Reload this Page >

Adjective that best describes an Aussie

Adjective that best describes an Aussie

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 5:23 pm
Badge

Default Re: Adjective that best describes an Aussie

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Badge,

I'm glad the people wanted to meet you etc. A suggestion - I know it's a free country and all that, but wouldn't it be more relevant for you to post these comments under the thread "Why move to Australia" in the NZ-Oz forum?

Your views about your own and Aussies' social skills have already been made (and then some...).

Please, just leave us socially inept beings in peace...

I could ask you guys why you rain on our parade!! Hey - believe it or not, there are professionals in this country who can read and write, and wear suits, and have computer skills, in fact PROGRAM computers in new technologies - which is what I am doing now...why? I am working on something that wlll cut down on my development time at work. Investment and all that. No time for utes this arvo - maybe later.

I've enjoyed it mate. I wanted to come on here this morning, and contribute without my usual 'exuberance'.

Badge

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 5:27 pm
Badge

I have a lot of energy yup. The same energy that allows me to get on with life when others would give up. (I'm not referring to Australian migration here)

Cheers

Badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Feb 22nd 2004 at 5:30 pm.

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Gladrags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by aussie73
l will make a deal with you, l will disappear when the English
cricket team wins the Ashes.
Back to that good old fashioned Aussie obsession with sport. How sad and a little demeaning.

Last edited by Gladrags; Feb 22nd 2004 at 5:38 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by badgersmount
I have a lot of energy yup. The same energy that allows me to get on with life when others would give up. (I'm not referring to Australian migration here)

Cheers

Badge
Badgers. You are reminding me of those people who stand on your doorstep and try to convert the non converted. Trouble is the people on here have been here and done that. I think your preachin' to lost souls me included. Sadly I think its yourself your trying to convince.

Look its difficult when you first arrive the job sit is not like that in the UK, jobs here are not dime a dozen. Your stuck a fair way from the City, your partner has gone back to the UK for a while, thats probably not easy for you. It does looks a bit odd you keep posting on here (Moving back yadda yadda), but so what?? if your having your doubts about OZ just say so, nobody heres gonna rubbish you for that.

Get it out of your system, have a whinge.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Gladrags is an unknown quantity at this point

nice one, to be fair, the stereotype of the UK is probably because all the pommie migrants slag it off to those Australians who haven't had the fortune of having been ;-)

I don't slag off the UK, I say I find Australia particularly easy on the lifestyle - and I don't mean bbqs and beaches, or I say I like Australians and their culture (which of course is positive, and is guaranteed to go down well, because I am not escaping anything or coming for material reasons)

I meet Aussies in London who have been to the UK for 10 years, love it there, have no intention of going back (just yet) but they still don't sell Australia short and will talk about what they did as kids and teenagers which they admit they would want their kids to do.

The UK is also very suburban, albeit greyer, and people's lives often consist of drinking warm beer (I used to!) and having a jaunt to Spain, despite all the opportunity there is.

One last point, I am also bewildered, if I REALLY think about it, why Australians are so positive about their country. They're not allowed to, surely!! This is what I've come up with:

In the 9-5 big scheme of things, average poeple don't think about much more than the 9-5, they concentrate on the easily rationalised things - their homes, their friends, the weather, their health, and it doesn't take the brains of an archbishop when they compare what they have to what they see on TV; grey skies and overcrowding in Europe and strife in the Middle East, the overkill in the US, that really, for what they have, life IS pretty good - really.

And, when they tell people they are Australian, everyone says "you guys are so nice, so laid back", or when visitors come over they say the same, is it any wonder why Australians love their country????!!!! I don't recall the last time someone said to me:

"You're English, from England - wow!!! You guys are great! "

I have Aussie mates who had a ball in the Uk - why, because UK girls couldn't get enough of them!! Maybe there is jealously here. I bet this causes a problem in London! Bloody hell, this could be a bit controversial!! Just what I'm told by Aussie mates. Not my view!!

is this idea worthy of any weight? (the fact that aussies see what they could get elsewhere, and think, mmmmm - no thanks).

Badge
Just a point ...my life DOESN'T consist of drinking warm beer or having a jaunt to Spain (in the sense that you mean). Neither do I consider England to be all grey skies and suburbia (in fact I think of it as green and diverse). All of which are the classic stereotypical put downs I'd expect an ignorant Australian to come up with. Luckily I have encountered many educated and interesting Australians.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 5:51 pm
Badge

Aussie73, use experiences and facts, (ones you can back up), even if they are doubtful, don't slag off people, you will automatically lose your argument in many people's minds. Keep your argument clean and you will always be entitled to it. (I get too exuberant sometimes!)

For what it's worth I have met quite a few VICtorians who are not that obsessed with sport. So don't make a rod for your back.

Badge

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 5:57 pm
Badge

Originally posted by Gladrags
All of which are the classic stereotypical put downs I'd expect an ignorant Australian to come up with. Luckily I have encountered many educated and interesting Australians.
Indeed. My question was, if they do, WHERE do they get this idea from? Summer 2003 in the UK was a beauty. I have fond memories of it, it was like a goodbye present.

Badge

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 6:41 pm
Badge

Dotty Dotty

I am here because there has been some pretty tasty subject matter on in this forum. What fun. Thanks Mike - you created some good material.

I am in here because I can see both sides. I am enjoying the argument. Mike, good old Mike, who was a tad insulting to me the other day, even asked me to 'leave' POLITELY, he didn't come back with a quip - I suspect because he knew I had made a particular effort not to be my usual 'exuberant' persona, but to make considered argument. Maybe people have come too accustomed to insults.

I have also seized on some of Australian culture negatives. Have any of you ever noticed that I do actually agree with you some of the time on many matters? Notice how I love Australia but never fall in to the traps of liking beaches etc - all the usual red tinted stuff? Noone has answered my question:

eg. WHY are Aussies so proud of their country? What's the X factor? Why do they? I may even pose this one to some mates who say they love it - they have never left here certainly.

I admit to being a tad addicted to the current run of posts this last few days, my contribution all started with me AGREEING with you about the weather. Read back! I then defended myself on 'dreamer' charges and then got sucked in, especially when that professor also got me wrong. I corrected him as well.

I multi-task Dotty that is why I am here. I could spend the time having a smoko but I don't smoke.

Dotty BTW I like you alot. I'm not even having a go at you, putting the record straight. I can see where you come from a lot of time. And I'm not trying to have the last word - I believe in fairness, facts and experiences, not insults, games or accusations.

Badge

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs Mike Stanton here.

Unfortunately, Mike has been carried away by men in white suits.

He was drooling uncontrollably and gibbering quietly to himself.

It sounded something like "Please, please, make him stop..."

Obviously, something's badgering him.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

scottm is an unknown quantity at this point

I have Aussie mates who had a ball in the Uk - why, because UK girls couldn't get enough of them!!

Mr Badger, do you wonder what Mrs Badger, is "really" up to in the UK?

scott
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth I have met quite a few VICtorians who are not that obsessed with sport. So don't make a rod for your back.

Badge
They're only obsessed with sport when they win something . I'm being honest when I say 80% of the guys in my team in Melbourne were overweight and did not participate in any sporting activity. Half of them smoked. (And as for the 9-5 and then they're out of there.....forget it, not in the city.) I was the only person in my company to cycle to work (out of 200 employees), and they all used to think I was crazy for cycling so far....far? it was only 9kms and took 22 mins! Sport mad? As spectators perhaps.

Last edited by HiddenPaw; Feb 22nd 2004 at 8:14 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 9:07 pm
Badge

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Mrs Mike Stanton here.

Unfortunately, Mike has been carried away by men in white suits.

He was drooling uncontrollably and gibbering quietly to himself.

It sounded something like "Please, please, make him stop..."

Obviously, something's badgering him.
What a shame. Mate you can't touch me, the more you pun and joke and squirm, the stronger I get. I don't insult. I don't play. I even contribute to, and see you and your chums point of view! Value for money or what?!

BALANCED FACTS and experiences make a track record mate. Remember. Not puns, insults, accusations, or dreams. see ya.

Now come back to me with Shakespeare.

Scott, as for MrsB, I'm sure you can enlighten me. I've heard it all before.

Badge

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

scottm is an unknown quantity at this point

Scott, as for MrsB, I'm sure you can enlighten me. I've heard it all before.
Has she got a habit of playing away then

scottm
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 9:39 pm
Badge

No, I meant I've heard all the 'routines' before.

badge

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 10:16 am
Merlot

what happened to you, Merlot?

Badge
Just another wonderful day in paradise!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.