Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Adjective that best describes an Aussie

Adjective that best describes an Aussie

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 3:34 pm
aussie73

Originally posted by Lany
aussie 73 you are REALLY starting to p!ss me off.WOuld you ever just disappear cuz i doubt many on here really wanna listen to what you say. Hey everyone how about we send him to coventry?
l will make a deal with you, l will disappear when the English
cricket team wins the Ashes.

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Lany is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by MikeStanton
That's a bit unfair; why submit Coventry to such a fate, it's in the UK!!!

How about the Queensland Cultural Centre - nobody ever goes there!!
true! but I think "sending him to coventry" is a good idea. He'd soon get bored if no one reacted to him!
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 3:38 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Meg, my wfe wonders if you have...ummm...forgotten to take your medication today...
No. Need more help?
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 3:41 pm
aussie73

This is my last post. l have decided to leave this forum for good.

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 3:42 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Adjective that best describes an Aussie

Originally posted by Sandra
Obtuse and all its synonyms!

PS - I am having a bad homesickness day
Ohh, horrid isn't it!! Go eat some chocolate and chear yourself up, but go easy as I've put on sooooo much weight because thats all I do!!!!!!

My words for Aussies:

Definitely 'Blinkered' NEVER look outside the circle.

'Ignorance' about other countries especially the UK

'Patriotic' which I wish the British were

Like to 'smoke their own pipe' and love hearing themselves tell others about what they can do.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by aussie73
l will make a deal with you, l will disappear when the English
cricket team wins the Ashes.
Obviously, England's won the Ashes...
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 3:58 pm
Merlot

Obviously, England's won the Ashes...
I think that is GOODBYE aussie73!

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 4:04 pm
Badge

Originally posted by dazuk

I hated all that shite, most Aussies (including my aussie wifes mum) had never left aus/nz but would constantly go on about oz being the greatest/oh uk is such a dump no wonder you all want to come here.

Bollocks to them, Aus is very very average a stifling place where suburban mediocrity is encouaged and celebrated, maybe a palce to retire, but to live in your prime???:scared: :scared: I,ll leave that to the Aussie 30 somethings who think that a social life consists of RSL's BBQ's and the annual jaunt to the gold coast.

F&%K THAT SH&T
nice one, to be fair, the stereotype of the UK is probably because all the pommie migrants slag it off to those Australians who haven't had the fortune of having been ;-)

I don't slag off the UK, I say I find Australia particularly easy on the lifestyle - and I don't mean bbqs and beaches, or I say I like Australians and their culture (which of course is positive, and is guaranteed to go down well, because I am not escaping anything or coming for material reasons)

I meet Aussies in London who have been to the UK for 10 years, love it there, have no intention of going back (just yet) but they still don't sell Australia short and will talk about what they did as kids and teenagers which they admit they would want their kids to do.

The UK is also very suburban, albeit greyer, and people's lives often consist of drinking warm beer (I used to!) and having a jaunt to Spain, despite all the opportunity there is.

One last point, I am also bewildered, if I REALLY think about it, why Australians are so positive about their country. They're not allowed to, surely!! This is what I've come up with:

In the 9-5 big scheme of things, average poeple don't think about much more than the 9-5, they concentrate on the easily rationalised things - their homes, their friends, the weather, their health, and it doesn't take the brains of an archbishop when they compare what they have to what they see on TV; grey skies and overcrowding in Europe and strife in the Middle East, the overkill in the US, that really, for what they have, life IS pretty good - really.

And, when they tell people they are Australian, everyone says "you guys are so nice, so laid back", or when visitors come over they say the same, is it any wonder why Australians love their country????!!!! I don't recall the last time someone said to me:

"You're English, from England - wow!!! You guys are great! "

I have Aussie mates who had a ball in the Uk - why, because UK girls couldn't get enough of them!! Maybe there is jealously here. I bet this causes a problem in London! Bloody hell, this could be a bit controversial!! Just what I'm told by Aussie mates. Not my view!!

is this idea worthy of any weight? (the fact that aussies see what they could get elsewhere, and think, mmmmm - no thanks).

Badge

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 4:13 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by janeyray
Ohh, horrid isn't it!! Go eat some chocolate and chear yourself up, but go easy as I've put on sooooo much weight because thats all I do!!!!!!

My words for Aussies:

Definitely 'Blinkered' NEVER look outside the circle.

'Ignorance' about other countries especially the UK

'Patriotic' which I wish the British were

Like to 'smoke their own pipe' and love hearing themselves tell others about what they can do.
You know I reckon you have all said what I think so sadly not much I can say..except.......

Pretty shallow...( did anyone say that!!) and not that friendly at all. I think Poms are more friendly and we are more sociable.

just my little bit ...sorry married to one so have to be careful...although he is a gorgeous Aussie..
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 4:29 pm
Merlot

After today's events in Australia the following word comes to mind

SHITE!!!!

Sorry to be so blunt!

Merlot

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 4:35 pm
Badge

what happened to you, Merlot?

Badge

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pants
You know I reckon you have all said what I think so sadly not much I can say..except.......

Pretty shallow...( did anyone say that!!) and not that friendly at all. I think Poms are more friendly and we are more sociable.

just my little bit ...sorry married to one so have to be careful...although he is a gorgeous Aussie..
It's difficult to generalise (although it's fun!!), but I agree that Poms tend to be less superficial.

Unlike the Aussie's "aren't you lucky to be in Gods own, now enjoy it our way" approach, Poms tend to be more interested in the other person.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 4:57 pm
Badge

on the other hand - ;-)

one of the things I liked in Australia in 2002 was the way strangers, or people recently introduced to me took the time out to talk about the "old country" - they liked the UK, or what they had heard about it. They wanted to meet me. At a cricket match, I had a group of kids all wanting to know about England, all the Mums were chatty and friendly. A year later, one of the Mums remembered my name, AND all the last details about me, even the ones I'D forgotten. Social skills or what?

My first w/e back at my old London rugby club, in 2003, days after my return. Standing watching France play England. Got standing next to 2 bokes, who didnt know me that well, but would at least know me by sight. They spent all their time talking about themselves, it was almost a competition to see who could be the most decisive, the most important, the most have the last word. But could they extend their social graces to a 'stranger' who was standing amongst them. I made some observations, made some small talk, in the way guaranteed to break the ice in Australia, but could I break through their reserve, their seriousness, this was a rugby club for christs sake. No. I moved over to some mates who did remember me - Irish as it happens.

It was my first social gathering back in the UK, and I felt "bloody hell, I'm glad I won't have to live here for the rest of my life. Life IS harder". (Those were my exact thoughts and I remember it like yesterday) I went back home and said to my Dad - "mate, its a funny country here. Its completely different in Australia."

And I never even noticed it before!!"

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 5:11 pm
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

yep i agree - shallow - i meant to post that earlier

its a bit like 'what can you do for me' attitude....

and badgers - sorry but where the hell do you get your energy from - its a bit repetitive..... are you working?

if not - i cant believe your on your computer each day and not driving in your ute or in your big pool!
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by badgersmount
on the other hand - ;-)

one of the things I liked in Australia in 2002 was the way strangers, or people recently introduced to me took the time out to talk about the "old country" - they liked the UK, or what they had heard about it. They wanted to meet me...

Badge,

I'm glad the people wanted to meet you etc. A suggestion - I know it's a free country and all that, but wouldn't it be more relevant for you to post these comments under the thread "Why move to Australia" in the NZ-Oz forum?

Your views about your own and Aussies' social skills have already been made (and then some...).

Please, just leave us socially inept beings in peace...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.