Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Aberdeen, Scotland vs Victoria, BC, Canada

Wikiposts

Aberdeen, Scotland vs Victoria, BC, Canada

Old Feb 4th 2013, 11:55 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aberdeen, Scotland vs Victoria, BC, Canada

Time to move and was all set to move back to Victoria as I've lived there before and have a couple of good job offers, but...

Been seriously thinking of moving back to Scotland these last couple of years and applied to a couple of jobs a year or so ago that didn't go anywhere. Or so I thought, so, just as I was figuring which job in Victoria to accept, I received an email on a potential job in Aberdeen.

The job would be as a Project Manager with an international civil engineering company. Tried doing some research on salaries to see how they compare to what I do over here in Canada but they seem all over the map. And, from reading other posts and doing a little research, it sounds like Aberdeen is one of the more expensive places to live.

Anyone on this site live/work in Aberdeen and better yet, in engineering?
Old Feb 4th 2013, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aberdeen, Scotland vs Victoria, BC, Canada

Dunroving, Lothianlad and I think somebody else live in Scotland. Maybe they can help you out. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Aberdeen, Scotland vs Victoria, BC, Canada

We have recently moved from Scotland to just outside of Victoria. Aberdeen is notoriously expensive in terms of Scotland. We lived in Fife and we had once thoughts of moving to around Aberdeen. Housing costs a lot more than the average Scottish town. For example, a 3-4 bed detached house to rent where we were would be around £800. The same in Aberdeen would easily be £1300-1400+
Most of the increase is obviously due to the offshore oil and gas and this has increased the area's costs. Beautiful area though.
Prices similar to Edinburgh.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 12:48 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

JackandVictor - love your screen name ! Isa sends her love.

My husband was born in Fife. Aberdeen looks ok 'the granite city'. Thanks for the remark that it's as expensive as Edinburgh because it's part oil town.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 2:11 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackandvictor
We have recently moved from Scotland to just outside of Victoria. Aberdeen is notoriously expensive in terms of Scotland. We lived in Fife and we had once thoughts of moving to around Aberdeen. Housing costs a lot more than the average Scottish town. For example, a 3-4 bed detached house to rent where we were would be around £800. The same in Aberdeen would easily be £1300-1400+
Most of the increase is obviously due to the offshore oil and gas and this has increased the area's costs. Beautiful area though.
Prices similar to Edinburgh.
Cool - whereabouts outside Victoria are you?

Hear ya about the rental costs but I'm a single guy, like living downtown and don't need a lot of room so the prices I've "googled" don't don't seem too bad.

I thought housing prices were slumping in the UK? Is Aberdeen the exception?
Old Feb 4th 2013, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
I thought housing prices were slumping in the UK? Is Aberdeen the exception?
Yes, pretty much... http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/m...le-decade.html

There are quite a few posters on the US board that have moved from the Aberdeen area - mostly to Houston, you might get some up to date info from them.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future

Hi Hawk 13
We are in Sidney...or is it Sagaville he he! Aberdeen is also a university town so that keeps demand up for housing. It is a young vibrant city so it would suit a young singleton well. HTH
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:34 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Time to move and was all set to move back to Victoria as I've lived there before and have a couple of good job offers, but...

Been seriously thinking of moving back to Scotland these last couple of years and applied to a couple of jobs a year or so ago that didn't go anywhere. Or so I thought, so, just as I was figuring which job in Victoria to accept, I received an email on a potential job in Aberdeen.

The job would be as a Project Manager with an international civil engineering company. Tried doing some research on salaries to see how they compare to what I do over here in Canada but they seem all over the map. And, from reading other posts and doing a little research, it sounds like Aberdeen is one of the more expensive places to live.

Anyone on this site live/work in Aberdeen and better yet, in engineering?
My former PhD student works at the university. Yes, property is expensive in Aberdeen, but there are some nice hosues for less money outside the city (he lives 15 mile snorth, I think). I don't think the public transport outside the city is good though - he has to drive to work.

He really likes where he lives (Ellen? Ellon?) He said it is a great place to raise a family (he married a couple of years back and just had a baby boy).
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:40 am
Up Your Kilt

Ah, to be a young singleton again. I'm a little older now with the kids on their own, so will probably have a go at living downtown to start.

Thanks for the comments.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I spent my teens and early 20s in the North East of Scotland - I went to school in Peterhead and my first job was in Aberdeen and I left home to live in a flat in town.

I know Ellon - a nice town. For a while my family lived in one of the villages on the coast there - Cruden Bay which was a beautiful place.

Of course, this was all more than 20 odd years ago since I left, so my info is not really current , but it was a good city to live in.

Went back for a visit for the first time about 5 years ago and I was a bit shocked at how much more traffic there was and how long it took to drive anywhere within Aberdeen.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

There is a website for the Aberdeen area which includes pretty much 100% of the rentals and properties for purchase: www.aspc.co.uk...the solicitors have the whole market stitched up there!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 4:42 am
Up Your Kilt

Originally Posted by luvwelly
There is a website for the Aberdeen area which includes pretty much 100% of the rentals and properties for purchase: www.aspc.co.uk...the solicitors have the whole market stitched up there!
Thanks for the website. It has quite the range in price for a one/two bedroom downtown furnished flat but at least I didn't fall off my chair.

The EPC ratings were interesting. So, if you rent/lease a flat what other costs are there, other than your rent ? Heat, elec, internet (don't need a landline as I've been living off the cel these last few years)? Am I missing any?

Regarding "lease", are they typically one year? six months? or can you rent month to month?

Lastly parking - it looks like on street parking with a permit - is that the norm?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

The EPC ratings were interesting. So, if you rent/lease a flat what other costs are there, other than your rent ? Heat, elec, internet (don't need a landline as I've been living off the cel these last few years)? Am I missing any?
Council tax - that will be down to you to pay as a tenant.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:31 am
Up Your Kilt

Originally Posted by rebs
Council tax - that will be down to you to pay as a tenant.
Good to know. I guess that's why some ads tell you the council band that it's in.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Good to know. I guess that's why some ads tell you the council band that it's in.
Yes, you should be able to find out how much it will be based on the banding.

You'll need a tv licence as well (about £12 a month or so) - that will be your responsibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.