British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Adventure or ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/adventure-782998/)

Wanderingstar Jan 8th 2013 11:37 am

Adventure or ?

Hi all,
I have travelled a lot , visiting over fourty countries and living overseas in Australia 2000 working holiday visa ,Malaysia 2005 (Job really did not work out so moved after three months / did not like KL either really) and New Zealand for a year in 2005/2006. When I left NZ I started crying in the airport because I think I was so relived to be leaving after feeling basically so isolated and lonely for twelve months in Christchurch.
I have been back in the UK since then apart from lots of travel during holiday times ( my holidays rock / I teach and get lots of time off and the most amazing holidays.)
I have been seriously bored over the last few years and am now in a particularly boring job ( Little teaching ) and keep thinking about moving away and working somewhere else, namely Hong Kong or somewhere I can dive regularly.
I am really bored with the town I live in and my social life has ground to a halt really ( I'm 38 and single) same pubs, same convos shitty weather! ( I love the summers and hte the winters here! )
The point of my post ? well I have lived abroad, I know the grass is not greener and that I love to come home, eventually missing my friends and family , the pull of home after a while is a strong one and so far it's always pulled me back. Is their much point in going through the drama of a big move again if I'm going to wind up coming back in a year or so anyway?
I know home is a state of mind to some degree and happiness is not around the corner in a magical place that does not exsist but by the same token I don't want to continue as I am, bored out of my mind!
Is this the curse ( or blessing) of the traveller ? the ping pong expat ?

ldollard Jan 9th 2013 11:10 pm

Re: Adventure or ?

Originally Posted by Wanderingstar (Post 10471106)
Hi all,
I have travelled a lot , visiting over fourty countries and living overseas in Australia 2000 working holiday visa ,Malaysia 2005 (Job really did not work out so moved after three months / did not like KL either really) and New Zealand for a year in 2005/2006. When I left NZ I started crying in the airport because I think I was so relived to be leaving after feeling basically so isolated and lonely for twelve months in Christchurch.
I have been back in the UK since then apart from lots of travel during holiday times ( my holidays rock / I teach and get lots of time off and the most amazing holidays.)
I have been seriously bored over the last few years and am now in a particularly boring job ( Little teaching ) and keep thinking about moving away and working somewhere else, namely Hong Kong or somewhere I can dive regularly.
I am really bored with the town I live in and my social life has ground to a halt really ( I'm 38 and single) same pubs, same convos shitty weather! ( I love the summers and hte the winters here! )
The point of my post ? well I have lived abroad, I know the grass is not greener and that I love to come home, eventually missing my friends and family , the pull of home after a while is a strong one and so far it's always pulled me back. Is their much point in going through the drama of a big move again if I'm going to wind up coming back in a year or so anyway?
I know home is a state of mind to some degree and happiness is not around the corner in a magical place that does not exsist but by the same token I don't want to continue as I am, bored out of my mind!

yes

Brigette Jan 9th 2013 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by ldollard (Post 10474343)
yes

now that's to the point:lol:

ldollard Jan 9th 2013 11:42 pm

To expand, you do need to think about the future i know this sounds boring and ageist, but you'll be hitting 40 soon then 50, you'll find it harder and harder each time to settle down, to find jobs and to have literally no work history you'll be barely employable. With no pension, no friends, no roots.

Sounds like a fairly miserable old age. Who will you share your travel stories with, when there's no one left to listen....?

... holy crap that sounded depressing, sorry, Blame it on Deacon Blue that i'm listening to.

pompeyblonde Jan 10th 2013 3:29 am

In a way yes! But also have you tried looking at it in another way? what exactly do you think is missing from your life? How do you want it to look? when were you happiest/most content and why?

Maybe you need to study? get a new job? move to another town in the UK, take up a new interest etc?

I too have itchy feet all the time.... but I find moving overseas a costly way to meet that need!

Just a few thoughts!:thumbsup:

Wanderingstar Jan 10th 2013 9:16 am

I do have a work history, I teach high school. And mostly my CV is pretty full apart from the odd extended travel gap.
"I too have itchy feet all the time" How do you combat that ?
Some valid points have been made.
38 is not too old to make the move though surely ? I know I'd go , and I'm pretty sure I would come back, I'd have an interesting few years, never know who I could meet, squeeze in another extended travel break at the end of my contract and then perhaps come back to my home town and be bored out of my mind again after a couple of years! lol wash rinse repeat! lol or I could meet the woman of my dreams on my travel cause I'm sure as hell not going to meet her in my local at home or staying in from with hibernation in these crappy winters we get in North Wales.

But also have you tried looking at it in another way? what exactly do you think is missing from your life? How do you want it to look? when were you happiest/most content and why?

Maybe you need to study? get a new job? move to another town in the UK, take up a new interest etc?

.... but I find moving overseas a costly way to meet that need!

Just a few thoughts!:thumbsup:

sallysimmons Jan 10th 2013 11:43 am

I can't understand anyone being bored when there are so many opportunities available to us these days. If you keep moving every time you get bored, all you'll do is move (which sounds a bit like what you've done).

Honestly, I think it's time to take a look at you, not other countries. What do you want/need? What makes you happy? What interests/passions do you have that could be developed? How could you meet new people and have new experiences? There are a million opportunities from sports, to hiking, to art, to taking courses, to community work and volunteering, to just traveling and exploring this wonderful country of ours.

I read a great blog post today: http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_b...nitiative.html

Don't be a copyeditor!

dunroving Jan 10th 2013 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Wanderingstar (Post 10471106)
Hi all,

Have you considered spending some money on a few sessions with a life coach? (Seriously). They are apparently very good at helping people to make big life decisions - almost like a professionally qualified friendly ear. Many of the things you seem dissatisfied with are just the norm of life (generally life is pretty mundane on a day to day basis). I think it is just more apparent to someone who has seen a variety of places and lifestyles. Variety is great, but as a permanent lifestyle it can get quite "old" after a while.

ldollard Jan 10th 2013 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Wanderingstar (Post 10474915)
I do have a work history, I teach high school. And mostly my CV is pretty full apart from the odd extended travel gap.
38 is not too old to make the move though surely ? I know I'd go , and I'm pretty sure I would come back, I'd have an interesting few years, never know who I could meet, squeeze in another extended travel break at the end of my contract and then perhaps come back to my home town and be bored out of my mind again after a couple of years! lol wash rinse repeat! lol or I could meet the woman of my dreams on my travel cause I'm sure as hell not going to meet her in my local at home or staying in from with hibernation in these crappy winters we get in North Wales.

Hope I didn't come off as rude. We moved countries a lot when we where young, cause I got bored. But I realised I was just bored with myself. I guess thats what I meant to say.

Mummy in the foothills Jan 11th 2013 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Wanderingstar (Post 10474915)

Bite your tongue North Wales is lovely and full of lovely ladies :D, you are bored with yourself seeing you are the common denominator in all these moves.
Throw yourself into the community and appreciate what you have.
Your family must get sick of string all your stuff for you. Do you sit about telling everyone about what they do in other countries, as in "well in ...... they do it this way, that can put a lot of people off wanting to be the woman of your dreams.

Pom_Chch Jan 12th 2013 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10475145)
Have you considered spending some money on a few sessions with a life coach? (Seriously). They are apparently very good at helping people to make big life decisions - almost like a professionally qualified friendly ear.

Ah yes, but a very expensive friendly ear!

dunroving Jan 12th 2013 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 10478858)
Ah yes, but a very expensive friendly ear!

Could be, but considering the cost of making a bad move, it could end up being the best couple of hundred quid you spend - like any expert advice, I suppose.

ldollard Jan 12th 2013 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10478929)
Could be, but considering the cost of making a bad move, it could end up being the best couple of hundred quid you spend - like any expert advice, I suppose.

When did people become so week minded they needed to hire someone else to tell them what to do.

In my day we went to the pub, had a big pub brawl, then after got drunk told stories and in the morning all would be clear. Its cheaper and more fun.

dunroving Jan 12th 2013 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by ldollard (Post 10479320)
When did people become so week minded they needed to hire someone else to tell them what to do.

In my day we went to the pub, had a big pub brawl, then after got drunk told stories and in the morning all would be clear. Its cheaper and more fun.

Sounds like a Monty Python sketch.

ldollard Jan 12th 2013 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10479456)
Sounds like a Monty Python sketch.

haha... i'm only 32 there hasn't been a "in my day yet" but if there was thats what it probably would have been like ;)