Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Advice re: where to move in the UK please

Advice re: where to move in the UK please

Old Nov 12th 2015, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice re: where to move in the UK please

Originally Posted by Editha
If you are renting, it can be either. In my experience most rentals will include the cooker, but not necessarily the washing machine or fridge. You will be lucky to find a rental with a dishwasher -- this is Britain!
I am lucky, I think. I have a new dishwasher and a new washer/drier. Landlord is replacing the fridge and freezer early next year. It is a private rental but I get along well with the landlord. After spending an hour chatting with me the day I arrived, he didn't even want any references even though I offered him reference contact info two or three times.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 1:25 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree- East Anglia is great with reasonable prices if you choose wisely. We lived in North Norfolk, on the coast- beautiful area. The A11 is now dual carriageway so M25- M11- A11 and you are in Norwich, our local city- lovely place. My folks live in Kent so now would take no time.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

UKgirlinCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Quoll. A friend's sister lives in Ely near Cambridge and I will check that out too. I guess another issue is the cost of getting to London on a regular basis. The train doesn't look too cheap from the midlands so perhaps your suggestion for east anglia is a bit better in some ways as it's closer. It is great to have lots of options, just a bit difficult knowing which would be the best all round choice!
Old Nov 13th 2015, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Stinkypup (great name by the way). But I see you're in Canada?
Old Nov 13th 2015, 6:27 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKgirlinCanada
Thanks Stinkypup (great name by the way). But I see you're in Canada?
Yes but that is where I was living before we moved to BC- I still keep in touch with friends there- great place to live -BC and Norfolk
Old Nov 17th 2015, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKgirlinCanada
The place that I really like the sound of is Buxton but it is too far from London at this stage.
Buxton is half an hour's drive to Macclesfield, where there are trains that get to London in less than 2 hours. Buxton's a lovely town but I'm not sure how good the schools are. It's fabulous for access to the Peak District. There are hospitals in Stockport, Macclesfield and Manchester that you could look into for work.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 10:03 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

If I had to live down south, I think Norfolk would be my choice. The prices are reasonable and it is beautiful (although very flat). Good luck choosing!

PS: Our rental included dishwasher, fridge/freezer, washer and dryer.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Kins and Sallysimmons. Good to have more info on Buxton and also a second vote for Norfolk. I will be over in Feb so may go and check a few places out.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute

Look at towns/cities on the Midland Mainline which are North of Market Harborough but south of Sheffield. That gives you and ideal commute time, and a choice of locations. The East Midlands is a cheap place to live (I'm leaving it in good financial standing because of it!).
A few of the "town" stations on the line are easy to walk to.
The advantage of the East Midlands is you are a short commute to three major cities both by rail and by car, plus you can get to Birmingham.
If you look, for example at Loughborough, there is a lot of rental properties there too as its basically a University Town. That should give you a chance to scout the area first before buying. Its also a Town, not a city.
Loughborough to London on the train is 1 hour 22 minutes on the fast train, 1 hour 42 minutes on the "stopper". That's into St Pancras and on many of the major underground routes.
I would say you may be in for a shock at prices of rail tickets though. 2nd Class Peak return tickets from Loughborough to London are around £150 now! Factor that into your calculations. Off peak is still a whopping £90.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Markcst. The midlands are definitely in the running but the cost of rail tickets is definitely a concern. The whole point of moving is to be closer to my parents and visit every few weeks. Not sure how feasible that would be with four rail tickets to pay for each time! Sucks that everything near London is so expensive!