Advice please

Old Jan 15th 2016, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

susan66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice please

I have a British Citizen passport. My 3 children are British citizens by descent, born in Saudi Arabia, never lived in Uk. At present we are in Cyprus where it is my sons final year at school (19yrs old). He has applied to many universities in Uk and because he hasn't lived in uk for 3 yrs they will charge him overseas student fees.

I want to try and avoid this with my other 2 children. I was thinking of buying a property in uk and use that address as our fixed address but still have the children study in Cyprus. And live back in uk during school breaks. Would this entitle the children to apply to universities as a local student and not overseas students and pay accordingly the fee.

Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice please

Originally Posted by susan66
I have a British Citizen passport. My 3 children are British citizens by descent, born in Saudi Arabia, never lived in Uk. At present we are in Cyprus where it is my sons final year at school (19yrs old). He has applied to many universities in Uk and because he hasn't lived in uk for 3 yrs they will charge him overseas student fees.

I want to try and avoid this with my other 2 children. I was thinking of buying a property in uk and use that address as our fixed address but still have the children study in Cyprus. And live back in uk during school breaks. Would this entitle the children to apply to universities as a local student and not overseas students and pay accordingly the fee.

Thank you in advance.
No going on holiday to the UK and owning a home in the UK will not bypass the rules on international / domestic fees. The only way to be sure of domestic rates, is to move back permanently in good time.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
No going on holiday to the UK and owning a home in the UK will not bypass the rules on international / domestic fees. The only way to be sure of domestic rates, is to move back permanently in good time.
Thank you bemudashorts
Old Jan 15th 2016, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Would there be any exceptions to the rule regarding charging my son as an overseas student?
Old Jan 15th 2016, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susan66
Would there be any exceptions to the rule regarding charging my son as an overseas student?
What do you mean exceptions? And on what grounds do you think there should be an exception?

I believe that occasionally some people have managed to wangle domestic fees, but it would depend on the institute. If you do a search, you should find other threads on this very topic, I am sure I have seen a recent one.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

I don't think that he should be exempted but I read somewhere that some universities will look at each case individually and make a decision.So this fee isn't set in stone.

I will have a read through other threads.

Thank you for your prompt replies.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 10:47 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

in the following

UKCISA - England: Higher Education - Fee status in England: Higher Education

UKCISA - Home or Overseas fees?
Old Jan 15th 2016, 10:56 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Wriggle room appears very tight. We talked to East Anglia, for example, and they said that that maybe home fees could be discussed in the third year of study if the family had fully repatriated (not holidays) when study started. None of the others said even that much.

Plan to pay the full whack. In the unlikely even you get a break later, consider it gravy but don't plan or count on it. Universities like international students because they like those fees.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 10:59 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Wild card....

OP, do you or your children having lived in Cyprus for long enough qualify for Cyprus citizenship & then the passports?

http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/CRMD/crmd....3?OpenDocument

If so, they (may) would be considered EU & be fee exempt students in the UK

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Internation...s,-and family

Last edited by not2old; Jan 15th 2016 at 11:14 am. Reason: link added
Old Jan 15th 2016, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your replys. Children born in Saudi. Son 19 in March came to Cyprus when he was 16. So lived only 2 years here.Never lived for a substantial time in UK.

Will have to have a good think what's best for the kids and their future.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 1:50 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

If your son is a British citizen living in an EU member country then he will be charged the same rates as a British student living in the UK. Not quite sure why you think he will be charged international rates?

He will apply the same way through UCAS and if accepted, the British government will pay his fees to the university and he will owe the UK government the money once he graduates and earns over ? £23k. The same as a student living inFrance, Germany, Spain etc.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

From what I understand is that because he has never lived in the UK and only 2 years in Cyprus then he's not eligible. Universities are contacting him and say he has to pay as an overseas student.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:25 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Will he have lived in cyprus for 3 years on the day that the course starts?
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

2yrs 7 months
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:31 am
Austin. TX.

oh bugger!
Won't he consider EU universities? Many of them teach undergrad courses in English. My son wants to study physics and is looking at germany, holland and sweden. His British citizenship is enough, doesn't require residency (we are in the USA) and the fees are very reasonable..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.