Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Activating visa then retuning to UK

Activating visa then retuning to UK

Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

miami078 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Activating visa then retuning to UK

Hi I wtas looking for some advice regarding activating the I-130 visa if successful. I am a uk citizen and hoping to move to the usa around september this year, we are currently compiling documents before advising the embassy we are ready for our interview. The thing is my husband is currently trying to secure work in the US in the meantime I am working in the UK and saving to support us both. We hope my husband will have found work my september hence wanting to move over then. We aim to submit our ready for interview letter April to hopefully get an interview in june july although I am not sure of the timescale i.e how soon the embassy can grant you an interview, if anybody knows the timescale after submitting this form that would be a great help

If however my husband has not found work I will have to stay in the UK and continue to earn. In view of this we wanted to know if we are granted the visa in august can I activate the visa in the US and then return to the UK to work for a month or so after. I am aware we have 6 months to use the visa by.

also on the notification we are ready for interview it asks us to put a date of intended travel. We are still uncertain of the exact date, can we put september october or is this too vague. Also if we put down a date and if granted the visa and do we have to move on the date we have stated or if our plans change and we decide to move earlier later is this ok. I am aware they may only ask for intended date of travel in order to work out when to organise the interview.

best wishes

miamia
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Activating visa then retuning to UK

You certainly can activate the visa and return. Note that you have to come out either with him or before him to make it work. It's not a good idea to spend more than 6 months back in the UK.

But his chances of finding a job will increase 10x if he actually has a US address!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

miami078 is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you for your reply. I wasnt to sure however what you meant by my husband having to either come out with me, or I before him. Do you mean after we have activated the visa in the USA, i.e the return journey to the UK? sorry if I am sounding dumb over all of this, we are obviously just concerned re the whole process and want to check we are doing everything correctly. Do you happen to know how long after sending the notification of interview does the embassy actually give you an interview date?

thanks again

miamia
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miami078
I wasnt to sure however what you meant by my husband having to either come out with me, or I before him. Do you mean after we have activated the visa in the USA, i.e the return journey to the UK?
Errr...no.....it's a requirement that the US Citizen enters the US to establish/re-establish residence at the same time as or before the visa holder.

If the visa holder turns up on his own and the US Citizen isn't in the country he'll be back on the plane.