Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Accessing travel insurance not yet permanent resident

Accessing travel insurance not yet permanent resident

Old Jan 6th 2020, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

countrygirl33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accessing travel insurance not yet permanent resident

Anyone know how to get travel insurance when not yet permanent resident in UK ? I am planning on moving back from the USA and want to take trips to Europe; however, the UK companies will only insure permanent residents of UK. I have not yet had a full year of over 183 days in UK .. Does anyone know companies that would sell travel insurance in this situation? Thank you
Old Jan 6th 2020, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accessing travel insurance not yet permanent resident

Originally Posted by countrygirl33
Anyone know how to get travel insurance when not yet permanent resident in UK ? I am planning on moving back from the USA and want to take trips to Europe; however, the UK companies will only insure permanent residents of UK. I have not yet had a full year of over 183 days in UK .. Does anyone know companies that would sell travel insurance in this situation? Thank you
If you are US resident then check if your US medical insurance covers you. Otherwise get an insurance policy in the US. One example: https://www.travelguard.com/
Old Jan 6th 2020, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of US travel insurance companies will sell you travel insurance for Europe; if you are resident in the US.

Not quite sure why you are trying to get UK travel insurance companies to cover you when you don't live there.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Thank you , the problem is that I am in the UK more than 90 days at a time and US travel insurance that I have found will only cover limited time away from the USA ;for example , I have an Allianz annual policy , but it only covers for trips up to 45 days out of USA .. I have to be primary resident in UK to get UK insurance ..
Old Jan 7th 2020, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

I have retired and at the moment have been in UK over 90 days and USA travel insurance that I can find only covers out of USA for limited time; for example, my annual Allianz insurance covers for trips up to 45 days out of USA .. I plan to be in UK for longer and want to do trips to Europe , but am stuck not being able to get UK insurance because I"m not resident and my USA travel insurance won't cover trips over 45 days ..
Old Jan 7th 2020, 11:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I have retired and at the moment have been in UK over 90 days and USA travel insurance that I can find only covers out of USA for limited time; for example, my annual Allianz insurance covers for trips up to 45 days out of USA .. I plan to be in UK for longer and want to do trips to Europe , but am stuck not being able to get UK insurance because I"m not resident and my USA travel insurance won't cover trips over 45 days ..
Sounds like you need something similar to backpackers insurance, rather than just 'normal' travel insurance. Then longer trips will be covered too.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

There is no problem getting US travel insurance for over 45 days.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, do you know of a company ?
Old Jan 7th 2020, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you , never heard of backpacker's insurance , but I will check it out ..
Old Jan 7th 2020, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you, do you know of a company ?
I gave you a link in #2