Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

advice from those who went to Canada

advice from those who went to Canada

Old Jul 1st 2009, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default advice from those who went to Canada

Hi everyone, I'm hoping for some thoughts from any of you who emigrated to Canada but have now returned home or are in the process of coming back. My partner and I are in the process of planning to emigrate out to Canada. I've been reading a lot on the emigration forum, but obviously it's a rose-tinted specs forum there, as is my own outlook at the moment! So I thought I'd post here to see what different points of view I get - I'd like to consider *everything* before taking the plunge.

I guess my main question/point is... I presume when you all emigrated you were of the rose-tinted view, and you wanted to go as much as anyone currently planning to go over on the other board. But now you've changed your mind. What is it about Canada that you didn't expect? Or what is it about the UK that you found you missed? Is there something that is not occurring to me now that I really ought to consider?

All thoughts gratefully received
Old Jul 1st 2009, 12:15 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice from those who went to Canada

Its difficult cos we're all so different.

For us it was lack of money, we were used to much higher wages in London. We always seemed to be watching our bucks. Couldn't afford a house in Vancouver and didnt want to live anywhere else in Canada even though we looked at Toronto and Nova Scotia. We were bored of North American culture. Only place we ever went was back to London on holiday, to see family, cos cheap flights are non existent.

Having said all that I did really enjoy my 6.5 years there and loved the very lax work ethic where i worked. I left some really good mates and great memories. I would go for it. The UK isnt going anywhere and if you dont like it you can come home. We got our citizenship and might go back when we retire.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

pammiej is a name known to allpammiej is a name known to allpammiej is a name known to allpammiej is a name known to allpammiej is a name known to allpammiej is a name known to allpammiej is a name known to allpammiej is a name known to allpammiej is a name known to allpammiej is a name known to allpammiej is a name known to all

I think the difficulty is when you are planning to emigrate, you can't think about everything - its impossible particularly if you haven't told family and friends and gotten their opinions or you do tell them and get nothing but a load of opinions, it makes you defensive and even more stubborn about moving rather than taking a step back and thinking the move through logically - certainly that was one of the things that happened to us.

I came back to the UK for an extended break and ended up realising that I didn't want to go back - I liked being able to do my job here, I liked having a support network for my daughter and I liked the concept of having an established background - in Vancouver, it was just too hard to have to start over again, to have no work experience, to know that my qualifications counted for nothing, to have no support network, to have family and friends that were previously all over us when we came for holidays to suddenly back off and never want to see us, knowing we might never be able to afford a house and basically because my husband lost his job so we had nothing to look forward to.

All of these were blips and probably could have been over come in time but in the end, I just didn't want to give it that time anymore - I didn't want to put my life on hold until everything else fell in to place eventually and something that I didn't count on affecting me as much as, in the end it did, was the thought of what if something happens to my parents or my family while I am in Canada - am I going to end up just ping ponging back and forwards for the rest of my life - my parents are first generation immigrants themselves so I know full well how devastating it was for my mum when her parents died in another country and she couldn't be there for them. I could just see that happening to me...I know that I knew that when we emigrated, just as i knew that my daughter would end up being the Canadian cousin but until you are experiencing it firsthand, you cannot really appreciate just how real it is...

Sorry for rambling on and on but basically my reasons for not going back are personal to me and won't be the same as any one elses...and that's not to say I don't miss vancouver, because I do - I made a fantastic friend who I hope to stay friends with for the rest of my life but then I can always go and visit - I don't have to live there for that!!!
Old Jul 1st 2009, 1:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
Hi everyone, I'm hoping for some thoughts from any of you who emigrated to Canada but have now returned home or are in the process of coming back. My partner and I are in the process of planning to emigrate out to Canada. I've been reading a lot on the emigration forum, but obviously it's a rose-tinted specs forum there, as is my own outlook at the moment! So I thought I'd post here to see what different points of view I get - I'd like to consider *everything* before taking the plunge.

I guess my main question/point is... I presume when you all emigrated you were of the rose-tinted view, and you wanted to go as much as anyone currently planning to go over on the other board. But now you've changed your mind. What is it about Canada that you didn't expect? Or what is it about the UK that you found you missed? Is there something that is not occurring to me now that I really ought to consider?

All thoughts gratefully received
TBH I think a lot depends on your age and personality as well as the destination. The younger you move the better IMO...I think it's probably easier to settle if you're 20/30...than say 40/50 when you have established a home and family. If you have a flexible, easy to please, glass half full personality I think you will settle easier than a person who isn't so flexible...with a glass half empty personality.

Canada is a vast country and I have only experience of the Toronto area..I've lived in the US for 13 years but our daughter's lived in T.O. for over 6 years and we have a place there. I like T.O. and the people seem to be friendly enough. However when you live in a new country the people can't replace family or friendships you've built up over decades.

Just my opinion though and don't let it put you off moving...just something to think about.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 2:56 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I love Nova Scotia.

You don't say why you're emigrating, so it's hard to know if it'll be what you expect, but I'll say the same thing I say to everyone who asks your question here. You're moving to a foreign country. Don't fool yourself that because people speak English in Canada (most, but not all and it's officially bilingual) that it's a bigger England with more space and dramatic scenery. Because it's a foreign country, people here behave differently, have different social cues etc. There have been other threads on here about how we ex-UK people can be on great terms with a Canadian-born-and-bred for ages but realize there's still a sheet of glass between us and them. That we're just not getting it. As I say, it's the interloper's problem not theirs -- they understand one another just fine -- but history and a common language can fool us into thinking we understand better than we do. It's still a big relaxation when I get together here with ex-uk people. It's just easier.

However, I know I'll now have the same problem the other way around. I've already encountered it. I seem foreign to our English friends. They adapt to it, but we're going to have to watch it with new people we meet over there.

People vary a lot as to how they deal with being strangers in a strange land.

You also don't say anything about your situation like jobs, children, family connections in Britain.

If you can make the move and return to the UK in, say, 5 years, absolutely go for it. It'll be a great adventure. If that'll be a big problem with work, finances or anything, think about it a lot more. Pin down why you want it and if a move within the UK would achieve the same.

A big reason for going back for many people is family and friends. If you currently have a lot very close to where you live, think about how it's going to be when you're 4 hours time shift and a fairly expensive flight away. If you've never lived a long way from everyone you know really well you may not understand what a gap that can be.

We've been here over 30 years, and we've lived in Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, and Victoria. We've traveled across Canada and into the north. It's a fabulous country, but for us it's still not "home." I still don't truly share the Canadian mindset. I find the political organization at all levels muddled and annoying. I shouldn't be annoyed at the way a country runs itself, but it's why I still feel a bit like a stranger in a strange land.

I don't love Canada. I don't get all starry-eyed and mushy on Canada Day -- which is today, BTW. Happy Canada Day! I do love England and can easily get starry-eyed and mushy about it.

I know England has some shortcomings, but not many in comparison to Canada IMO. But it comes back to the emotions. It's a bit like -- do you live with the slightly scruffy, sometimes in a bad mood man you adore, or switch for the prettier one who smiles a lot that you don't care about?

But we've been here a long time, and returning to the UK hasn't occurred to us until recently, so the prettier guy who smiles a lot has been okay. But then it's like, "What am I thinking? This is second best."

But, we're over sixty, our kids are grown, and we can afford to do this and come back in a few years if that suits us.

BTW, don't underestimate the effect of winter, which is more or less 5 months out of the 12 in most of Canada. It's not as severe in NS, but it tends to linger on into May then burst into summer. I always missed spring when we were there, but otherwise I loved it. I say again, if you can do this move and reverse it later without too much cost, absolutely go for it. Living abroad is a wonderful experience and Nova Scotia would be a great place to do it.

Bev
Old Jul 1st 2009, 3:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I know you are in BC but I think 5 months of winter is extremely optimistic for most of Canada.

Old Jul 1st 2009, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

JulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bevm
I love Nova Scotia.

There have been other threads on here about how we ex-UK people can be on great terms with a Canadian-born-and-bred for ages but realize there's still a sheet of glass between us and them. That we're just not getting it. As I say, it's the interloper's problem not theirs -- they understand one another just fine -- but history and a common language can fool us into thinking we understand better than we do. It's still a big relaxation when I get together here with ex-uk people. It's just easier.

Bev
This is so so true.. exactly what I've experienced here in the US.. I have european friends whose second language is English; yet I connect better with them than the Americans. You are so right about how the common language can fool you into thinking you'll understand eachother and connect.. The Texans are the nicest people but there is a bit of a cultural barrier there... I don't click with them so easily and they do think very differently.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for all the replies! I've read everything with interest - I'm so glad I decided to post here as it is good to think about things in a way different to 'it'll be so great!!' which is what I've only reading so far.

I didn't want to give background about me because I was just curious for people's opinions. A bit about me - I am 33 and my partner is 36. I work in fingerprints, which I know is a job I can't do in Canada unless I become a citizen, but to be honest that doesn't bother me too much. I'm on the way to completing an MPhil at Uni and have a lot of interest in research. But I also appreciate that NS is mostly 'small town' so I'm treating employment quite broadly! I also do some art and craft but know there is little point trying to start that as a career here as it is *very* hard to make work - I have been more impressed with the creative communities in Canada. My partner works as a personal trainer at a chain of fitness centres, and doesn't enjoy it. He wants to set up his own business, but the red tape has been absolutely unreal. I knew the UK was bad for that but I cannot believe what he has gone through.. every block thrown in his way when all he wants is to help people get fitter and healthier.

We don't own a house - we both came to our 'career' jobs less than 5 years ago and don't have the money. Even with the prices coming down I still don't see us being able to afford one, certainly not one where we would want to live. We have no children, and no current plans to have any. I'm very close to my immediate family, but my partner is not close to his. I realise that being apart from my family is going to be a wrench, but I'm hoping I can deal with it (I know my family, my mum in particular, does not want me to go although she's not said it outright yet). I spent 3 months living in Vancouver in 2003 and that wasn't a problem.. I just emailed and phoned! My partner spent a year of university in Kansas USA and felt more at home there than he did in Scotland.

We live in Glasgow, and we hate it. Not mincing my words there! I love 'Scotland', but I don't love the details, the day-to-day stuff. Neither of us feel we fit in here, we don't share the interests of people here (my partner played US football for many years, that is the main sport we love! Neither of us drink alcohol...) I find the place dirty, the people inconsiderate and selfish. The level of crime scares me (and given my job I know how much there is...). I admit I'm being rather sweeping and harsh, but it's my current point of view! We both love the countryside but can't afford to live there in the UK... certainly not live there and work. Maybe we'll have that problem in Canada too, but at least the house prices are more affordable!

We also find the direction the UK is going quite depressing too. I know the credit crunch is everywhere, but I'm not impressed with the UK's handling of things. I also find the level of customer service here appalling.

Hmmm, it obviously reads like I've not been put off the idea! I'm so grateful for all your thoughts, it's been a very helpful and refreshing read I'd welcome any other comments... now that you know more about my situation if anything else comes to mind. Thanks again.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 5:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Why don't you take a quick look back through some of the old thread titles...here and in the Rovers Return? There are several people who have returned from Canada and have posted their reasons for doing so...you may find their comments useful. Elaine B and Ruby Murray are two I can think of off the top of my head.

You can search for their posts in this forum by using the search function located in the pink bar at the top of this page. Go to advanced search...put the name in the box at the top right hand side and choose 'threads started by'. Scroll down and in the large box highlight this forum...it's about half way down the list. Give me a shout if you need any help.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 6:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I came to Canada only because I met and married a Canadian who was already here so no reason to get away from the UK.

It's great to live virtually crime free - where people leave their cars parked with windows open, stuff on seats and sometimes even the keys dangling from the ignition - but still in a decent sized city. I don't see the anti-social behaviour that I saw in Bristol.

The cons: Outdated banking practices, bureaucracy of government departments, mozzies (not always limited to dusk to dawn) and endless snow from November to April. The cold is no problem at all. If you can share the snow clearing, once you develop a routine it's mostly not too bad...unless you need to get a car out for work or something...in which case you might want to get a snow blower or have a contract with someone who clears the stuff for you.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 8:04 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I know you are in BC but I think 5 months of winter is extremely optimistic for most of Canada.

http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/lingua3.gif
Well, in NS it usually snowed around Christmas and then for the last time in May. I know that's including the tail end in there, but as far as I'm concerned, if it snows, it's winter!

In Montreal and Ottawa it began in November -- October the last winter we were there! -- and lasts into March. So I think 5 months isn't unreasonable.

Bev
Old Jul 1st 2009, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by izzi81
Thanks so much for all the replies! I've read everything with interest - I'm so glad I decided to post here as it is good to think about things in a way different to 'it'll be so great!!' which is what I've only reading so far.

I didn't want to give background about me because I was just curious for people's opinions. A bit about me - I am 33 and my partner is 36. I work in fingerprints, which I know is a job I can't do in Canada unless I become a citizen, but to be honest that doesn't bother me too much. I'm on the way to completing an MPhil at Uni and have a lot of interest in research. But I also appreciate that NS is mostly 'small town' so I'm treating employment quite broadly! I also do some art and craft but know there is little point trying to start that as a career here as it is *very* hard to make work - I have been more impressed with the creative communities in Canada. My partner works as a personal trainer at a chain of fitness centres, and doesn't enjoy it. He wants to set up his own business, but the red tape has been absolutely unreal. I knew the UK was bad for that but I cannot believe what he has gone through.. every block thrown in his way when all he wants is to help people get fitter and healthier.

We don't own a house - we both came to our 'career' jobs less than 5 years ago and don't have the money. Even with the prices coming down I still don't see us being able to afford one, certainly not one where we would want to live. We have no children, and no current plans to have any. I'm very close to my immediate family, but my partner is not close to his. I realise that being apart from my family is going to be a wrench, but I'm hoping I can deal with it (I know my family, my mum in particular, does not want me to go although she's not said it outright yet). I spent 3 months living in Vancouver in 2003 and that wasn't a problem.. I just emailed and phoned! My partner spent a year of university in Kansas USA and felt more at home there than he did in Scotland.

We live in Glasgow, and we hate it. Not mincing my words there! I love 'Scotland', but I don't love the details, the day-to-day stuff. Neither of us feel we fit in here, we don't share the interests of people here (my partner played US football for many years, that is the main sport we love! Neither of us drink alcohol...) I find the place dirty, the people inconsiderate and selfish. The level of crime scares me (and given my job I know how much there is...). I admit I'm being rather sweeping and harsh, but it's my current point of view! We both love the countryside but can't afford to live there in the UK... certainly not live there and work. Maybe we'll have that problem in Canada too, but at least the house prices are more affordable!

We also find the direction the UK is going quite depressing too. I know the credit crunch is everywhere, but I'm not impressed with the UK's handling of things. I also find the level of customer service here appalling.

Hmmm, it obviously reads like I've not been put off the idea! I'm so grateful for all your thoughts, it's been a very helpful and refreshing read I'd welcome any other comments... now that you know more about my situation if anything else comes to mind. Thanks again.
Hi izzi81

We moved to Canada with 2 young boys (we were aged 30 & 31). Moving to Canada in your 30's is an ideal time.

We lived in rural Alberta and Ontario and experienced "small town" Canada. We found the people were friendly, but felt we never really fitted in(did not belong to the right local families).

Jobs in rural Canada can be sparse and low paid. The job your partner would be looking at could be a $10/hr(£5/hr). Also you need to network i.e belong to certain Churches etc.

Houses are cheap in rural Canada due to wages and distance from major cities. Before returning to England (Oxford) we lived in the Ottawa Valley. We had a old 5 bedroom farmhouse that we fully renovated sold it for only $234K in 2005. This was still 8.5 times the average wage then. An attraction for most Brits had been selling up in the UK and have a wedge of money to buy a large houses and large truck/SUV.

The current average house price $274k in Canada and £155K UK.
Average Salary Canada $43K and £31K UK.
Average house price to income ratio Canada 6.4, UK 5.0.

These are basic stats I picked off the internet, but generally in Canada for the Joe average its cost more to own a house relative to income than the UK. This is not the case for everyone, but from my 8.5 years in Canada were spent a larger ratio of my income on housing than we do in the UK.

On the job front do you work for police/crime prevention? as you said your into fingerprinting. If you do its worth seeing if there is any counterparts in Canada you could contact through your current job in Glasgow.

I would not live in Glasgow. I was brought up in Kent and spent my life in rural areas or small towns. I could not image living in a high crime area. My 2 teenage sons are quite spoilt living in SE Kent as they have any easy life and never been exposure to the type environments you get in large cities.

Keep doing your research and try to network in your profession.

hudd
Old Jul 1st 2009, 10:55 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
TBH I think a lot depends on your age and personality as well as the destination. The younger you move the better IMO...I think it's probably easier to settle if you're 20/30...than say 40/50 when you have established a home and family. If you have a flexible, easy to please, glass half full personality I think you will settle easier than a person who isn't so flexible...with a glass half empty personality.

Canada is a vast country and I have only experience of the Toronto area..I've lived in the US for 13 years but our daughter's lived in T.O. for over 6 years and we have a place there. I like T.O. and the people seem to be friendly enough. However when you live in a new country the people can't replace family or friendships you've built up over decades.

Just my opinion though and don't let it put you off moving...just something to think about.
Very true - i came to vancouver at 23 - about a thousand quid and a back pack full of belongings. I had nothing to lose and everything to gain. I eventually got a degree, and am now settled in my career. I've been through a divorce and have had my ups and downs.

Interestingly, when I was first divorced i went through a very disjointed period and took an extended leave and headed to manchester to be with family. I had some sort of vauge idea about moving back. I soon realized that my life was now in vancouver (everything from possessions, work skills, qualifications and friends) and have not looked back since. I have now been here almost 17 years.

It's a lot easier to invent yourself than re-invent yourself. If i were to go back to the UK now, i'd be lost, so I can totally relate to someone moving here.

Good luck
Old Jul 1st 2009, 11:09 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hudd
Hi izzi81

We moved to Canada with 2 young boys (we were aged 30 & 31). Moving to Canada in your 30's is an ideal time.

We lived in rural Alberta and Ontario and experienced "small town" Canada. We found the people were friendly, but felt we never really fitted in(did not belong to the right local families).

Jobs in rural Canada can be sparse and low paid. The job your partner would be looking at could be a $10/hr(£5/hr). Also you need to network i.e belong to certain Churches etc.

Houses are cheap in rural Canada due to wages and distance from major cities. Before returning to England (Oxford) we lived in the Ottawa Valley. We had a old 5 bedroom farmhouse that we fully renovated sold it for only $234K in 2005. This was still 8.5 times the average wage then. An attraction for most Brits had been selling up in the UK and have a wedge of money to buy a large houses and large truck/SUV.

The current average house price $274k in Canada and £155K UK.
Average Salary Canada $43K and £31K UK.
Average house price to income ratio Canada 6.4, UK 5.0.

These are basic stats I picked off the internet, but generally in Canada for the Joe average its cost more to own a house relative to income than the UK. This is not the case for everyone, but from my 8.5 years in Canada were spent a larger ratio of my income on housing than we do in the UK.

On the job front do you work for police/crime prevention? as you said your into fingerprinting. If you do its worth seeing if there is any counterparts in Canada you could contact through your current job in Glasgow.

I would not live in Glasgow. I was brought up in Kent and spent my life in rural areas or small towns. I could not image living in a high crime area. My 2 teenage sons are quite spoilt living in SE Kent as they have any easy life and never been exposure to the type environments you get in large cities.

Keep doing your research and try to network in your profession.

hudd
Not sure where you get 31,000 quid as an average wage? While stats are misleading at the best of times, i find this figure not at all representative of being an average earner in the UK. From family and friends in manchester, I hear that they are lucky to get around 8 quid an hour.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ic-sector.html
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dboy
Not sure where you get 31,000 quid as an average wage? While stats are misleading at the best of times, i find this figure not at all representative of being an average earner in the UK. From family and friends in manchester, I hear that they are lucky to get around 8 quid an hour.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ic-sector.html
dboy

These are a links for average UK salaries

http://www.newlifenetwork.co.uk/the-...r-i601683.html

http://www.mysalary.co.uk/uk-average-salary2008.php

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...vey-shows.html

I live in Kent and my father runs school catering. He struggles to get a catering assistant for £8/hr. I just hired some casual admin staff for the summer and that cost me £11-£13/hr (some are A' Level students).

http://www.kent.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/...lityinkent.pdf

Look at page 30 it gives average income in Kent against house prices.

Lowest average annual salary in Kent is £28K in Thanet and £52K in Sevenoaks. That's why we moved to Kent last year, good salaries relative to house prices.

hudd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.