Wikiposts

Advice for moving to UK

Old Mar 12th 2012, 4:11 am
Just Joined

Faithguidesyou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for moving to UK

I am a professional in the Oil and Gas industry and currently residing in the States. These few days, I got a lot a lot of calls from the UK recruiters regarding opportunities in UK, and the opportunities are all over places in UK. Given that have been living in the States for 15 years, and currently considering some life style change. I am a Chinese (HongKongese), so I would stay in a city (or place) that has more HongKongese people. I need some guidance or advises so I know how to deal with those recruiters. Thanks in advance
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for moving to UK

Originally Posted by Faithguidesyou
I am a professional in the Oil and Gas industry and currently residing in the States. These few days, I got a lot a lot of calls from the UK recruiters regarding opportunities in UK, and the opportunities are all over places in UK. Given that have been living in the States for 15 years, and currently considering some life style change. I am a Chinese (HongKongese), so I would stay in a city (or place) that has more HongKongese people. I need some guidance or advises so I know how to deal with those recruiters. Thanks in advance
Hi, If you going to consider a move then I would try and visit the UK first....most of the Major cities here have a Chinese community...ie London, Manchester have a China Town with a Chinese community....the best way to find out is to google areas where you might be thinking of working then take it from there. Also until you have at least 99% chance of being offered these positions I would take it slowly until you come to an guaranteed offer of work.....a lot of recruitments in most countries put out lots of positions, you fill them in...and then more often than not you do not here back...so once again just take it a step at a time. Good luck
Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

hmm, difficult to say. My wife is Korean originally but an Oz citizen and we lived in Sydney for many years. There are definitely more Asian faces here now (it's called Far East here, 'Asian' means something completely different, don't get Mrs TB started).

I've spent lots of time working round the world, mostly city based and am completely used to being part of the Korean and Chinese communities. But it is different here, more of a sprinkling than probably the communities you are used to being around. We are about 1hr from London.

I'd say it wouldn't be hard to find a good community, but that would rely on you being in control of where you want to live, but I imagine the oil industry would not be located in places that have the communities you are after.

Probably best to give a list of likely places where you are headed and folks from those areas can advise.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 2:29 am
Just Joined

Tr1bry

Well Aus. is on my list too. The company that I am working at now in the States is an Australian company and have offices in all the major cities in Australia. How's the life style in Aus?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Tr1bry

Well Aus. is on my list too. The company that I am working at now in the States is an Australian company and have offices in all the major cities in Australia. How's the life style in Aus?
Well I'm dual UK/Oz citizen, English originally and love being back in the UK, so best not to ask me about Oz

Seriously though, if being part of a large Asian community is very important to you, then I'd say from that perspective, Oz wins hands down. The communities are more integrated and much larger. UK has many great things to offer over and above that, depends on your priorities I guess.

Going by your usernae, I'd say you'll find going to Chinese church service far more easy to access in Oz, particularly Sydney.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Tr1bry

I do know it helps to have like minded people around you to help settle in but if I were to only want to live and mis with my own kind then I would just head home...why bother to migrate if your not really going to assimilate...unless its just for work reasons and the experience...but your never going to feel like you belong unless you live the life of the country you live in.....that's just my two penny worth.....and my advice is more probably worth only a half penny....lol...
Old Mar 15th 2012, 10:09 am
Just Joined

I am not moving to UK permanently. Most of the opportunities are contract 1 or 2 years, so after the contract end, I will be on the move again.