Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Advice/forum for retired couple moving back to England after 25 yrs in Ireland.

Advice/forum for retired couple moving back to England after 25 yrs in Ireland.

Old Nov 11th 2018, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

flipsat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice/forum for retired couple moving back to England after 25 yrs in Ireland.

15 yrs ago myself and other half retired to ROI from UK. Property here is so much cheaper. But now feeling a bit vulnerable (aging) with no nearby family. Looking into possibility of returning to South East England. The proceeds of our house sale around 100 to 150000 pounds sterling with only small amount of savings. Would really appreciate any advice or pointers as to preferably buying 2 bed accommodation in surrey/Kent or South London. Would consider secure (tenure) shared ownership or local authorty/charitable schemes. My daughter would probably be able to financially invest to help boost our opportunities. Has anyone any experience of this? Many thanks in advance. ❓🤔
Old Nov 11th 2018, 10:45 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Advice/forum for retired couple moving back to England after 25 yrs in Irela

Originally Posted by flipsat
15 yrs ago myself and other half retired to ROI from UK. Property here is so much cheaper. But now feeling a bit vulnerable (aging) with no nearby family. Looking into possibility of returning to South East England. The proceeds of our house sale around 100 to 150000 pounds sterling with only small amount of savings. Would really appreciate any advice or pointers as to preferably buying 2 bed accommodation in surrey/Kent or South London. Would consider secure (tenure) shared ownership or local authorty/charitable schemes. My daughter would probably be able to financially invest to help boost our opportunities. Has anyone any experience of this? Many thanks in advance. ❓🤔
I don’t have any experience but you do need to be very careful if moving to a retirement development and especially if the property is a leasehold and/or has a warden as there may be hidden fees or costs and you need to find out what these are before signing on the dotted line.

For instance if you go to:
SavvyWoman | Money Tips for Smart Women and look up “Buying a Retirement Flat - What to Look For” there are some good examples of questions to ask and

www.ageuk.org.uk has factsheets and the very latest one (Nov 2018) is Factsheet 2 “Buying Retirement Housing” and 20 pages long! - which you may wish to peruse

Also advice (and retirement properties on the market) at www.housingcare.org

hope this helps!

Old Nov 12th 2018, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

flipsat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice/forum for retired couple moving back to England after 25 yrs in Irela

Originally Posted by Englishmum

I don’t have any experience but you do need to be very careful if moving to a retirement development and especially if the property is a leasehold and/or has a warden as there may be hidden fees or costs and you need to find out what these are before signing on the dotted line.

For instance if you go to:
SavvyWoman Money Tips for Smart Women and look up “Buying a Retirement Flat - What to Look For” there are some good examples of questions to ask and

www.ageuk.org.uk has factsheets and the very latest one (Nov 2018) is Factsheet 2 “Buying Retirement Housing” and 20 pages long! - which you may wish to peruse

Also advice (and retirement properties on the market) at www.housingcare.org

hope this helps!

​​​​​​Englishmum
Thank you for useful information and links. Lots of useful stuff to think about😊