Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Adjusting to life back here!!

Adjusting to life back here!!

Old Jun 7th 2005, 9:51 am
scoobydoo

Default Adjusting to life back here!!

We have been back in the UK from Australia for nearly 8 weeks now! We love being back and our little boy in particular has a new lease of life.

There are a few of "adjustments" we are having to make...if you call them that!
Friends...they are all so pleased to see us , and us them, but some of them are driving us potty! They seem to be stuck in a time warp and still moan about all the things they used to not getting off their butts to do anything about their problems. Do we try and get use to that or go and find a new selection of friends!!!!!

Us...we feel that we have changed...for the better! But we have got terrible itchy feet! With work, location, everything!!! I suppose it takes a while to feel settled again?

Anyone else got any other things they found hard to adjust to when they returned?

Scoobs x

Old Jun 7th 2005, 9:56 am
julie

jul44 is a jewel in the roughjul44 is a jewel in the roughjul44 is a jewel in the roughjul44 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Adjusting to life back here!!

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
We have been back in the UK from Australia for nearly 8 weeks now! We love being back and our little boy in particular has a new lease of life.

Friends...they are all so pleased to see us , and us them, but some of them are driving us potty! They seem to be stuck in a time warp and still moan about all the things they used to not getting off their butts to do anything about their problems. Do we try and get use to that or go and find a new selection of friends!!!!!

Us...we feel that we have changed...for the better! But we have got terrible itchy feet! With work, location, everything!!! I suppose it takes a while to feel settled again?

Anyone else got any other things they found hard to adjust to when they returned?

Scoobs x
What made you want to move back to the U.K.?
Where were you living in Australia?
Sorry for all the questions, but just curious!

Julie
Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:41 am
Just Joined

happy2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Adjusting to life back here!!

Scoobs x
Hi Scoobydoo,

Great to hear you are settling back in well after Oz.

I guess you would have itchy feet, I expect we will to when we get back. As for your mates, just bear with them, after all - you have just experienced quite an adventure..... for some it would be just un-thinkable.

As for us, we are just in the process of making arrangements for our return... had a couple of shipping companies round today .. have not got a price from them yet though.

Can I ask, did you ship your gear back and if so how much did you pay ? I would just like to get an idea of what costs to expect. We are in Perth and have about 20 cubic metres (what ever that means! ) of "stuff"

Cheers
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:03 am
scoobydoo

Julie...we were in Melbourne, gave it just over a year and decided for many reasons that it wasn't right for us. Me homesick, son missed friends and education issues, we missed friends and family. There wasn't enough there for us to warrant living miles from family.

Happy2...we shipped all our stuff back, 20 foot container with Kents, no insurance ( ) for $7000 roughly. Wridgeways and Grace gave us similar quotes.

Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Julie...we were in Melbourne, gave it just over a year and decided for many reasons that it wasn't right for us. Me homesick, son missed friends and education issues, we missed friends and family. There wasn't enough there for us to warrant living miles from family.

Happy2...we shipped all our stuff back, 20 foot container with Kents, no insurance ( ) for $7000 roughly. Wridgeways and Grace gave us similar quotes.

Thanks for that Scooby...its a great help.

$7000 - phew..... will have to sell my body I think !!! :scared:

Our reasons exactly for returning, although we have seen fantastic places and met lovely people.. Just want to go home ... happy2
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by happy2
Thanks for that Scooby...its a great help.

$7000 - phew..... will have to sell my body I think !!! :scared:

Our reasons exactly for returning, although we have seen fantastic places and met lovely people.. Just want to go home ... happy2
Happy2

We used Chess removals from Perth to UK, a 20ft container cost approx £6500 including insurance. Good service, packers etc. no problems. Good luck!
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kath
Happy2

We used Chess removals from Perth to UK, a 20ft container cost approx £6500 including insurance. Good service, packers etc. no problems. Good luck!
Hi Kath

Thanks - good to hear from you.

Got Chess coming Thursday, so will see what he has to say ..your price seems better and with Insurance too. Australian Vanlines told me today, that we have approx 22 Cubic metres.. Thanks ....
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Whoops, meant to say $6500 not £ !! You can see I've settled back here well!
Old Jun 7th 2005, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kath
Whoops, meant to say $6500 not £ !! You can see I've settled back here well!
Oh ... I never even clocked that ... ya can tell I am in a whirl here !!!
Old Jun 7th 2005, 3:03 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happy2
Oh ... I never even clocked that ... ya can tell I am in a whirl here !!!

Hiya Happy
Cor what time is it in Oz? how come you not in beddy byes...an owl perhaps...just kidding. We moved back from Sydney with TranInternational and I think it cost approx $8000 for 20ft container. We took out special insurance on our TV, washing machine in case of mechanical damage and sure enough our TV was buggered when we tried it here in the UK. Apparently it didn't like the "move" so insurance paid up no probs.

We sold some bits to get it down into a 20ft container.

Good luck with your plans....what part of Uk you heading back too?

Cheers
P
Old Jun 7th 2005, 5:18 pm
Merlot

Scoobs x
Took about 10 months to really feel like I knew what the heck was going on in the UK, even now still feel like an alien at times, so does hubby.

The moving lark puts you in limbo land somewhat and yes the friends and most of the general public in the UK, can be a REAL BIG bunch of whingers - I miss the positivity from the Australians and YES the weather does make the different too.

Not sure if we will ever settle anywhere now But in saying that happy for the moment.

M

Old Jun 8th 2005, 3:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pants
Hiya Happy
Cor what time is it in Oz? how come you not in beddy byes...an owl perhaps...just kidding. We moved back from Sydney with TranInternational and I think it cost approx $8000 for 20ft container. We took out special insurance on our TV, washing machine in case of mechanical damage and sure enough our TV was buggered when we tried it here in the UK. Apparently it didn't like the "move" so insurance paid up no probs.

We sold some bits to get it down into a 20ft container.

Good luck with your plans....what part of Uk you heading back too?

Cheers
P
Hi Pants

Think it was only about 9.30-10pm ... tweet twooo......

Thanks for the info, good tip regarding insurance for white goods etc - we are moving back to Northampton.

Cheers
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:40 pm
Merlot

Scoobs x
Scoobs, do you ever discount a return to Australia or maybe a start in another place?

M

Old Jun 9th 2005, 7:00 am
scoobydoo

Originally Posted by Merlot
Scoobs, do you ever discount a return to Australia or maybe a start in another place?

M

We will go back to Australia for holidays as we have family there, but not to live as I was so unhappy there. Although we have got 3.5 years left on the visas.......I didn't just say that did I!!!??? Our heads are all over the place at the moment!!

We are so happy here BUT as you know the itchy feet syndrome is mad! We have thought about Europe somewhere, New Zealand, but we have a child and there is no way that we can uproot him again for a while, if at all as I think he has had enough of moving too!

Now if we were childless that would be a whole different kettle of fish! We just have to stay put now and save up, keeping our little ideas until we are free to travel around. I will have to channel my restlessnes into something else!!

Now off to sit out on our lovely new decking with coffee...it is beautiful here this morning!

Old Jun 9th 2005, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

We will go back to Australia for holidays as we have family there, but not to live as I was so unhappy there. Although we have got 3.5 years left on the visas.......I didn't just say that did I!!!??? Our heads are all over the place at the moment!!

We are so happy here BUT as you know the itchy feet syndrome is mad! We have thought about Europe somewhere, New Zealand, but we have a child and there is no way that we can uproot him again for a while, if at all as I think he has had enough of moving too!

Now if we were childless that would be a whole different kettle of fish! We just have to stay put now and save up, keeping our little ideas until we are free to travel around. I will have to channel my restlessnes into something else!!

Now off to sit out on our lovely new decking with coffee...it is beautiful here this morning!

Hi,

Just a quick observation - if one of your main reasons for moving back was the distance and missing friends and family, why consider New Zealand isn't that further than Australia, and I cant imagine it being that much different from Ox either.

Regards

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.