Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Advice needed ....moving to manchester

Advice needed ....moving to manchester

Old Apr 24th 2012, 1:41 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed ....moving to manchester

Originally Posted by brits1
Its certainly a free country....where are you living now?....
Not in Manchester.......thank god.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
LOL well I love Manchester so each to their own.....but I would like to know what you think of the area you live in now...
Old Apr 24th 2012, 1:22 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

funny, i was wondering the same thing. Not that i know nowt about brisbane....
Then you have no opinion...

If you're so happy in Vancouver, why are you in the MBTTUK forum?
Old Apr 24th 2012, 1:41 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Then you have no opinion...

If you're so happy in Vancouver, why are you in the MBTTUK forum?

actually i noticed the title when logging in. I did not specifically seek out the MBTUK forum. Being from Manchester and still having all my family there, i was of course curious. i go back every other year.

And why would i have no opinon....are you a manc? have you lived in Brisbane? I am from Hyde, lived in Dukinfield, Ashton Under Lyne, Ardwick, Cheetam Hill....i am specifically slating greater manchester. There are nice areas away from the city, especailly to the east (although I doubt the avearge manc could afford to live there). But manchester itself, is more bad than good. Endless boxy houses, council estates and run down, sketchy hoods. Last time I was home, half the pubs had even gone and very few people ventured out to the ones that were still open. Sad really.

And yes I am happy here, Vancouver has given me more opportunites than the UK ever did.

Last edited by Boy d; Apr 24th 2012 at 1:49 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 1:46 pm
Banned

I like it, or perhaps more importantly, I like my life here. I do miss the uk, but not so much manchester. The center itself has improved alot but the inner city areas are as bad as they ever were.

I live in whiterock which is about 50 km south of vancouver:
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

actually i noticed the title when logging in. I did not specifically seek out the MBTUK forum. Being from Manchester and still having all my family there, i was of course curious. i go back every other year.

And why would i have no opinon....are you a manc? have you lived in Brisbane? I am from Hyde, lived in Dukinfield, Ashton Under Lyne, Ardwick, Cheetam Hill....i am specifically slating greater manchester. There are nice areas away from the city, especailly to the east (although I doubt the avearge manc could afford to live there). But manchester itself, is more bad than good. Endless boxy houses, council estates and run down, sketchy hoods. Last time I was home, half the pubs had even gone and very few people ventured out to the ones that were still open. Sad really.

And yes I am happy here, Vancouver has given me more opportunites than the UK ever did.
I am from Manchester but would not really know the areas you are talking about some of my OH family live in Dukinfield (lovely home and nice area of Dukinfield...yes there are some) and Stalybridge....just off Mottram Old Road again very nice homes in a nice area....I would not live in those areas and dont really know them but have heard of them, Ardwick and Cheetham Hill dont know those areas at all but from what I have heard of them they are not so great its no wonder you might have a poor opinion of Manchester seeing as where you have lived, I come from a nice area so will have a different opinion to you what I have learnt from our travels though that most places have some good,bad,awful and lovely areas it all depends where your from, a very good friend of mine lived in Wythenshaw all her life (except the last 8 years) where she lived in a huge house in a very,very nice area and guess what she just wanted to go back to Wythenshaw were she was truly happy...each to their own. ps there's a young Canadian guy who has a coffee in one of the coffee shops every Sunday morning, we were chatting to him the other day and one of the shop assistants said "why would you leave Canada for our town" they reply was "were I come most parts of Manchester look posh"....lol..
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:38 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

funny, i was wondering the same thing. Not that i know nowt about brisbane....

No I am not a Manc, nor have I been to Brisbane...neither have you which is what I meant by saying you can not have an opinion.
How do you know Brisbane isn't a total dump if you have never been there?

For people that have been there and want to return to Manchester obviously have a good reason to do so.

I am pleased you are happy in Vancouver though, but sadly immigration doesn't work for everyone.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Lorry1
No I am not a Manc, nor have I been to Brisbane...neither have you which is what I meant by saying you can not have an opinion.
How do you know Brisbane isn't a total dump if you have never been there?

For people that have been there and want to return to Manchester obviously have a good reason to do so.

I am pleased you are happy in Vancouver though, but sadly immigration doesn't work for everyone.
the thread is about manchester, not Brisbane. No immigration does not always work....we are all shaped by our experiences of places, good and bad.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by brits1
I am from Manchester but would not really know the areas you are talking about some of my OH family live in Dukinfield (lovely home and nice area of Dukinfield...yes there are some) and Stalybridge....just off Mottram Old Road again very nice homes in a nice area....I would not live in those areas and dont really know them but have heard of them, Ardwick and Cheetham Hill dont know those areas at all but from what I have heard of them they are not so great its no wonder you might have a poor opinion of Manchester seeing as where you have lived, I come from a nice area so will have a different opinion to you what I have learnt from our travels though that most places have some good,bad,awful and lovely areas it all depends where your from, a very good friend of mine lived in Wythenshaw all her life (except the last 8 years) where she lived in a huge house in a very,very nice area and guess what she just wanted to go back to Wythenshaw were she was truly happy...each to their own. ps there's a young Canadian guy who has a coffee in one of the coffee shops every Sunday morning, we were chatting to him the other day and one of the shop assistants said "why would you leave Canada for our town" they reply was "were I come most parts of Manchester look posh"....lol..
Oh yes, areas of Canada are worse. I lived in Regina for 6 months. I'd choose manchester other Regina

. I also lived in Oldham and Shaw. I know Stalybridge very well as it is next door to Dukinfield. Mottram Road is nice and that is really where manchester ends in my mind....on up to Greenfield and up towards saddleworth or east to glossop and derbyshire...lovely areas. Easy commute to manchester on the train.

manchester's inner areas though are much the same, be it Denton or Failsworth or Salford......granted some areas are fine, such as Didsbury, but most are terrible, depressing places. Just randomly go on goggle maps and it speaks for itself. When i hear Manchester that is what comes to mind for me, and my family and friends, cant ever hope to buy in the nicer areas. i suspect its the case for many mancs. A terrace house in salford or a semi in Hyde are about as good as it gets. A terrace house in upper mill for instance is twice what it would be in dukinfield.

Dukinfield is much the same as everywhere else, with some nicer areas up towards the golf course and over matley lane (basically mottram road). As for nicer houses, well yes of course they are eveywhere.

Yes all areas of anywhere have good and bad areas. Sadly as the case with manchester (and a lot of the major centres of the north west) there are definately more bad than good and the good are a pipe dream for most working class northern lads and lasses.

Last edited by Boy d; Apr 24th 2012 at 3:19 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:58 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, areas of Canada are worse. I lived in Regina for 6 months. I'd choose manchester other Regina

. I also lived in Oldham and Shaw. I know Stalybridge very well as it is next door to Dukinfield. Mottram Road is nice and that is really where manchester ends in my mind....on up to Greenfield and up towards saddleworth or east to glossop and derbyshire...lovely areas. Easy commute to manchester on the train.

manchester's inner areas though are much the same, be it Denton or Failsworth or Salford......granted some areas are fine, such as Didsbury, but most are terrible, depressing places. Just randomly go on goggle maps and it speaks for itself. When i hear Manchester that is what comes to mind for me, and my family and friends, cant ever hope to buy in the nicer areas. i suspect its the case for many mancs. A terrace house in salford or a semi in Hyde are about as good as it gets. A terrace house in upper mill for instance is twice what it would be in dukinfield.

Dukinfield is much the same as everywhere else, with some nicer areas up towards the golf course and over matley lane (basically mottram road). As for nicer houses, well yes of course they are eveywhere.

Yes all areas of anywhere have good and bad areas. Sadly as the case with manchester (and a lot of the major centres of the north west) there are definately more bad than good and the good are a pipe dream for most working class northern lads and lasses.
I'd rather live in Manchester than Edmonton Alberta, where I am now.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 12:39 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Editha
I'd rather live in Manchester than Edmonton Alberta, where I am now.
me too
Old Apr 25th 2012, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Manchester has good and bad areas - like everywhere else.

I was a uni student there and lived in "inner city" places like Hulme, Moss Side, Whalley Range, Ardwick, and Rusholme. While at uni, I coached sports to inner city kids in Gorton. I lived in West Disbury and Withington after I started working.

Where you can tolerate living depends much on your personal preferences and on your personal situation. Would I live in some of those places again with a wife, kids, pets, etc. Probably not. Were they good places to live as a student with little money? Yes.

If I moved back with a wife & kids, I would probably look to live in one of the many nice suburban areas in and around Manchester. If I moved back as a single guy, I'd live closer to the action.

To each their own.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 9:18 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by aliceinoz
Thanks, had a look at stockport and some of the housing seems affordable.
Choosing which parts are "good" is the hard part.
Hazel grove, Bredbury,Romiley......Anyone know ?????
I'm from Romiley. It's safe nad quite pretty. Bredbury...not so nice....Marple Bridge and Marple are very good areas and extremely pretty. PM me if you want more info. Quite expensive but worth it. Fab schools.
Old May 1st 2012, 4:44 am
Just Joined

aliceinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
I'm from Romiley. It's safe nad quite pretty. Bredbury...not so nice....Marple Bridge and Marple are very good areas and extremely pretty. PM me if you want more info. Quite expensive but worth it. Fab schools.
Thankyou. PM sent.
Old May 1st 2012, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aliceinoz
Thankyou. PM sent.
Charlesworth is nice as well and Mellor.......and High Lane near Lymm Park is a good area.