Accommodation and rentals

Old Jan 18th 2016, 2:30 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accommodation and rentals

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The problem seems to be the fear that the animals may/will damage the property, carpets, doors etc. and perhaps the deposit would not cover costs if there is a lot of damage.
Sometimes they will write into the contract that carpets will be professionally cleaned by the renter at the end of the rental period.

There is also the deposit which a landlord can use to pay for any damage caused by renters (or the pets)
Old Jan 18th 2016, 2:50 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Sometimes they will write into the contract that carpets will be professionally cleaned by the renter at the end of the rental period.

There is also the deposit which a landlord can use to pay for any damage caused by renters (or the pets)
Some dogs can claw through the best part of a door in an hour if they feel like it, so one like that that also scratches the walls etc in several rooms will soon use up the deposit,
Old Jan 18th 2016, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

The problem seems to be the fear that the animals may/will damage the property, carpets, doors etc. and perhaps the deposit would not cover costs if there is a lot of damage.
Good point, but when the landlord saw they were just over 2 kegs each, there was no problem. The agent said kids can potentially cause much more damage.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Good point, but when the landlord saw they were just over 2 kegs each, there was no problem. The agent said kids can potentially cause much more damage.
I was in a fortunate situation. I managed to find this flat through a friend of a friend and communication was by email. It is actually a sublet but in March it becomes a direct let with the landlord - if I stay in the area.

I hit a problem the night before I left the USA because the tenant I am subletting it from had not told the landlord he was subletting it. Part of the sale agreement between the tenant and that landlord was that he was to lease it for a year even though he wouldn't be in the area. Not sure what this was about. Anyway, the night before I was due to fly I found out the new owner had no idea about this sublet and was livid because he didn't know me from Adam. I was ever so worried.

Anyway, we had a Skype interview and agreed to meet when I arrived. In fact, he was here to meet me at the apartment and asked me to bring references. After talking to him for about an hour - a friendly and sensible chat- I asked him if he wanted to place calls to the individuals I had named as references but at that point he said there was no need because he was very satisfied. He was mad at the other tenant, though, because he had provided me with a lease that was incomplete and not legal. Thankfully, the landlord brought a legal lease with him, so it's worked out quite well. He's proved to be a pretty good landlord, although I would say they all tend to be penny pinchers.

I did not have to give six months rent up front - only one. He also had no problem with the dogs at all. It's a very well kept building and the apartments are very nice. Neighbours are nice, too - no riff-raff!

Last edited by windsong; Jan 18th 2016 at 9:55 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry "kilograms" � ����
Old Jan 19th 2016, 7:48 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Some dogs can claw through the best part of a door in an hour if they feel like it, so one like that that also scratches the walls etc in several rooms will soon use up the deposit,
The OP mentioned that she had 2 cats.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Part of our management fee includes a property inspection every three months. I would hope the letting agent would notice any problems arising from pets.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 11:40 am
Just Joined

esme07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies - it's interesting to hear such different experiences. We'll just have to be flexible and hope for the best... we don't mind paying a pet deposit, and can manage the 6 months rent if we must.

Hello Esme,

Do you know where your husband's office will be based?

You say you would like somewhere quiet. Do you mean an area which is quiet within Birmingham, or do you mean a rural quieter area outside the perimeter of Birmingham (or both!)?

Are there other areas of England you will visit regularly? The reason I ask is that getting from one end of Birmingham to the other, to get on the motorway can take a while so might be better to base yourself South/North/West/East Birmingham based on this.

I can give you some ideas based on the above
I'm actually not sure of the exact place yet... they're in the process of relocating from Oxford. We just know the most likely location is Birmingham. Sorry that's not very helpful! Hopefully in a week or two we'll know more.

In regards to the quiet location being within or without Birmingham... it's hard for me to say without having visited! Would you recommend one over the other? At this stage I don't have a preference.

I have family in Cambridge and London, so probably being based South / East would be best.

Thanks
Old Jan 20th 2016, 12:54 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Originally Posted by esme07
Thanks for all the replies - it's interesting to hear such different experiences. We'll just have to be flexible and hope for the best... we don't mind paying a pet deposit, and can manage the 6 months rent if we must.

I'm actually not sure of the exact place yet... they're in the process of relocating from Oxford. We just know the most likely location is Birmingham. Sorry that's not very helpful! Hopefully in a week or two we'll know more.

In regards to the quiet location being within or without Birmingham... it's hard for me to say without having visited! Would you recommend one over the other? At this stage I don't have a preference.

I have family in Cambridge and London, so probably being based South / East would be best.

Thanks
Hello Esme,

Nicer (and more expensive!) areas:

Quiet locations just outside Birmingham - Barnt Green, Alvechurch, Wythall, Hollywood (not the famous one), Shirley. Tend to have more of a rural feel, but you are further from the City Centre. Barnt Green and Alvechurch both have local train stations with a 30 minute train ride to New Street.

South Birmingham - Bournville (has a very villagey/countryish feel despit being only 3 miles from the centre - has a train station), Solihull, Moseley, Selly Park.

Slightly cheaper - Kings Heath, Kings Norton.

These are all mainly South Birmingham. North Birmingham has Sutton Coldfield which is very nice - and quite posh!

House prices in these areas? Good sized semi detached £275,000 upwards. Smaller terraced £170,000 upwards. I don't know if you have tried Rightmove site but it not only has all houses being sold but also gives sold prices for the last number of years.

I am a Rightmove addict.

Happy to give any more help.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 1:34 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Esme,

Quiet locations just outside Birmingham - Barnt Green, Alvechurch, Wythall, Hollywood (not the famous one), Shirley. Tend to have more of a rural feel, but you are further from the City Centre. Barnt Green and Alvechurch both have local train stations with a 30 minute train ride to New Street.

South Birmingham - Bournville (has a very villagey/countryish feel despit being only 3 miles from the centre - has a train station), Solihull, Moseley, Selly Park.

These are all mainly South Birmingham. North Birmingham has Sutton Coldfield which is very nice - and quite posh!

House prices in these areas? Good sized semi detached £275,000 upwards. Smaller terraced £170,000 upwards. I don't know if you have tried Rightmove site but it not only has all houses being sold but also gives sold prices for the last number of years.

I am a Rightmove addict.

Thanks, you have inadvertently helped me here with your remarks about Birmingham.

I accept the properties shown on, 'Rightmove' are mostly guidance i.e. you can't really make a decision unless you have viewed the property, but it's a starting point.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 1:56 am
Just Joined

esme07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Esme,

I am a Rightmove addict.

Thanks Victor! So great to have a list of places to start with. I've looked up a few of the places you mentioned and they sound lovely.

We'll actually be renting (at least for now) but it's good to know about that function on Rightmove. Cheers

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Thanks, you have inadvertently helped me here with your remarks about Birmingham.

I accept the properties shown on, 'Rightmove' are mostly guidance i.e. you can't really make a decision unless you have viewed the property, but it's a starting point.
Are you moving there too? Good luck if so
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:03 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Victor! So great to have a list of places to start with. I've looked up a few of the places you mentioned and they sound lovely.

We'll actually be renting (at least for now) but it's good to know about that function on Rightmove. Cheers

Thanks esme07. Didn't mean to hijack your thread. Moving there ? Um, watch this space is all I can say !

Good luck with all your future plans.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:05 am

Thanks esme07 sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Are we moving there too ? Don't know, ask me another is my answer to that !

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jan 21st 2016 at 2:06 am. Reason: correction of OP's name