Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Advice about returning to England from New Zealand

Advice about returning to England from New Zealand

Old Apr 30th 2017, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

UKNZL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice about returning to England from New Zealand

The United Kingdom (UK) has a social security agreement with New Zealand.
The following information may help you understand how your UK State Pension may be affected while you live in New Zealand or if you now live in the UK and previously lived in New Zealand.

You may have previously lived in New Zealand, but now live in the UK. Any time you (or your spouse or civil partner if you are relying on their UK National Insurance (NI) contributions) lived in New Zealand before reaching your UK State Pension age can be treated as a period for which UK NI contributions were paid. This can include:

* up to 13 weeks for the journey between the UK and New Zealand; and
* periods of absence from New Zealand, provided that during the period of absence you were:
* employed and liable to pay New Zealand Income Tax on earnings arising from that employment; and
* not living in the UK.

If you are thinking about paying voluntary UK NI contributions for any non-qualifying years in your UK NI contribution record, it will be important for you to work out how many extra qualifying years your time in New Zealand may give you.

You should note that evidence of the time you lived in New Zealand might be required to help you qualify under the provisions of the agreement.
The time you lived in New Zealand could be confirmed by:
* tax certificates, employers' references, wage slips, travel documents, etc; or
* letters from two people, who can be friends or relatives.

Evidence of the time you lived in New Zealand should be kept until a claim for UK State Pension or UK benefits is made in the UK.

If the UK residence provisions do not allow you to get a full rate of UK State Pension, you may be entitled to get the full rate provided:
* you were getting New Zealand Superannuation when you were last living in New Zealand;
* it was awarded solely under the New Zealand scheme; and
* you are over your UK State Pension age.

If you move to live outside the UK, any UK State Pension awarded under the provisions of the agreement will no longer be payable. Your UK State Pension will be reduced to the amount payable when based solely on your UK NI contribution record.

Effect of the agreement on entitlement to New Zealand Superannuation

If you live in New Zealand, the agreement may help you to qualify for New Zealand Superannuation when you have reached pension age in New Zealand by allowing you to treat the time you lived in the UK as time in New Zealand
Old May 8th 2017, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

Salznz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I have lived in Nz for 22 years and originally come from Kent. My partner is from Yorkshire and has only been in NZ for 18 months and is very homesick. We are heading back to the uk at the end of the month for a holiday and catch up of family and friends. But we are also gong back to have a open minded look at living back there. We are looking at Lincoln as we have done the rural life and city life and want a bit of both. We have my 83 year old mum coming with us so it's needs to be a nice area wherever we move to. Any thoughts about that area would be great, plus any info on pensions (not there yet!) as I have been out of the uk since 1995. And any other stuff that might help? Cheers in advance
Old May 9th 2017, 5:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Salznz
Hi I have lived in Nz for 22 years and originally come from Kent. My partner is from Yorkshire and has only been in NZ for 18 months and is very homesick. We are heading back to the uk at the end of the month for a holiday and catch up of family and friends. But we are also gong back to have a open minded look at living back there. We are looking at Lincoln as we have done the rural life and city life and want a bit of both. We have my 83 year old mum coming with us so it's needs to be a nice area wherever we move to. Any thoughts about that area would be great, plus any info on pensions (not there yet!) as I have been out of the uk since 1995. And any other stuff that might help? Cheers in advance
Hi and welcome to BE. It gets a bit confusing if you post the same thing in multiple threads so if you keep your questions separate in the various threads or start a new thread asking all of your questions, it won't be so messy. Also the search facility works relatively well and some answers can be found there, may make your life easier. Hope you and your husband can work out where best to live.
Old May 9th 2017, 6:26 am
Just Joined

Ok cool thank you and my "husband" is my wife lol
Old May 9th 2017, 6:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Oops apologies. No gender and reading 'has' as 'he's'.
Old May 10th 2017, 4:44 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Oops apologies. No gender and reading 'has' as 'he's'.
I read the username as Salz NZ as in Sally. Oopsies. I've been in NS too long.
Old May 10th 2017, 6:44 am
Just Joined

Yes it's Sally from nz haha
Old May 10th 2017, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

You're a same sex couple then? Two women.
Very with the times.
Old May 10th 2017, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

In nz it's nothing new as nz was the first country in the world to allow same sex couples to legally marry.
Old May 11th 2017, 1:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

In nz it's nothing new as nz was the first country in the world to allow same sex couples to legally marry.
And Australia is likely to be the last. It's embarrassing and offensive and as a citizen I apologise on the country's behalf.
Old May 11th 2017, 1:34 am
Just Joined

It's funny how different that the two countries are one very open and forward thinking in so many things yet the closest country to nz is Australia and they are stuck in the 50's so it seems in many things. As for apologies don't worry that's why I only visit Melbourne in oz and live in nz haha
Old May 11th 2017, 1:36 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yes it's Sally from nz haha
Oh I'm so dim some days, if not always. Fool that I am.
I should have cottoned on . My lovely adopted nephew's wife is his husband.
Old May 11th 2017, 1:40 am
Just Joined

Don't worry about it I got married to von last September and I'm still getting use to calling her my wife � ���� lol
Old May 25th 2017, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

lhubbard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UKNZL
The United Kingdom (UK) has a social security agreement with New Zealand.
The following information may help you understand how your UK State Pension may be affected while you live in New Zealand or if you now live in the UK and previously lived in New Zealand.

You may have previously lived in New Zealand, but now live in the UK. Any time you (or your spouse or civil partner if you are relying on their UK National Insurance (NI) contributions) lived in New Zealand before reaching your UK State Pension age can be treated as a period for which UK NI contributions were paid. This can include:

* up to 13 weeks for the journey between the UK and New Zealand; and
* periods of absence from New Zealand, provided that during the period of absence you were:
* employed and liable to pay New Zealand Income Tax on earnings arising from that employment; and
* not living in the UK.

If you are thinking about paying voluntary UK NI contributions for any non-qualifying years in your UK NI contribution record, it will be important for you to work out how many extra qualifying years your time in New Zealand may give you.

You should note that evidence of the time you lived in New Zealand might be required to help you qualify under the provisions of the agreement.
The time you lived in New Zealand could be confirmed by:
* tax certificates, employers' references, wage slips, travel documents, etc; or
* letters from two people, who can be friends or relatives.

Evidence of the time you lived in New Zealand should be kept until a claim for UK State Pension or UK benefits is made in the UK.

If the UK residence provisions do not allow you to get a full rate of UK State Pension, you may be entitled to get the full rate provided:
* you were getting New Zealand Superannuation when you were last living in New Zealand;
* it was awarded solely under the New Zealand scheme; and
* you are over your UK State Pension age.

If you move to live outside the UK, any UK State Pension awarded under the provisions of the agreement will no longer be payable. Your UK State Pension will be reduced to the amount payable when based solely on your UK NI contribution record.

Effect of the agreement on entitlement to New Zealand Superannuation

If you live in New Zealand, the agreement may help you to qualify for New Zealand Superannuation when you have reached pension age in New Zealand by allowing you to treat the time you lived in the UK as time in New Zealand
Hi
Thank you for this information. I have lived in New Zealand for nearly 25 years though will be returning in November. I understand from the information you provide that the period i have lived in NZ will be treated as a period for which UK NI contributions were paid as long as i provide evidence of the time i have lived in NZ. Please can you confirm that my understanding is correct and what i need to do to upon my return to the UK Thanks Liam