Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Absolutely fabulous...yeah right

Absolutely fabulous...yeah right

Old Sep 20th 2006, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default Absolutely fabulous...yeah right

We are just 4 month in the rental and yesterday the landlady phoned up and saying that they thinking of selling the house.

Just what I need....when we moved in, she told me that they will never sell their old house...because it is such a good investment...and prices will always go up.

Now they thinking of selling..is that the rats leaving the sinking ship..or what :
Old Sep 20th 2006, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Absolutely fabulous...yeah right

Originally Posted by eurotramp
We are just 4 month in the rental and yesterday the landlady phoned up and saying that they thinking of selling the house.

Just what I need....when we moved in, she told me that they will never sell their old house...because it is such a good investment...and prices will always go up.

Now they thinking of selling..is that the rats leaving the sinking ship..or what :
Poor you. Bloody landlords.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 2:54 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

feel for you Eurotramp.....we were one month into our contract when we found out (through the neighbour) that the landlord was planning on building next year. So, although he may extend by a few months we ultimately still need to find somewhere else....and there's the expense of that as well and the whole unsettled nature of it all. We originally signed a 6 month lease (they pushed for 1yr) ut we said if it went ok we would look to be in here for about 3yrs.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Heading home is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear about your rental problem, Eurotramp. Is there any chance you could buy the house, yourself ? You could, hopefully, get it at a reduced price as your landlady wouldn't have to pay estate agent fees.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 4:27 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Know the feeling - our landlord has taken our money every month for the past six months yet, somehow, has managed not to pay his mortgage, (and I've no doubt we've been giving him enough to more than pay that every month)!

At least the company taking him and his good lady wife to court to repo the house next month were nice enough to let us know what is happening.

Shortly after that we received a letter from the landlord telling us that they were going to put the house up for sale.

Luckily we've found another house that we like and the price is right, (renting again though).
Old Sep 20th 2006, 4:29 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Landlady here...

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but:

We have had tenants giving notice only 2 months into the rental.

A contract is a contract, I'm afraid, and it applies to both parties.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Heading home
Sorry to hear about your rental problem, Eurotramp. Is there any chance you could buy the house, yourself ? You could, hopefully, get it at a reduced price as your landlady wouldn't have to pay estate agent fees.
Yeah right..somebody told them their house would be worth 450k..lol..3 bed detached..very old fashion inside... there is a 4 bed down the road in much better condition for 400k and they cant sell it since about 4 month....

I just dont think is right to take tenants in and then 4 month later kick them out again..
I never liked the house any way..and now I have a better chance to get a better house..just afraid that the new house get sold as well once house prices are dropping..
Old Sep 20th 2006, 5:37 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

yeah that's the thing with renting....that uncertainty - and not to mention the fees! Our agent said we would have to pay another search fee even though we just paid one a couple of months ago!

I have nothing against landlords (Elvira) our last one was great and gave us first refusal when he wanted to sell. But it's a shame some people aren't more honest as in our situation they clearly had a plan in mind to build and should have been up front and said the most you'll be able to stay is 'x'
Old Sep 20th 2006, 9:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Landlady here...

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but:

We have had tenants giving notice only 2 months into the rental.

A contract is a contract, I'm afraid, and it applies to both parties.
Can tenants do that, legally, if they give sufficient notice?
Old Sep 20th 2006, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

We had the same problem last year. 4 weeks into lease they put the house on the market. We only found out as I had a call from the agent saying someone wanted to view!!!! Bloody cheek.

Thing is we had a 1yr lease. They had no way of getting us out. We did have the inconvenience of having to show the place. Noone went for it, so we are still here. Extended the lease for 6 months till January, and they took the house off the market.

One thing you can insist on. Block viewing, once or twice a week. It shows you are giving access, but will not interfere with your time too much while you live there. If your really not in the mood, try not making beds and leaving the house in a mess.. hahahahahah The odd dead mouse will help... Just messing!
We are desperately looking to buy a house now. Viewing one tomorrow, so hopefully all will go well.

I hate renting in the UK. Not many long term properties available. People say long term, but seems they think 1 yr is long term in a lot of cases.

Just remember the dead mice, and stained underwear hanging to dry over the bath works too lol
Old Sep 20th 2006, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Here's holding thumbs for you HM
Old Sep 21st 2006, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by honeymommy
We had the same problem last year. 4 weeks into lease they put the house on the market. We only found out as I had a call from the agent saying someone wanted to view!!!! Bloody cheek.

Thing is we had a 1yr lease. They had no way of getting us out. We did have the inconvenience of having to show the place. Noone went for it, so we are still here. Extended the lease for 6 months till January, and they took the house off the market.

One thing you can insist on. Block viewing, once or twice a week. It shows you are giving access, but will not interfere with your time too much while you live there. If your really not in the mood, try not making beds and leaving the house in a mess.. hahahahahah The odd dead mouse will help... Just messing!
We are desperately looking to buy a house now. Viewing one tomorrow, so hopefully all will go well.

I hate renting in the UK. Not many long term properties available. People say long term, but seems they think 1 yr is long term in a lot of cases.

Just remember the dead mice, and stained underwear hanging to dry over the bath works too lol

You know what..they cleverer then that..they know how the house looks like, because we still have unpacked boxes everywhere..the house is far to small for us...they know that it would put buyers of...so they told me that the father in law is selling his house and then wants to move in our house for a while...oh yes it need covering up a lot... and then sell the house...oh no they are not stupid

I looked at every house available in the last 4 month...and it is disgusting..little tiny 3 bed ex council houses for 300k....I just can't do it...if house prices fall..I'm stuck with it :scared:
Old Sep 21st 2006, 9:02 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

I looked at every house available in the last 4 month...and it is disgusting..little tiny 3 bed ex council houses for 300k....I just can't do it...if house prices fall..I'm stuck with it :scared:

that's our problem too.....ok if you're not planning to move ever again... but we're making tracks for Australia and knowing our luck the market will come tumbling down just after we buy.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 7:48 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Absolutely fabulous...yeah right

tiny 3 bed ex council houses for 300k
My house only went for 300k and it wasn't tiny or ex-council!!! One 5 doors down just went for 305,000 so right here in Ruislip prices are still rising.

Love the rental though.... if anything breaks it's not my problem any more!!! Woo hoo!

Buzzy
Old Sep 21st 2006, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
My house only went for 300k and it wasn't tiny or ex-council!!! One 5 doors down just went for 305,000 so right here in Ruislip prices are still rising.

Love the rental though.... if anything breaks it's not my problem any more!!! Woo hoo!

Buzzy
Dont want to buy in South Ruislip though and I want a bigger house....*stamp with the foot*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.