Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Absolutely fabulous...yeah right

Absolutely fabulous...yeah right

Old Sep 21st 2006, 7:58 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Absolutely fabulous...yeah right

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Dont want to buy in South Ruislip though and I want a bigger house....*stamp with the foot*
I'm not in South Ruislip..... I'm in Ruislip or Ruislip Manor.... people seem to think its a better area.... I cant see that much of a difference myself but I have enjoyed living here for 6 years, its generally a lovely area with lots of parks, great transport links and the people round here are fantastic. Thats why we were so glad to get a rental so close to our old house, we like the area.

Buzzy
Old Sep 21st 2006, 9:25 pm
Love it

chinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nice
Default Re: Absolutely fabulous...yeah right

Originally Posted by honeymommy
We had the same problem last year. 4 weeks into lease they put the house on the market. We only found out as I had a call from the agent saying someone wanted to view!!!! Bloody cheek.
I don't think your lease would have stood up to much of a challenge. If you are renting and the landlord wants to sell, it is usually only possible in the last 8-12 weeks of your contracted tenacy for viewings to take place, unless you agree otherwise. Also, the place going on the market doesn't mean you have to move out. I've bought 2 places where I "inherited" the tenants.

Im a landlord and I've had all the problems from the other side. Like a tenant who was told by the council to stay in the property and not to pay the rent until we evicted her because then she would be treated as a higher priority for council properties once she was homeless! They told her if she just moved out at the end of the tenacy there was no chance of her getting a council place so she should stay put and pay nothing.

Also had the tenant that paid 2 months rent then nothing. 9 months to evict, flat was furnished - he'd sold the lot. Went to court, £2.90 per week he was supposed to pay us. Did we get a penny? Yeah right. Then the english couple from Lincoln who rented a house in Scotland from us. Stayed 2 months then moved out without notice to go back home as they couldn't live in Scotland without their families. Unfortunately, i bumped into them in Tescos 7 weeks after they were supposed to be back in Lincoln.

There are good and bad on both sides.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 9:44 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chinnybloke
I don't think your lease would have stood up to much of a challenge. If you are renting and the landlord wants to sell, it is usually only possible in the last 8-12 weeks of your contracted tenacy for viewings to take place, unless you agree otherwise. Also, the place going on the market doesn't mean you have to move out. I've bought 2 places where I "inherited" the tenants.

Im a landlord and I've had all the problems from the other side. Like a tenant who was told by the council to stay in the property and not to pay the rent until we evicted her because then she would be treated as a higher priority for council properties once she was homeless! They told her if she just moved out at the end of the tenacy there was no chance of her getting a council place so she should stay put and pay nothing.

Also had the tenant that paid 2 months rent then nothing. 9 months to evict, flat was furnished - he'd sold the lot. Went to court, £2.90 per week he was supposed to pay us. Did we get a penny? Yeah right. Then the english couple from Lincoln who rented a house in Scotland from us. Stayed 2 months then moved out without notice to go back home as they couldn't live in Scotland without their families. Unfortunately, i bumped into them in Tescos 7 weeks after they were supposed to be back in Lincoln.

If you have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy and read the small print there is a point in there which clearly states you have no obligation to allow "agents" or "viewings" access for the first 4 months of the tenancy. It is only in the last 2 months of the fixed 6 month term that you are obliged to allow viewings and then only on a minimum of 24 hours notice in writing if you want to be pedantic!

You'll find as a tenant you actually - on paper - have more rights than the landlord!

ChinnyBloke (Hmmm?!) I'm a Letting Agent and unfortunately, as I said above, the law favours the tenant, but not nearly as much as the Local Authority! A Tenant needs to go through the eviction process (in most cases be 2 months in rent arrears before court proceedings can be brought against them) which means the Landlord has lost 2 months rent, paid £150 for court proceedings to be issued, if there's no tenant's defence they'll get possession of the property, or a Judge, in the case of a defence being filed, can give the Tenant up to a maximum additional 42 days to vacate. If they then don't leave the Landlord must then pay for a Bailiff (£95) and a Locksmith to remove the tenant and their belongings from the property. Of course, this won't recover the loss of rent or fees incurred - to do that the landlord must take out a small claims case at an additional £120 (I believe) and then the likelihood is if the Landlord wins the tenant will claim hardship and be ordered to pay back the arrears at about £2:00/wk! Solicitor's actively encourage tenants to go through the eviction process, regardless of the "hardship" faced by the Landlord as it's the only way the Council will treat them as priority!

And you all want to live here in this strange legal system???!!!
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 6:08 am
Love it

chinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
And you all want to live here in this strange legal system???!!!
No, I want out ASAP. I'm hoping to move to Canada
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 7:05 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

:scared:
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Very resposible of the council to help someone to break the law..