Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

About National Heath, Social Security, etc.

About National Heath, Social Security, etc.

Old Nov 1st 2002, 4:00 am
Just Joined

cmaclenn is an unknown quantity at this point
Question About National Heath, Social Security, etc.

Hello all,

It's been interesting reading about all of your experiences with moving back to the UK, and my grateful thanks for any assistance you may be able to offer.

My mother is considering returning to her native southern England (New Forest) from the United States, where she's been living as a legal alien (British Citizen) for 32 years, and I'm trying to find out information about the ramifications of such a move in regard to Social Security in the United States, and her eligibility for Nation Heath Service in England should she return. I read some fuzzy stuff about Social Security agreements between countries, but it still said that many people are eligible for benefits from both countries. Has anyone had experience with these matters before?

Thanks!
Old Nov 6th 2002, 4:51 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: About National Heath, Social Security, etc.

Originally posted by cmaclenn
Hello all,

It's been interesting reading about all of your experiences with moving back to the UK, and my grateful thanks for any assistance you may be able to offer.

My mother is considering returning to her native southern England (New Forest) from the United States, where she's been living as a legal alien (British Citizen) for 32 years, and I'm trying to find out information about the ramifications of such a move in regard to Social Security in the United States, and her eligibility for Nation Heath Service in England should she return. I read some fuzzy stuff about Social Security agreements between countries, but it still said that many people are eligible for benefits from both countries. Has anyone had experience with these matters before?

Thanks!
If she's a British citizen. (holder of a British passport/born there etc...if she hasn't denounced her British citizenship )... she will get full free national health when in Britain. All British citizens in Britain are entitled to free Health care, social security help etc etc. I can't answer you on the agreements between the US and UK... but if she's British.. she gets free health care and social security if she needs it.

cheers
Old Nov 8th 2002, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Rob S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
If she's a British citizen. (holder of a British passport/born there etc...if she hasn't denounced her British citizenship )... she will get full free national health when in Britain. All British citizens in Britain are entitled to free Health care, social security help etc etc. I can't answer you on the agreements between the US and UK... but if she's British.. she gets free health care and social security if she needs it.

cheers
Actually that might not be entirely correct.
She will be able to use the NHS and should have no difficulty getting a Doctor - any UK resident can do that, regardless of nationality.

However if she has been out of the UK for so long she will not have full pension entitlements (if she needs them).

I would recomend checking the UK Department for Work and Pensions website (www.dwp.gov.uk) and also contacting the nearest British consulate in the US for advice.
Old Nov 8th 2002, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Hello all,

Thanks!
As one who lived a stones throw (5 miles - or in 2002 "traffic speak" - about 1 hour...) from the New Forest, until 6 months ago, I would STRONGLY advise your Mum to have a holiday there first. It is a truly wonderful area, BUT - and this is a big BUT - totally unaffordable house-price wise for most, and the traffic in summer is absolutely horrendous - places like Lyndhurst, Cadnam, Burley, etc. etc. totally gridlocked due to tourists... One of the reasons we left...

As far as the NHS etc. is concerned, why not contact the Department direct - they will give you all the advice you need...
Old Nov 8th 2002, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Hello all,

Thanks!

I believe British Citizens are entitled to NHS services however I have been reading about British Citizens returning to the UK from troubled Zimbabwe and getting no assistance with housing, unemployment benefit, income support etc. etc. Try the DSS web-site for further information www.dss.gov.uk

Also, we are from the same area (Near Ringwood) and I agree with Pommiesheila, the traffic becomes unbearable during the summer months and over the bank holiday the whole area is grid-locked! We are thinking of returning to the UK but not to this area.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 11:20 am
Just Joined

sarahplum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kath
I believe British Citizens are entitled to NHS services however I have been reading about British Citizens returning to the UK from troubled Zimbabwe and getting no assistance with housing, unemployment benefit, income support etc. etc. Try the DSS web-site for further information www.dss.gov.uk

Also, we are from the same area (Near Ringwood) and I agree with Pommiesheila, the traffic becomes unbearable during the summer months and over the bank holiday the whole area is grid-locked! We are thinking of returning to the UK but not to this area.
I was hoping you could tell me where you've read about British Citizens return to the UK from ZImbabwe and not getting assistance with housing, income support etc. I've been trying to find info on this for a long time and would be most grateful
Old Jun 17th 2003, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by sarahplum
I was hoping you could tell me where you've read about British Citizens return to the UK from ZImbabwe and not getting assistance with housing, income support etc. I've been trying to find info on this for a long time and would be most grateful
Hi Sarah

I'm no expert on this issue but I will try and help. About 6 months ago the Daily Mail ran an article about a family who lived in Zimbabwe and due to the troubles over there decided to return to the UK. As they were British Citizens they had no automatic rights to the full range of benefits usually available to asylum seekers. You need to pay national insurance premiums to be eligible. They were living off charity, kindness of friends, family etc. whilst trying to find work.

My parents' friends are due to return from Zimbabwe to UK next month and have been assisted by the Royal British Legion who have found them a house etc.

You might want to search on the BBC web site for more news articles - www.bbc.co.uk.

Hope this helps!
Old Jun 19th 2003, 4:55 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that there is an agreement between the US and UK. If you paid SS in the USA, you can request that these "credits" be transferred to the UK and counted as payments to the UK NI system. However, this is not recommended in most cases (my opinion), because in the US, the amount you would receive in state pension is related to how much you paid in SS payments (so typically, you get more than you would if you received UK state pension).

I believe that if you have paid a minimum of 28 quarters (i.e., 7 yrs) of US SS payments, you are eligible to receive US state pension, and this can be paid to you even if you live overseas. In the situation you described, this sounds like it applies.

I also believe you can ask for an estimation of how much you would receive when you retire in the US.

And finally, of course the dollar/pound exchange rate comes into play. If the dollar dives, your US pension is worth less, and vice versa. However, the rate has been pretty stable (i.e., within a range of about 0.20) for many years - see http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred/...xchange/exusuk