Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

7 years of tax records-how to get these back to the UK?

7 years of tax records-how to get these back to the UK?

Old Mar 7th 2013, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default 7 years of tax records-how to get these back to the UK?

I originally asked this as a quick question in someone elses thread but it kind of got lost, thank you though ldollard for your reply!

Anyway, my accountant has advised us to keep 7 years worth of tax records, no problem there, but how do we take them back to the UK when we move?
We could put them in with our shipment of household goods but I don't think that would be very safe.
They would be really heavy to put in a suitcase and that's not so safe either.
Our hand luggage will be full so no go there.
To scan them all would take me forever and I just don't have the time.
Fedex, UPS, really expensive but worth it for peace of mind maybe?
The only other option that I could think of was USPS. Time is not an issue but how safe is that, it's probably pretty costly anyway.
What have others done?

Last edited by larrabee; Mar 7th 2013 at 1:48 am.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 years of tax records-how to get these back to the UK?

Originally Posted by larrabee
I originally asked this as a quick question in someone elses thread but it kind of got lost, thank you though ldollard for your reply!

Anyway, my accountant has advised us to keep 7 years worth of tax records, no problem there, but how do we take them back to the UK when we move?
We could put them in with our shipment of household goods but I don't think that would be very safe.
The only other option that I could think of was USPS. Time is not an issue but how safe is that, it's probably pretty costly anyway.
What have others done?
I've scanned all the forms and so on, receipts will go in the shipping. Seems like a fair compromise?
Old Mar 7th 2013, 6:48 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by larrabee

What have others done?

I faced the same problem last year. I decided to ship them with the rest of my belongings. My rationale was that, if they were destroyed enroute then they could easily be recreated, if an audit was ever carried out.. I considered scanning all of the receipts, but after scanning photos and other documents, I was not up for that job. My last seven years of tax files were completed using software and I have backup spreadsheets listing investment/charitable/health receipts etc, so if I needed to I could contact the necessary firms etc to obtain copies of the receipts.

It is a risk, but I figured the odds were in my favour and carrying the paperwork as hand luggage was just not a practical idea for me.
Good luck.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 3:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to put them in the household goods too. Maybe I'll scan just the returns parts and put them on a flash drive as a back up.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the replies.

I still haven't quite decided what to do yet. Maybe I should get busy with the scanner, it might not take as long as I anticipate it taking.....could be doing that now as a matter of fact!