Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Adjective that best describes an Aussie

Adjective that best describes an Aussie

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 12:16 pm
aussie73

If you made these types of comments about Jews, Muslims or
people from an African or Asian country you would be locked up for racial vilification.

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 12:19 pm
dazuk

Originally posted by Merlot
Yep, all that ******* flag waving on Australia Day - we were about to vomit!!!!!

Didn't Hitler have similar ideas ...... M
I could not believe the over nationistic tones of the palce when I was there. Do they still show those big kev "stryla is the best country in the world" type ads??

I hated all that shite, most Aussies (including my aussie wifes mum) had never left aus/nz but would constantly go on about oz being the greatest/oh uk is such a dump no wonder you all want to come here.

Bollocks to them, Aus is very very average a stifling place where suburban mediocrity is encouaged and celebrated, maybe a palce to retire, but to live in your prime???:scared: :scared: I,ll leave that to the Aussie 30 somethings who think that a social life consists of RSL's BBQ's and the annual jaunt to the gold coast.

F&%K THAT SH&T

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 12:23 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by aussie73
people from an African or Asian country you would be locked up for racial vilification.
How about calling someone a "Pommy Bastard!"? Not racist?

FYI I am Jewish and my husband's family are from Germany. His great Uncle was in the SS in WWII - we have gotton over it!

Merlot

PS I don't like to name call but you are really a big pain in the harris aren't you!

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 12:24 pm
Merlot

PS Sue my soft candy ass if you like!

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 12:28 pm
dazuk

Blah blah, piss off this is a place where us brits can slag off oz, we are not being racist, we are saying what we feel about your country. You obviously get wound up by your country being knocked, which we all do here. So the obvious solution is to piss right off and go watch channel 7/9/10 news to reassure yourself:

That oz is great we won some sport, oz is great, poms winge again, still their counrty is a dump, blah blah ****** blah

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 12:30 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by dazuk
Blah blah, piss off this is a place where us brits can slag off oz, we are not being racist, we are saying what we feel about your country. You obviously get wound up by your country being knocked, which we all do here. So the obvious solution is to piss right off and go watch channel 7/9/10 news to reassure yourself:

That oz is great we won some sport, oz is great, poms winge again, still their counrty is a dump, blah blah ****** blah
Love your way with words

Cheers
M

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 12:38 pm
dazuk

Love your way with words

Cheers
M
Glad to be of amusement to you

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to prove a point. You're a typical Aussie - you can dish it out, but you can't take it!!

But now I realise that I've totally missed the point. You don't need an adjective, the word "Aussie" says it all.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

How about calling someone a "Pommy Bastard!"? Not racist?

FYI I am Jewish and my husband's family are from Germany. His great Uncle was in the SS in WWII - we have gotton over it!

Merlot
As an aside - my grandparents were murdered in the German concentration camps. So, I was totally appalled by the following lack of Aussie sensitivity. When Jews arrived in Sydney from Europe after the second world war, what did the Aussie officials do? At the main quarantine centre in Sydney (Manly) they told them to go through the showers to be disinfected. And they wondered why these people would scream....
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:05 pm
aussie73

Originally posted by MikeStanton
As an aside - my grandparents were murdered in the German concentration camps. So, I was totally appalled by the following lack of Aussie sensitivity. When Jews arrived in Sydney from Europe after the second world war, what did the Aussie officials do? At the main quarantine centre in Sydney (Manly) they told them to go through the showers to be disinfected. And they wondered why these people would scream....
So Australians are now all a bunch of Nazi's as well as Kangaroo
shaggers.

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:09 pm
Merlot

shaggers.
You really don't have a clue what you are argueing about, do you?

How is the school playground today?

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

shaggers.
Are you making a statement or posing a question?

I don't think anybody has said that Aussies are Nazis. I'm reporting what I was told by the people at the Manly quarantine centre.

On the issue of kangaroo shaggers - one half of the pair that suggested this adjective is from Australia. Who am I to query such inside knowledge.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:11 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Just wanted to prove a point. You're a typical Aussie - you can dish it out, but you can't take it!!

But now I realise that I've totally missed the point. You don't need an adjective, the word "Aussie" says it all.
Oh well said

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:15 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

What is a typical Aussie? Most Australians I know cringe at the characteristics you describe. Maybe I am lucky with the crowd I hang out with.

I have also witnessed those characteristics a disturbing amount in the UK. Just pick up a copy of the Sun, Mirror, Express or Daily Mail. Plenty of flag waving jingoistic crap there.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:20 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by bondipom
What is a typical Aussie? Most Australians I know cringe at the characteristics you describe. Maybe I am lucky with the crowd I hang out with.

I have also witnessed those characteristics a disturbing amount in the UK. Just pick up a copy of the Sun, Mirror, Express or Daily Mail. Plenty of flag waving jingoistic crap there.
You have a good crowd of friends. My Aussie mates are just lovely and a lot agree with the comments made on this site about their own kind!

Where I live on the NSW Central Coast it is a rather sterotypical of the Australian's we are talking of. This is an oberservation and every one to their own. I am not "slagging anyone off". They all probably think that me & hubby being POM's are pretty weird. I say live and let live the life you want but I am allowed to have an opinion also.

I think the point I know I am making is more my observations that make us different.

As with UK newspapers, I'll give them a read when I get back. I was led to believe that Blighty has NO national pride, this will be interesting.

Cheers for your views.
Merlot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.