It was the city we arrived in, had a few months there. Just thought, yeah, ok, another city - nice bits but nothing to get over excited about.
after having seen alot of other parts of Oz, I went back and saw it from a completely different perspective, within a new context - funny. Amazing our heads arent they
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

estherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really nice
Default Re: Advice wanted from expats in Oz!

Thanks everyone, its great to see the otherside of the coin. I will never forget when I started the visa, I saw on another expat (aussie site) this poor person getting a right telling off, for not wanting to move to oz and that it was like he had murdered someone for saying so. I thought poor guy, so hence my worries about not falling for Sydney, I thought I must be a little strange, only aussie friends turned their noses up at the move over and at least I am honest and I think after a few days home, I think give it a few years here (uk) and try to do another trip but for now I am not rushing to sell up my home, take my children out of school and rush over looking for a dream land that may never exist. I have learned a lesson the grass is not always greener on the other side ( well what life would be like for us!)
Originally Posted by LouiseD
This makes me so mad :curse:

Sorry

People in the UK just don't get it. Australia is not the paradise we are led to believe it is and so many people said to us when we returned - why did you come back from there - I'd love to go and live there - it's like they are conditioned to think that anywhere is better than here - typical Daily Mail talk.

But they haven't been - they haven't lived it and experienced all the heartache and anguish that it can bring. They just see lovely beaches, sunshine and think it's like being on a permanent holiday.

For some people, it is right. They love the place and the life there. For others they just prefer the UK.

We visited just before we moved permanently to validate our visa and I didn't fall in love with it either (we went to Melbourne). I knew then that I would never feel at home there but felt it was too late to back out so went ahead with it. We returned after 12 months. I did quite like Melbourne, it's a lovely city, but it just wasn't home and I always felt like an outsider.

Many people though move and it takes time to adapt to their new life - you may be one of these people.

But please don't listen to people in the UK who have never lived there. Listen to yourself and do what you feel is right for you.

Good luck