Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Adjective that best describes an Aussie

Adjective that best describes an Aussie

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
What is a typical Aussie? Most Australians I know cringe at the characteristics you describe. Maybe I am lucky with the crowd I hang out with.

I have also witnessed those characteristics a disturbing amount in the UK. Just pick up a copy of the Sun, Mirror, Express or Daily Mail. Plenty of flag waving jingoistic crap there.
You're missing the point of this thread. Of couse, no nation can be covered by such sweeping generalisations.

But Aussies are very quick to use the term whinging Pom - which is used to dismiss and put down UK-sourced criticism of Oz. So, this thread is to show Aussies what it's like to be the target of negative, sweeping generalisations. And, as you can see, they don't like it.

To repeat my earlier point; Aussies can dish it out, but they can't take it.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 2:16 pm
Badge

Default Badge makes a particular effort

Nice post Mike.

I am going to make a particular effort with this one. I know I get flak for being 'positive' about something (which is clearly Australia), but surely this is better than some of the above posters who are showing complete disdain and hatred for Australia which is their right, but does not advance their argument in a forum. Your Shakespeare quote, maybe!! ;-)

(I do not come on here and openly insult the UK - although there are aspects to life over there I don't find, at worst, 'congenial', if you will allow me.)

Some of you may say, 'this is a returning to UK forum, we're allowed to', but some of you then come on to the Australia one and make similar noises.

My offer would be 'laid back' (sorry! bit of a cliche, - but in the main true). Deeper experience may show otherwise, but it creates a good impression. A friend of mine has just received investment money from HSBC and made a visit here. He was very impressed with everyone he met. 'Wow they're so damn NICE'.

Mike, I have got interested in your analysis and contributions. I have been thinking about this identity issue that has raised it's head. (I have a break from job hunting.) I would start a new thread, but I don't want to raise my head too far over the parapet ;-) Believe it or not, I don't always like being the centre of attention, I said that months ago.

Some say that Australians have no history, or indeed, sense of identity. I was lucky to have an interesting lecturer at University who argued that there was no such thing as British culture, and outlined why it is there are so many issues with our image overseas. In a nutshell, he said that for all our years of experience, British culture was founded on 'negativity' - quite an emotive word on this forum!

When we look at problems areas of society in all countries we see the marginalised, the ill-educated, the lacking in identity. But one thing I do see in Australia is this confidence. It may be immature, and misplaced, but at least it exists. Surely that is a good thing. I have had the good fortune of seeing young Australians and young English people working together in America on a summer camp, and it was very obvious that the English with thousands of years of history were finding it very hard to offer the same contribution that the Australians offered. What did the Australians offer - confidence, exuberance, friendliness, sporting ability, I tell you one thing they really won thr hearts and minds of the American kids. It was heart warming, and I was dismayed to see the English kids standing there as spectators. Many got drunk that night, and got fired, and I thought, (this was ten years ago) 'no sense of identity!'. It started my respect for Australia.

I have seen the marginalised Australians, and whilst I feel their siutation is like any other with a similar background in the UK - I took heart with their enthusiasm and confidence, the X factor if you like.

Please feel free to argue against me, but no insults. I've made an effort with this one, and invite thoughts.

Incidentally, Mike, I have never heard the phrase 'whinging pom' anywhere in my vicinity. Seriously I have never heard it vocally. Maybe in the papers when the Rugby was on...I sometimes used it myself to give myself some stick. Most Australians I met and bonded with liked the fact I could be their 'equals' in the sporting and banter area. I think this is inherently why I did OK over here, I did give it back, on an equal footing, not as the underdog.

;-)

Thanks in advance.

cheers

Badge "a serious post".

Last edited by badgersmount; Feb 22nd 2004 at 2:21 pm.

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 2:17 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Merlot
You have a good crowd of friends. My Aussie mates are just lovely and a lot agree with the comments made on this site about their own kind!

Where I live on the NSW Central Coast it is a rather sterotypical of the Australian's we are talking of. This is an oberservation and every one to their own. I am not "slagging anyone off". They all probably think that me & hubby being POM's are pretty weird. I say live and let live the life you want but I am allowed to have an opinion also.

I think the point I know I am making is more my observations that make us different.

As with UK newspapers, I'll give them a read when I get back. I was led to believe that Blighty has NO national pride, this will be interesting.

Cheers for your views.
Merlot
The choice of media in the UK makes it easy to avoid the jingoistic crap. Whenever I read the Sun I really wonder why it is the most popular paper in Britain. Here we are trapped with very mediocre media. Blighty does have national pride but is presented in different manners and the worst excesses are easy to avoid. Pop on a plane to Benidorm and I think you'll have a grim national pride shoved in your face.

I guess the Central Coast is not as cosmopolitain as the Eastern Suburbs.

To me it is who you surround yourself with and most people I know like living in Australia and have holidayed or lived in Europe. I also find that I get on best with second generation migrants who may have not developed the traditions of the pre war descendants.

Mike I did not miss the point of the thread I just want to advance it beyond a slagging off Aussies thread.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 2:25 pm
Badge

oops...you wanted a put down...

how about 'total bastards"

(as in....my best mate is a 'total bastard').

Badge

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 2:32 pm
Badge

Mike : you've just recently come in to my 'window'.

I get the impression that you quite 'liked' Australia, have got what you want out of it, and now want to return, or do you actively 'hate' Australia and can't wait to see the back of it?

Badge

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 2:42 pm
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

dazuk

are you still in oz?
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 2:56 pm
Badge

Originally posted by Merlot
Yep, all that ******* flag waving on Australia Day - we were about to vomit!!!!!

Didn't Hitler have similar ideas ...... M
hey Merlot! most of the Australian families, I know just have a long weekend off. I asked my original aussie gf what she was doing for Aussie Day. She said "we don't do anything really, its not like the 4th of July in the US".

A year later, I saw that my Aussie mates, had a weekend out at the island, and they got out a flag for 2 minutes, had a quick laugh, they couldn't give a stuff. It was only 5 because I insisted on taking a photo!! I said, are you going to say anything or sing anything, they said "nah". I was almost disappointed. Coming from a military background, I am used to showing respect for tradition and colours and flags - but these Aussies didn't.

when England won the world cup, there was a fair bit of flag waving for that I recall.

Badge

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Badge makes a particular effort

Originally posted by badgersmount
Nice post Mike.

I am going to make a particular effort with this one..

;-)

Thanks in advance.

cheers

Badge "a serious post".
Badge,

I didn't have any problems with that post - I don't agree with quite a few points, but that just reflects a difference in opinion to which we're both entitled

And I disagree with your university lecturer! All countries have a culture - it's an amalgamation and shared history/experiences of its different races and religions. However, there is an argument that many countries' cultures are becoming increasingly homogenised - mainly due to US influence. In this sense, UK and Oz are similar.

I have only heard the phrase "whinging pom" on this web site and in the media. Of course, it could be that I'm just becoming deaf
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 3:02 pm
Badge

Default Re: Badge makes a particular effort

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Badge,

I have only heard the phrase "whinging pom" on this web site and in the media. Of course, it could be that I'm just becoming deaf
I see - I thought perhaps you had been the victim of a recent campaign - it must hurt. Cheers.

BM

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Lany is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by dazuk
I could not believe the over nationistic tones of the palce when I was there. Do they still show those big kev "stryla is the best country in the world" type ads??
yes daz they bloody well do and it makes me want to vomit!!! Buy this buy that it's australian owned and made, don't buy nurofen buy herron blue bcuz nurofen are imported blah blah, proudly made in australia blah blah.....barf!!
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by badgersmount
Mike : you've just recently come in to my 'window'.

I get the impression that you quite 'liked' Australia, have got what you want out of it, and now want to return, or do you actively 'hate' Australia and can't wait to see the back of it?

Badge
Hate Oz? Nope - I even became a citizen after 2 years.

I still like it. Like I said before, Oz has good and bad points. And after 12 years - for me - the bad outweigh the good.

Hell, who knows, I may even retire here. Of course, by then, the average summer temperature will be in the late 40s, and I won't have to buy a cooker
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 3:20 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Cool Words For The Adjectivally Challenged

Word Definition
abbatial pertaining to abbots or an abbey
abecedarian pertaining to the order of the alphabet; rudimentary
abiectic of or pertaining to fir trees or fir sap
absinthial of or pertaining to wormwood; bitter
abyssopelagic pertaining to the depths of the ocean
acarine of or pertaining to mites
accipitrine pertaining to hawks
acerate of, like or resembling a needle
acolouthic pertaining to an after-image or other after-sensation
acrologic of or relating to initials
addititious of, pertaining to or resulting from addition
adenoid relating to or like a gland
adipic of or pertaining to fatty substances
aeropleustic pertaining to aerial navigation
aeruginous pertaining to copper-rust or verdigris
agonistic relating to or being aggressive or argumentative
agravic having no gravity; relating to the condition of zero-gravity
agrestic of the fields; rural; unpolished
alar of or pertaining to the wing or shoulder
alaudine of or pertaining to skylarks
alcine of or pertaining to elks; of or pertaining to auks
aliphatic pertaining to fat or fats in general
alliaceous of or relating to garlic; garlicky
alopecoid of or resembling a fox
alpestrine of or pertaining to alpine regions
alveolate of or like a honeycomb
alvine of the belly
ampelidious of or relating to vines
amphiscian of or relating to torrid regions
amygdaloid almond-shaped; of or relating to tonsils
amyloid containing or relating to starch; starchy
anacardic of or pertaining to cashews
anaclastic refractive; of or pertaining to refraction
anatine of or pertaining to ducks
anconoid of; like or relating to the elbow
ancoral of, shaped like or resembling an anchor
anguine of or pertaining to snakes
anserine of the goose or the goose family
apatetic of an animal's coloration or markings
apian of or relating to bees
apical of or at the apex
aquiline of or pertaining to eagles; hooked like an eagle's beak
araneidan of or pertaining to spiders
archididascalian of or pertaining to headmasters
architectonics pertaining to the arrangement of knowledge
areopagitic pertaining to tribunals or courts
arval pertaining to ploughed land
asinine of or pertaining to asses; stupid
aularian relating to a hall in a university
aurantiaceous pertaining or relating to oranges or orange trees
auricular pertaining to the ear; spoken secretly
aval pertaining to a grandparent
avicular of or pertaining to birds
avuncular like an uncle; of or pertaining to uncles
baculine pertaining to the stick or cane; pertaining to flogging
banausic materialistic; merely mechanical; relating to workshops
basial of or pertaining to kissing
bathyorographical relating to depth underwater or elevation above sea level
bathysmal pertaining to the depths of the ocean
batrachian pertaining to frogs or toads
bdelloid of or pertaining to leeches
benthic of or relating to the depths of the ocean
bibitory relating or pertaining to drinking
binaural of, pertaining to or heard by both ears
bisontine of or relating to bison
biverbal relating to two words; having a double sense
blattoid of or pertaining to cockroaches
blennoid of or resembling mucus
blepharal relating to eyelids
bolar of or pertaining to clay
bombic of or pertaining to silkworms
bovine of or pertaining to cows
branchial of or relating to gills
brumal of or pertaining to winter
buccal pertaining to the mouth or cheek
bucolic pertaining to the tending of cattle; rustic; rural
burgensic pertaining to a borough or its citizens
bursal pertaining to a state's revenues
butyric of or pertaining to butter
caballine pertaining to or suited to a horse
cacuminal retroflex, pertaining to a point, crown, top or peak
calycine of or pertaining to a cup or calyx
campestral of or relating to the country; pertaining to level ground
cancellarial of or relating to a chancellor
canicular pertaining to the dog star
cantative of or pertaining to singing
capitulary of or pertaining to a chapter of an organization
capric having a goatlike smell; of or pertaining to goats
caprifoliaceous of or pertaining to the honeysuckle plant
caprine of or pertaining to goats
carceral of or relating to prisons
cardinalitial pertaining to church cardinals
caricous like or relating to figs
carious of or pertaining to dental cavities; decayed
carneous fleshy; flesh-coloured; like or relating to flesh
carnificial of or pertaining to butchers or executioners
carpal of or pertaining to the wrist
castellar like or pertaining to a castle
castral of or belonging to the camp
catalactic pertaining to exchange
catenarian of or pertaining to chains
catoptric relating to reflection or reflected light
caudal of or pertaining to the tail
causidical of or pertaining to those who plead legal cases
cenatory of or pertaining to supper
centrobaric relating to the centre of gravity
cercopithecan of or pertaining to long-tailed monkeys
cervine of, relating to or resembling deer
cervisial relating or pertaining to beer
chelonian pertaining to turtles or tortoises
chiral of or pertaining to the hand or handedness
cholic of or pertaining to bile
chorepiscopal pertaining to an early local bishop
choreutic of or pertaining to a chorus
chrematistic pertaining to the pursuit of wealth or to business
chrestomathic pertaining to useful knowledge
chthonian pertaining to the earth or the underworld
cibarious relating to food; useful for food
ciconene of or pertaining to storks
cinerary of or pertaining to ashes
clysmian pertaining to or caused by flood
coeliac of or relating to the abdomen
colubrine like a snake; cunning; of or pertaining to snakes
columbaceous pertaining to doves or pigeons
columbine of or like a dove; dove-coloured
compital of or pertaining to crossroads
conative relating to purposeful action or desire
connubial of or relating to marriage
coriaceous having a leathery appearance; consisting, of or pertaining to leather
corvine crow-like; of or pertaining to crows
cosmotellurian pertaining to both heaven and earth
costal of or pertaining to the ribs
cothurnal of or pertaining to tragedy
coticular of or pertaining to whetstones
creatic of or relating to flesh
credal of or relating to a creed
crenitic of or pertaining to mineral springs
crepuscular of or pertaining to twilight
cretaceous of or resembling chalk; of a whitish colour
crinal of or related to the hair
crotaline of or pertaining to rattlesnakes
crural of or belonging to the leg
cryptaesthetic of or relating to supranormal perception
cryptous of or relating to crypts
cuculine pertaining to a cuckoo
cucurbitaceous of or pertaining to gourds
cupulate of or pertaining to a cup; cup-shaped
cutaneous of or related to the skin
cynegetic of or related to hunting
cyprinoid of or relating to carp
cypseline of or relating to the swift
decanal pertaining to a dean or deacon
decennoval pertaining to the number nineteen
decretal of or pertaining to a decree
demegoric pertaining to demagogues or demagogic speech
demogenic relating to membership by citizenship rather than kinship
demotic of or pertaining to the common people
denary one of ten; tenfold; of or relating to group of ten
deric of or pertaining to the skin
diaconal of or pertaining to a deacon
diacoustic pertaining to the refraction of sound
diadermic relating to the puncturing of the skin
dianoetic capable of or relating to thought
didascalic didactic; pertaining to education or teaching
didine of or pertaining to dodos
diluvial pertaining to floods; especially mythical ones
dinic relating to vertigo or dizziness
discophoran of or pertaining to jellyfishes
distaff relating to the female branch of a family or women's work
dolabrate of or relating to axes or hatchets
domal of or relating to a house or dome
doxastic of or relating to opinion
dromic of or pertaining to a racecourse
drupaceous pertaining to drupes or stone-fruits
duodenary relating to the number twelve
eburnean of or like ivory; ivory-coloured
edacious voracious; gluttonous; pertaining to eating
edaphic of or pertaining to the soil
edentate toothless; without teeth; pertaining to aardvarks and sloths
elaphine like or belonging to a red deer; of or pertaining to red deer
eleemosynary relating to charity or giving alms; dependent on charity
elenctic relating to argument; cross-examination or refuting
elephantine of or pertaining to elephants
empaestic pertaining to the art of embossing
emporeutic of or pertaining to trade
empyreal of or relating to heaven; sublime; skyward
emunctory conveying waste; pertaining to nose-blowing
enteral of, pertaining to or within the intestine
entomical of or pertaining to insects
eoan of or pertaining to dawn
epedaphic pertaining to atmospheric conditions
epicedial of or relating to dirges or elegies
epichoric belonging or pertaining to a rural area
epistolary of or pertaining to letters
epithymetic of or pertaining to desire
epulary of or pertaining to banquets
equine of or pertaining to horses
eristic of or pertaining to controversy or argument
erotetic engaging in or pertaining to rhetorical questioning
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Lany is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by aussie73
If you made these types of comments about Jews, Muslims or
people from an African or Asian country you would be locked up for racial vilification.
aussie 73 you are REALLY starting to p!ss me off.WOuld you ever just disappear cuz i doubt many on here really wanna listen to what you say. Hey everyone how about we send him to coventry?
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Megalania
Cool Words For The Adjectivally Challenged

Word Definition
abbatial pertaining to abbots or an abbey
abecedarian pertaining to the order of the alphabet; rudimentary
abiectic of or pertaining to fir trees or fir sap

Meg, my wfe wonders if you have...ummm...forgotten to take your medication today...
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Lany
aussie 73 you are REALLY starting to p!ss me off.WOuld you ever just disappear cuz i doubt many on here really wanna listen to what you say. Hey everyone how about we send him to coventry?
That's a bit unfair; why submit Coventry to such a fate, it's in the UK!!!

How about the Queensland Cultural Centre - nobody ever goes there!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.