Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Advice wanted from expats in Oz!

Advice wanted from expats in Oz!

Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

estherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really nice
Default Advice wanted from expats in Oz!

Hi !

I really would like to know if my feelings are a bad sign? I posted on Catch up's. I went to Oz (stupid me) with the grass must be greener on the other side, worried at some things about the way the UK is going, and having been told by Grandad & dad Oz was everything great.

Got visa went on a valid trip and I did not get the feelings, I thought and felt
I know London has its bad points to many but it was not the feeling I get when in London, Manchester and the wages would not support us and our young family and the house prices shocked me.

Came home and OH says its stupid not to look at another part of OZ, we went to Sydney and OH things Melbourne would maybe suit us better.
But we can not afford to keep doing trips and would have to sell up to move out to Oz.

Now I feel confused and think I know it was only a trip and Australia is massive but we have two small children who are doing very well at school and dont think because of politics we should leave or chase a dream we had
and should of done when we were 20. I know I have time to think but
I just liked Australia but did not fall in love with it. Any advice from anyone returning would be fab! People at home think I am mad and cant understand why I am not on the plane back out there.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice wanted from expats in Oz!

Originally Posted by estherg
Hi !

I really would like to know if my feelings are a bad sign? I posted on Catch up's. I went to Oz (stupid me) with the grass must be greener on the other side, worried at some things about the way the UK is going, and having been told by Grandad & dad Oz was everything great.

Got visa went on a valid trip and I did not get the feelings, I thought and felt
I know London has its bad points to many but it was not the feeling I get when in London, Manchester and the wages would not support us and our young family and the house prices shocked me.

Came home and OH says its stupid not to look at another part of OZ, we went to Sydney and OH things Melbourne would maybe suit us better.
But we can not afford to keep doing trips and would have to sell up to move out to Oz.

Now I feel confused and think I know it was only a trip and Australia is massive but we have two small children who are doing very well at school and dont think because of politics we should leave or chase a dream we had
I just liked Australia but did not fall in love with it. Any advice from anyone returning would be fab! People at home think I am mad and cant understand why I am not on the plane back out there.
Hi m'dear

Well I'd say listen to your gut.
That you didnt fall in love with it here & sound very uncertain (uncommitted) now, thats not a good sign.
If you're happy in UK, given your misgivings, I'd stay.
Alot of people will no doubt say, go for it, you can always go back etc but if you had to sell up to move here, only to find yourself wanting to go home seriously out of pocket.
Not trying to be negative but realistic.
You may love it though.
Good luck
xxx

Last edited by birdynumnum; Jul 4th 2007 at 11:50 am.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:36 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi !

Hi Esther - as I read your post it just screams out to me 'I DON'T WANT TO MOVE TO AUSTRALIA!!'

Being apprehensive and scared about migration is one thing and completely normal - and in those cases my usual advice is 'give it a go' - you only live once and all that. BUT reading between the lines in your post it just seems like you just don't want to go and give up the lovely life you have here - am I right??!! If you don't want to go - stop things in their tracks now and talk to hubby.

Having had the experience of migrating to Oz and back again, if I was in your shoes and feeling like you do I would stay put in the UK.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird
Hi Esther - as I read your post it just screams out to me 'I DON'T WANT TO MOVE TO AUSTRALIA!!'

Being apprehensive and scared about migration is one thing and completely normal - and in those cases my usual advice is 'give it a go' - you only live once and all that. BUT reading between the lines in your post it just seems like you just don't want to go and give up the lovely life you have here - am I right??!! If you don't want to go - stop things in their tracks now and talk to hubby.

Having had the experience of migrating to Oz and back again, if I was in your shoes and feeling like you do I would stay put in the UK.
Just what I was trying to say really, but badly
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

your gut instinct will tell you waht to do.
Are you happy where you are and is your family happy where it is?
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

estherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really nice

We met a couple on the plane back to London, who said to really think about it . They could not return to th UK due to having chldren and grandchildren,
but I liked some of what I saw but not forever and I like the fact we can go in and out of one of the most fab cities in the world and go to europe.

Thanks for your help, wish you all the best of luck. GB is not a bad place,
its a great country, its got poblems but at least we know that and you can not beat Top Shop. Sorry I luv Top Shop (sad reason).

Esther x
Old Jul 4th 2007, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy-21 has a brilliant futurePoppy-21 has a brilliant futurePoppy-21 has a brilliant futurePoppy-21 has a brilliant futurePoppy-21 has a brilliant futurePoppy-21 has a brilliant future

I'd stay put if I were you Esther. Otherwise it could prove to be a costly mistake
Old Jul 4th 2007, 6:51 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in a few cities here in OZ, and I've been in this country a number of years. If I had my time back, and still chose to leave NZ, I'd be in the UK now, instead of being stuck in 'Legoland' as it's been called.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 8:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I fell in love with the US the first time I came here...dozens of visits and 7 yrs later we moved here. The first few years where the worst time of my life.

What can I say...will you be happy to go along with advice from others or will you always have that 'if only we'd tried it' feeling?
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:48 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I'm really going to throw a spanner in the works.

When we first visited Aus, it was before we'd put in our visa application. We came over to see whether we liked it enough to want to do that. And I expected, and really wanted, to like Aus. But I hated it. It disappointed me; it seeemed to have all the right things ticking all the right boxes, but somehow it just didn't work. Anyway, got home and left it for a while - allowed things to sink in without really thinking about them. And, with time, it increasingly felt like the right move for us. So application went in and we've now been here over two years. And I love Aus - we have Australian citizenship and I do call the place home.

My (rather long-winded ) point, is that perhaps you're just (naturally!) petrified about the process you could be about to undertake. It's daunting. Why move to t'other side o'planet? Just because you can? (Aye, we did!) When you're happy with your life in the UK, there seems less incentive to move. We decided to take the chance of trying to live somewhere else for a while, but thought it wouldn't be forever - that works for us. Only you can know what you want to get out of a move overseas and how you want it to work for you. Good luck trying to decide.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:25 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Hi !
People at home think I am mad and cant understand why I am not on the plane back out there.
This makes me so mad :curse:

Sorry

People in the UK just don't get it. Australia is not the paradise we are led to believe it is and so many people said to us when we returned - why did you come back from there - I'd love to go and live there - it's like they are conditioned to think that anywhere is better than here - typical Daily Mail talk.

But they haven't been - they haven't lived it and experienced all the heartache and anguish that it can bring. They just see lovely beaches, sunshine and think it's like being on a permanent holiday.

For some people, it is right. They love the place and the life there. For others they just prefer the UK.

We visited just before we moved permanently to validate our visa and I didn't fall in love with it either (we went to Melbourne). I knew then that I would never feel at home there but felt it was too late to back out so went ahead with it. We returned after 12 months. I did quite like Melbourne, it's a lovely city, but it just wasn't home and I always felt like an outsider.

Many people though move and it takes time to adapt to their new life - you may be one of these people.

But please don't listen to people in the UK who have never lived there. Listen to yourself and do what you feel is right for you.

Good luck
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD

People in the UK just don't get it. Australia is not the paradise we are led to believe it is and so many people said to us when we returned - why did you come back from there - I'd love to go and live there - it's like they are conditioned to think that anywhere is better than here - typical Daily Mail talk.

But they haven't been - they haven't lived it and experienced all the heartache and anguish that it can bring. They just see lovely beaches, sunshine and think it's like being on a permanent holiday.

For [/B]

Good luck

Louise has made a very valid point there, how many of the poeple in the Uk who thinK OZ is a dream have actually lived in australia?

You visited and if its not for you stand up and say so now. Far too many people arrive having doubts or doing it because "its my husband/wifes dream"
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:52 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Tough call, but i would say stay where you are. Just my opinion though
Old Jul 5th 2007, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Geordie George
OK, I'm really going to throw a spanner in the works.

When we first visited Aus, it was before we'd put in our visa application. We came over to see whether we liked it enough to want to do that. And I expected, and really wanted, to like Aus. But I hated it. It disappointed me; it seeemed to have all the right things ticking all the right boxes, but somehow it just didn't work. Anyway, got home and left it for a while - allowed things to sink in without really thinking about them. And, with time, it increasingly felt like the right move for us. So application went in and we've now been here over two years. And I love Aus - we have Australian citizenship and I do call the place home.

My (rather long-winded ) point, is that perhaps you're just (naturally!) petrified about the process you could be about to undertake. It's daunting. Why move to t'other side o'planet? Just because you can? (Aye, we did!) When you're happy with your life in the UK, there seems less incentive to move. We decided to take the chance of trying to live somewhere else for a while, but thought it wouldn't be forever - that works for us. Only you can know what you want to get out of a move overseas and how you want it to work for you. Good luck trying to decide.
I must say the not thinking of it forever is a really healthy thing to do. It alleviates so much pressure.
Funny GG you had the turn around. If you came back (or should that be when ..would you go to a different city do you think or back to where you are now.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 7:10 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
I must say the not thinking of it forever is a really healthy thing to do. It alleviates so much pressure.
Funny GG you had the turn around. If you came back (or should that be when ..would you go to a different city do you think or back to where you are now.
I'm a funny bugger, when I want to be.

I think it will be when. Still not sure when will be, but I can't say that the UK is a forever move. We won't come back to Sydney, I don't think. Mr GG is open to considering Melbourne. On his work front, that works for us. But I'm not sold on Melbourne. We both quite liked Perth (), but I'm not sure we like it enough to live there. Although we have family there, so that's a plus. I really want to move to Darwin ( ), but Mr GG is less than convinced - but I usually get my own way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.