Reload this Page >

Advice for my Mum moving back to UK from Spain

Advice for my Mum moving back to UK from Spain

Old Oct 11th 2018, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Britmart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for my Mum moving back to UK from Spain

Hello,

My Mum (69 years old) has been living in Spain since 2005.

Within the last 2 and a half years she has battled breast cancer, had two hip operations and just recently her husband left her.

She would like to move back to the UK to be with loved ones but has no money and can’t work due to bad hips.

Can anyone give me advice on next steps and whether she can claim any benefits?

Many thanks

Mark
Old Oct 11th 2018, 7:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for my Mum moving back to UK from Spain

Hi, welcome to BE.

You've not actually said, is she a UK citizen? She can just move back and will have NHS coverage from day 1 as it's residence based. I think there's a wait period for most benefits though, 6 months rings a bell but I may have that wrong - others will be along to help with that, or you could search the forums and hopefully find the answer.

Good luck.
Old Oct 11th 2018, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for quick reply.

She was born in the UK and has a British passport, does this qualify as being a UK citizen? Excuse my ignorance
Old Oct 11th 2018, 8:30 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britmart
Hi, thanks for quick reply.

She was born in the UK and has a British passport, does this qualify as being a UK citizen? Excuse my ignorance
Yes it does. I think the benefit waiting period is 3 months (habitual residency) rather than 6. I assume she has a UK pension?
Old Oct 11th 2018, 9:41 am
Just Joined

She does have one yes...Scottish Widows i believe.
Do you know if she should register with a GP before returning and am i right in thinking that GP's don't necessarily have to have an official address from her?

Many thanks.
Old Oct 11th 2018, 10:23 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

She does have one yes...Scottish Widows i believe.
Do you know if she should register with a GP before returning and am i right in thinking that GP's don't necessarily have to have an official address from her?

Many thanks.
She can't register with a GP before she arrives, but she can do it on day one once she's there. She *will* need an address within the practice's catchment area, but that address can be temporary. Perhaps she'll be staying with you at first?
Old Oct 11th 2018, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

She may qualify for the basic state pension if she has at least 10 years worth of NI contributions before she left the UK. although I presume if she qualified she'd already have been claiming it from Spain?
Old Oct 12th 2018, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

My Mum (69 years old) has been living in Spain since 2005.

Within the last 2 and a half years she has battled breast cancer, had two hip operations and just recently her husband left her.

She would like to move back to the UK to be with loved ones but has no money and can’t work due to bad hips.

Can anyone give me advice on next steps and whether she can claim any benefits?

Many thanks

Mark
Have a look at ageconcern UK info about returning from abroad

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information...road-heading/#

your mum may have a state or part of a state pension due from her marriage also. Something to look into.-
if she can register herself from your address to start with and get a GP check on her health regarding inability to work etc, that would be a start.
also she should get on the electoral register straight away.
It sounds like she will be eligible for benefits though possibly only after 3 months.