Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

8 month's back in Uk, probably ponging back to Oz!

8 month's back in Uk, probably ponging back to Oz!

Old Feb 14th 2010, 10:00 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 8 month's back in Uk, probably ponging back to Oz!

Originally Posted by ezzie
Where exactly are you in the UK?

I really feel for you...but everything seems to hinge on the job doesn't it? Can you take a lower profile job for a while, just to make some contacts and not be at such a loose end.
We're just outside Birmingham and believe me, I've applied for jobs I'd never have ever considered before. I've had my CV done properly and have various cover letters and still yet, I get next to no replies from applications I put in.

There is the chance of a job in the UK with a company I dealt with through an old job I had, but that's been going on since we got back and even now I can't get a definite answer one way or the other.

I will be trying to get an appointment with the Jobcentre tomorrow to get to see one of the knobbo's there about getting training again. I won't hold my breath.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 10:08 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave7370
We're just outside Birmingham and believe me, I've applied for jobs I'd never have ever considered before. I've had my CV done properly and have various cover letters and still yet, I get next to no replies from applications I put in.

There is the chance of a job in the UK with a company I dealt with through an old job I had, but that's been going on since we got back and even now I can't get a definite answer one way or the other.
I will be trying to get an appointment with the Jobcentre tomorrow to get to see one of the knobbo's there about getting training again. I won't hold my breath.
Caveat: Apologies to any BE members who work in HR and do a good job at it - I know there are some good ones out there ...

This is a very frustrating aspect of applying for jobs. Some employers are only interested in who they want and couldn't give a cr*p about who they don't want. I have even interviewed before (one of only two interviewees - I knew someone at the university who filled me in afterwards), sent continuous emails asking afterwards and got no replies, even when I knew through my contact that someone else had been appointed. It's a disgraceful lack of respect (and reflects on whether you'd want to work for that employer anyway - though these days we don't have much choice, you take what you can get).
Old Feb 14th 2010, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm originally from just outside Brum...Water Orton.
Where was the stabbing...was it the one in Acocks Green?

So what do you do? I know things have been tough but never realised it was so bad. We were there a year ago and although there was much talk about the recession, unemployment hadn't really bit in at that point.

Old Feb 14th 2010, 10:20 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm originally from just outside Brum...Water Orton.
Where was the stabbing...was it the one in Acocks Green?

So what do you do? I know things have been tough but never realised it was so bad. We were there a year ago and although there was much talk about the recession, unemployment hadn't really bit in at that point.
Yes, the one in AG. We lived right by there before we moved and are only a mile or so from there now.

I'm a Maintenance Fitter / Fitter by trade but can do far more than just fitting work. I have partial electrical qualifications but can't get on a college course to finish that off as there's so many others doing the same thing. I'm on this Septembers waiting list but even then there's guarantee I'd get a place.

If I was a numpty with no get and go I'd be well entitled to the lack of responses I'm getting. But I am putting myself out there, chasing agencies and contacts and applying for work each and everyday.

The UK possible job relies on what happens with a certain 4x4 manufacturer, and as that's all up in the air, so is the job.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

We were talking about this today, how 'job ettiquete' has changed now. Don't expect an answer. Just be grateful if you get an interview. Shocking, but I guess now they have such a great number of applicants it's just too hard to respond with the Dear John letters to so many.

Sorry Dave to hijack thread, but just have to mention to dunroving that on our excursion to the museum today (at hideous cost of $50 for family) I got chatting to a fabulous Scottish guy in his 70's - an ex-lecturer in Economics etc formerly of Glasgow Uni. He went over to help set things up at Deakin uni and has also done lots of work with the UK OU. An amazing guy to whom I mentioned your take on free Scottish uni education resulting in many students who really shouldn't be there. He took a different view and thought it was fabulous that everyone should be given the opportunity to at least try university education and that it really didn't matter if they left after a year. Interesting, but slightly naive coming from an Economics lecturer I thought!!!!!

Originally Posted by dunroving
Caveat: Apologies to any BE members who work in HR and do a good job at it - I know there are some good ones out there ...

This is a very frustrating aspect of applying for jobs. Some employers are only interested in who they want and couldn't give a cr*p about who they don't want. I have even interviewed before (one of only two interviewees - I knew someone at the university who filled me in afterwards), sent continuous emails asking afterwards and got no replies, even when I knew through my contact that someone else had been appointed. It's a disgraceful lack of respect (and reflects on whether you'd want to work for that employer anyway - though these days we don't have much choice, you take what you can get).
Old Feb 14th 2010, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Well, keep at it lad. My stepdad was a bloody brilliant toolmaker...one of the real Brummy gems of engineering. He was laid off in Maggie's recession. He came back the one day after hearing about a job going. He was almost in tears. He said the queue for the one job stretched right around the block. In the queue he saw all the old masters of the trade, the old geezers who'd taught him all he knew, standing there cap in hand.

I think manufacturing died in Brum that day for me.

Still, he found a job in Sturminster Newton of all places. They moved there and that job led to a better one, and that one soon led to another much better in Wiltshire which was an area they especially loved.

So....sometimes jobs crop up in the oddest of places. Maybe look further afield, but don't give up!

Are there any online training courses you can do?

Yes, the one in AG. We lived right by there before we moved and are only a mile or so from there now.

I'm a Maintenance Fitter / Fitter by trade but can do far more than just fitting work. I have partial electrical qualifications but can't get on a college course to finish that off as there's so many others doing the same thing. I'm on this Septembers waiting list but even then there's guarantee I'd get a place.

If I was a numpty with no get and go I'd be well entitled to the lack of responses I'm getting. But I am putting myself out there, chasing agencies and contacts and applying for work each and everyday.

The UK possible job relies on what happens with a certain 4x4 manufacturer, and as that's all up in the air, so is the job.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 11:19 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

We were talking about this today, how 'job ettiquete' has changed now. Don't expect an answer. Just be grateful if you get an interview. Shocking, but I guess now they have such a great number of applicants it's just too hard to respond with the Dear John letters to so many.

Sorry Dave to hijack thread, but just have to mention to dunroving that on our excursion to the museum today (at hideous cost of $50 for family) I got chatting to a fabulous Scottish guy in his 70's - an ex-lecturer in Economics etc formerly of Glasgow Uni. He went over to help set things up at Deakin uni and has also done lots of work with the UK OU. An amazing guy to whom I mentioned your take on free Scottish uni education resulting in many students who really shouldn't be there. He took a different view and thought it was fabulous that everyone should be given the opportunity to at least try university education and that it really didn't matter if they left after a year. Interesting, but slightly naive coming from an Economics lecturer I thought!!!!!

Well all I can say in response to him is "You are living in the past". Times are very different now and the idea of spending public taxes on allowing feckless teenagers to "find themselves" is now anathema. Every student who drops out has effectively taken up a place that could have been taken up by someone who would have completed the degree.

Obviously, there are exceptions and no-one knows how their lives and viewpoints will change, and some students drop out for legitimate reasons. However, most of these drop-outs in my experience take up a lot of resources (we are required to chase up non-attenders, schedule individual tutorial meetings with students who are failing, mark second attempts, "exceptional third attempts", and even "exceptional fourth attempts" for students who really don't have the drive to get a degree). The better, hardworking students on the other hand get little beyond standard course materials and lectures because we are spending so much time chasing up the slackers.

Academia is a completely, utterly different place than it was when this guy was in it. We simply do not have the resources to afford the luxury of trying to educate students who are not really motivated to try for themselves. (just to be clear, I completely sympathise with students with learning difficulties, additional support needs etc., it's not them I'm talking about)
Old Feb 14th 2010, 11:39 am
Just Joined

rparsons66 has a brilliant futurerparsons66 has a brilliant futurerparsons66 has a brilliant futurerparsons66 has a brilliant futurerparsons66 has a brilliant futurerparsons66 has a brilliant future

Hmm, this wont be much help but we walked a similar path. Were in Perth for 8 years before moving back to the UK with our two kids. Came back for similar reasons to you but we found it just as you have on our return, no jobs, weather, grandparents not interested as we had hoped (yup, it was always us going to them!), everything seemed wrong. We would then start comparing to Perth and all seemed so much better over there. We too had made friends just before leaving.

When our jobs in Perth were offered back to us we decided to up and go back after a year in the UK. Unemployment wears you down and we found our selves making a decision we never thought we would. So what did we find? The new 'friends' were not really that interested, the weather was nice but we were still bored, lonely, frustrated, everything that we had felt before leaving the first time -nothing had changed. We were devastated and realised we had fooled ourselves into thinking it would be different.

Then my dad had a routine operation in the UK which went wrong. I flew over with the kids, he was sick for 6 weeks before dying. Apart from the motional trauma we lost about $30000 from wages, car hire flights etc and realised that we could never repeat that experience again.

So we moved back to the UK in December. This time everything has gone smoother. We have a house, we live near my mum, we have friends (we re-established some really close friendships when my dad was sick) kids are happy. Yes we still miss a lot of things about perth, life was easy there. It was lonely and boring for us but it was definately easy. But life experience for us sorted out once and for all where we should live for the rest of our lives and it is here in the Uk - flaws and all.

Becky
Old Feb 14th 2010, 11:52 am
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold

Thinking out of the box here - have you thought of working in Further Education? There are always jobs about for skills based lecturers in FE colleges - full time and part time.

Another idea! I did some voluntary work years ago with an Adult Literacy programme and this led to a really good job offer with the organisation. Then another offer in FE came along at the same time but I'd decided by then to work overseas anyway...

Point is, if you have skills, you can pass them on to others through training jobs or teaching jobs or training the trainer jobs....its a huge industry and you can get trainer qualifications while you're on the job.

Worth a go!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wub
Thinking out of the box here - have you thought of working in Further Education? There are always jobs about for skills based lecturers in FE colleges - full time and part time.

Another idea! I did some voluntary work years ago with an Adult Literacy programme and this led to a really good job offer with the organisation. Then another offer in FE came along at the same time but I'd decided by then to work overseas anyway...

Point is, if you have skills, you can pass them on to others through training jobs or teaching jobs or training the trainer jobs....its a huge industry and you can get trainer qualifications while you're on the job.

Worth a go!
Was going to say, you can get your teaching qualification whilst teaching in an FE college. Great places to work.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

It's been ages since I've been on BE, and I guess it's time I gave a small update.

I got laid off from work last February and I was finding getting work very hard and just couldn't see when it was going to end. It's was more down to myself than my wife to move back as I had contacts in the Uk who said they could help with finding work and at the time it's all I could think about.

Up until about 3 months before we returned we had the familiar problem of making friends, proper ones were hard to come by and a lot of the people we did meet we just didn't seem to click with so much of our time was spent just by ourselves. However, in those few months prior to moving back we did make some really good friends and it was very sad to say goodbye to them especially as we'd recently met them. My wife was gutted to say the least.

Back in the Uk we managed to secure a rental and quickly returned to what was our life before we emigrated.

And where we were when we got back, is exactly where we are now. In a rented house and I still have no job. I've applied for hundreds and so far had 3 interviews in these 8 months. Yes, we don't have to worry about the rent but it's not the point, I've worked all my adult life and I'm sick of being sat on my hands sponging off the state.

The familiarity of being back here is nice and in many ways reassuring, but I have to admit I don't like what I see on the news or what it's like in our local area and wonder when it'll change, if ever? My wife and I worry about the kids and what future they'll have if we stayed here. The grandparents are here but after all the fuss my mother in-law made about us coming back (because we'd taken the grandchildren away) she's not really seen us in the time we've been back. In Oz, I got the impression she'd wanted to be involved a lot but whenever we see about getting them to babysit there's always a reason why. They very rarely come round to see the boys and if we do see them we're always round there. My parents live in France but they always call / Skype etc and they come over whenever they can, they do want to be involved but the distance obviously makes it difficult.

Although none of my friends lives have changed, I've also found that my friendships have changed in the time we've been away. The friends I thought I'd be close to I'm not and it's the same for my wife. We do have more of a social life than we had in Oz but not by much.

I have no idea where I'm going with this and just seem to be rambling so I'll just cut to the chase.

I've been offered work back in Brisbane and basically we have no idea what to do. We have no real preference of where we'd prefer to live, both country's have pro's and con's but our main concern is for the kids. Being in the Uk they'd see the grandparents and have a good life I guess, we'd see our friends and life would just meander on. If we move back the Oz, the kids could also have a good life albeit more outdoors, we'd eventually make friends but the kids wouldn't see the grandparents.

Sorry for what seems like a post going nowhere but my wife and I have been discussing this for weeks and I'm well and truelly headshot!

BE, it's over to you!
Make a list of likes and dislikes but in your first half of the thread sounds to me like the U.K has nothing to offer you and a negative vibe comes out....friends do move on sometimes and families do have their own lives, maybe people can feel your negative vibes and stay away....it's the last thing people really want to feel/hear...no matter where we live..lol...way of the world....good luck and ask yourself if you had this when your arrived in Aus would you of stayed?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:02 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Make a list of likes and dislikes but in your first half of the thread sounds to me like the U.K has nothing to offer you and a negative vibe comes out....friends do move on sometimes and families do have their own lives, maybe people can feel your negative vibes and stay away....it's the last thing people really want to feel/hear...no matter where we live..lol...way of the world....good luck and ask yourself if you had this when your arrived in Aus would you of stayed?
But as always I would urge people to look in other parts of the UK or even the EU, before making that oh so long and oh so costly journey back to Oz.

And even if you do decide to go back, do get in your car and travel to parts of Britain you may never have seen before, I cannot believe how lovely this country really is when you step outside of your comfort zone...........
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:27 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

Just to update.....

Had a phone call about the job over here which has been dragging on since last April, find out for definite next week. If I did get that I have no idea which way we'd go, although going back to college and getting more strings to my bow is something that I'll be pursuing regardless of what we decide.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 1:40 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
I agree with the two previous posters, sounds like you would be better off heading back to Oz.

All the best whatever you deceide !!!!!
Yes I agree with those who say..back to Oz. Your MiL like lots of rellies who love the idea of you being where they are and thus you are convenient to see when it suits them! Many people find that loved ones long for their return to the UK and within months its all returned to 'normal', everyone getting on with their own lives. I know my family would be just like that. When we moved to be closer to my in laws in the UK after the kids were born we hardly ever saw them!! The thing YOU need most is in OZ.....a job. Your problems of unemployment will be felt by your nearest and dearest..when I have issues they end up affecting everyone..most close families will have problems when another member of that family have issues that are not resloved. Alas yes you will be far away from loved ones as you have mentioned but this is about YOUR lives not theirs. Your kids will fare fine without their grandparents....1000's of kids do. Let us know when you are back in Oz!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.