Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Actual experience of registering with a doctor in the UK

Actual experience of registering with a doctor in the UK

Old May 18th 2014, 1:40 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Actual experience of registering with a doctor in the UK

In all fairness and with due respect, anyone who hasn't returned recently will have a had a different experience than those coming back now. Habitual residency is more stringently applied than in the past.

This document may be useful in figuring out what all the fuss is about.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN....pdf?dtrk=true
Old May 18th 2014, 2:05 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
In all fairness and with due respect, anyone who hasn't returned recently will have a had a different experience than those coming back now. Habitual residency is more stringently applied than in the past.

This document may be useful in figuring out what all the fuss is about.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN....pdf?dtrk=true
The only thing I can see (pp. 9 and 10) that indicates anything even slightly different from what has been said on this thread and other similar threads is the text:

"When you apply to register with a practice, you will be asked for your current address and whether you are registered with a GP practice elsewhere. Your answers may trigger the practice to ask for evidence that you are ‘ordinarily resident’ in the area. You will also be asked if you have an NHS number. This has replaced the old NHS medical card. If you have kept your medical card this may be helpful, otherwise the GP practice will explain how to get your NHS number."

It really doesn't imply that registering with a GP will be problematic. The bolded text above has been recited in various forms on several recent threads.

Am I missing something that is elsewhere in the 23 pages?
Old May 18th 2014, 2:10 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
The only thing I can see (pp. 9 and 10) that indicates anything even slightly different from what has been said on this thread and other similar threads is the text:

"When you apply to register with a practice, you will be asked for your current address and whether you are registered with a GP practice elsewhere. Your answers may trigger the practice to ask for evidence that you are ‘ordinarily resident’ in the area. You will also be asked if you have an NHS number. This has replaced the old NHS medical card. If you have kept your medical card this may be helpful, otherwise the GP practice will explain how to get your NHS number."

It really doesn't imply that registering with a GP will be problematic. The bolded text above has been recited in various forms on several recent threads.

Am I missing something that is elsewhere in the 23 pages?
No, I don't think you are.

Elsewhere in the document are references to possible restriction from housing benefit, carers allowance, etcetera for up to six months. So I think that's where the news article is getting it wrong insofar as the NHS.
Old May 18th 2014, 2:14 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all. I am reassured.
Old May 18th 2014, 9:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Returned last July and I needed a utility bill as proof of address to register and my passport as proof of identity and that was it. I rang my previous GP surgery to ask them what my NHS number was to put on the form to aid the transfer of my medical history.
Old May 18th 2014, 11:35 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I had trouble registering at my local surgery when I arrived back from a year out backpacking in 2012. I was still a resident of the UK with a British passport, but that wasn't enough, they wanted proof of address too. There was no way I could get any form of address proof as I was staying with family and had arrived back two days before. The surgery were adamant that I provided ID and proof of address. ID was no problem as I had my passport and UK driving licence. When I explained my situation they still wouldn't budge even though my hands were covered in infected eczema and I needed to see a doctor. They basically said hard luck and provide us with your address. I basically went home and photo shopped my parents address on to an online bank statement and went back to the surgery the same day so that I could get my hands sorted. Didn't feel too bad about it as that was my address, I just had no proof that it was my address.

Last edited by Pom_Chch; May 18th 2014 at 11:57 pm.
Old May 18th 2014, 11:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I had trouble registering at my local surgery when I arrived back from a year out backpacking in 2012. I was still a resident of the UK with a British passport, but that wasn't enough, they wanted proof of address too. There was no way I could get any form of address proof as I was staying with family and had arrived back two days before. The surgery were adamant that I provided ID and proof of address. ID was no problem as I had my passport of UK driving licence. When I explained my situation they still wouldn't budge even though my hands were covered in infected eczema and I needed to see a doctor. They basically said hard luck and provide us with your address. I basically went home and photo shopped my parents address on to an online bank statement and went back to the surgery the same day so that I could get my hands sorted. Didn't feel too bad about it as that was my address, I just had no proof that it was my address.
Was your parents' address not on your driving licence?
Old May 19th 2014, 12:43 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Was your parents' address not on your driving licence?
Yes! But they wouldn't take that as proof. It had to be a bank statement, bill etc. It seemed a bit overboard really. Although it probably wouldn't have been much of a problem if I didn't need to see a doctor so soon as it would have given me time to arrange proof of address and then register say one or two weeks after arriving back.
Old May 19th 2014, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved back in 2012*, I had no problem registering with local GP**. If I recall correctly, I offered my passport, DL, bank statement and a letter from my mother confirming I was living with her, as credentials.

*It was supposed to be a permanent return to the UK. Didn't work out, but at the time, I intended to stay permanently.

** Don't know if it makes a difference, but it was same practice I was registered with before I left the UK 27 years previously.

S
Old May 19th 2014, 10:13 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It just sounds like certain practices can be overly anal when it comes to registering. It doesnt appear to be a policy.
Old May 19th 2014, 1:01 pm
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

We returned in August 2012 after living abroad for over 13 years. We were asked for passports, proof of address, and proof that we intended to stay. In our case that meant my husband's job offer, the shipping documentation indicating that our furniture etc was on its way to the UK, and confirmation that we had applied for school places for our children. We were then signed up on the spot, no new patient appointment or medical required.
Old May 19th 2014, 1:51 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

A bit off topic, but is there a requirement that you register at your closest GP or can you choose?
Old May 19th 2014, 1:54 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
A bit off topic, but is there a requirement that you register at your closest GP or can you choose?
You can choose between any who are accepting patients from your area. You can find them on NHS Choices.
Old May 19th 2014, 1:58 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
You can choose between any who are accepting patients from your area. You can find them on NHS Choices.
Thanks Editha, that's a couple of times you've helped me out, really appreciate it
Old May 19th 2014, 2:04 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Thanks Editha, that's a couple of times you've helped me out, really appreciate it
Aw shucks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.