Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Advice from all the horse riders please.

Advice from all the horse riders please.

Old Apr 2nd 2010, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice from all the horse riders please.

I've had a search on past post but I cant find the answer, can anyone give me some advice please.

Owned horses all my life but i gave up about 10 years ago due to pressures at work, done everything, jumping, dressage etc.

I'm bored, it's not looking promising on finding a job and I realise if I don't go out and do something I'll go mad.

There are a few local ranches around here that offer riding lessons but they all say start Western and then progress to English, now as I can ride English but have never done Western, (which looks simple) would I be wasting my money by having lessons? The other option is to go on some trail rides and teach myself, I just don't want to waste money on lessons if its not worth it?

Have any experienced riders out there has Western lessons and was it worth it?

Thanks folks.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 12:43 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice from all the horse riders please.

We just had a fun thread about this recently.. maybe there's some info for you there? http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=648180
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks M, I did giggle through that one and weighed up age V boredom V bruises!

I just don't want to waste $100's on lessons that I 'think' i don't really need.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 3:26 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym

Have any experienced riders out there has Western lessons
Yes.

and was it worth it?
No. Not worth the money if you can already ride, IMHO.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 4:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps contact the owners and see if you can work out a deal with them, labor for one or two lessons Western style and then labor for riding privileges.

My niece is an equestriane rider <sp> and she stables Fruelie free in lieu of cleaning out the stables. Is this in Rochester, NY, however.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 12:14 am

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
There are a few local ranches around here that offer riding lessons but they all say start Western and then progress to English
Find a different ranch. English is much more common than you would imagine.
Unless you plan to ride Western then don't bother with the lessons. Saddle time is saddle time in any style or discipline.
You say its been 10 years since you last rode, well get out there and get to it. I can't tell you how relaxed it makes me feel. We finally have our guys at our own ranch, and are able to ride at will. After years of riding 'sound' horses I'm starting to break a new horse for the first time. I'm a little too old for a fall, and I'm hoping Wizard respects that fact
Old Apr 4th 2010, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks all, I'll go check them out next week.

A couple of trail rides should do it by the sound of it.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 6:24 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

I ride English, but love Western, there is a snobbery involved, between the 2 methods, but western is built for comfort and easy, so if you can ride and just want to be out, give it a go, but not lessons, they are not needed, first time I rode western was in Mexico on my honeymoon, took 2 min's of explanation, I have since rode in Canada with my MIL who was 68 and had never ridden in her life, only problem was that the girth was too lose and the saddle started slipping. she did panic!
it's really not as involved as English, and so okay to get out, but not really as much fun or exhilarating.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 8:36 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by made of kent
I ride English, but love Western, there is a snobbery involved, between the 2 methods, but western is built for comfort and easy, so if you can ride and just want to be out, give it a go, but not lessons, they are not needed, first time I rode western was in Mexico on my honeymoon, took 2 min's of explanation, I have since rode in Canada with my MIL who was 68 and had never ridden in her life, only problem was that the girth was too lose and the saddle started slipping. she did panic!
it's really not as involved as English, and so okay to get out, but not really as much fun or exhilarating.
Just have to overide the desire to "post" when trotting,