Reload this Page >

Advice about using NZ VISA Card in the UK

Advice about using NZ VISA Card in the UK

Old May 28th 2017, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

oatia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice about using NZ VISA Card in the UK

Hi,

I have an EFTPOS-enabled chip & PIN Visa debit card issued by an NZ Bank.

I could not use it easily in the Far East, and having moved back to the UK now wonder if anyone can please tell me if NZ debit cards will be accepted as supermarkets, also whether there are any problems associated with using the cashback facility when paying at the checkout.

Many thanks,

Dick.
Old May 28th 2017, 9:00 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice about using NZ VISA Card in the UK

Originally Posted by oatia
Hi,

I have an EFTPOS-enabled chip & PIN Visa debit card issued by an NZ Bank.

I could not use it easily in the Far East, and having moved back to the UK now wonder if anyone can please tell me if NZ debit cards will be accepted as supermarkets, also whether there are any problems associated with using the cashback facility when paying at the checkout.

Many thanks,

Dick.
Is it actually a debit card, or just an EFTPOS? If it is a debit card (can be used online shopping and such) then you should be fine, and you should be able to ask for cash back when shipping too. If it is EFTPOS then it cannot be used shopping.
Old May 28th 2017, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Is it actually a debit card, or just an EFTPOS? If it is a debit card (can be used online shopping and such) then you should be fine, and you should be able to ask for cash back when shipping too. If it is EFTPOS then it cannot be used shopping.
Thanks. It is a chip & PIN VISA debit card with the "EFTPOS ENABLED" on the back below the address. I have used it online.

The issuing bank were convinced it would work in any country but the only place I found I could use it in Japan was at the Post Office ATM.
Old May 28th 2017, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oatia
Thanks. It is a chip & PIN VISA debit card with the "EFTPOS ENABLED" on the back below the address. I have used it online.

The issuing bank were convinced it would work in any country but the only place I found I could use it in Japan was at the Post Office ATM.
It'll work fine. Japan is a bit of an odd country when it comes to card acceptance, most places only take JCB, even though they have visa, Amex etc logo up.
Old May 1st 2018, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Angry Re: Advice about using NZ VISA Card in the UK

Hi,

I was able to use my card in UK supermarkets without any problems, thank you all very much. However, I was never asked to enter my PIN, I always had to sign which I thought a bit strange.

Now, I now have a problem with the replacement card I've been sent, for which the instructions say I have to make a PIN transaction to activate it.

I have tried three different supermarkets and a filling station, none of which will accept my card because presumably I haven't activated it.

I also tried using an ATM at a building society. This appeared to be more promising when it displayed a language menu, but when it asked for my PIN and I keyed it in, it was not accepted.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to deal with the problem please?

Perhaps there are other forum members who have had to face this without returning to NZ, which regrettably is something that I am unlikely to be doing anytime soon due to medical reasons. We really are talking a number of years at least unless my heart makes a sudden improvement.

Any advice gratefully received, thank you.
Old May 6th 2018, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes thats the normal way of the replacement cards to make a PIN transaction. You'll have to find a place which will allow that.
Old May 9th 2018, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Angry Re: Advice about using NZ VISA Card in the UK

Originally Posted by Benson55
Yes thats the normal way of the replacement cards to make a PIN transaction. You'll have to find a place which will allow that.
Thanks, but in the Britain, all UK credit/debit cards are validated by phone (often automated). There do not seem to be any ATMs of the type you are referring to here. At the checkouts the Chip & PIN is read as soon as the card is inserted and there are no options to choose from before the transaction goes through.

The only reason I was able to validate my last card in Japan was because the Japan Post ATMs operate differently, otherwise it seemed to be the same at checkouts there.