Reload this Page >

7 years in New York --> Back to the UK

7 years in New York --> Back to the UK

Old Aug 26th 2013, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

grifforama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 7 years in New York --> Back to the UK

Hi All,

I've been a relatively small user of this forum in regards to visa problems and issues over the past few years, and now I'm back here sharing my story in regards to our decision to move back to the UK in a couple of years time.
My wife and I moved here 7/8 years ago, we had no kids, we were relatively responsibility free, and we loved it.
Fast forward 4 years, and we now have 2 kids, moved to upstate New York to enable the kids to have the life we dreamed for them, but are now having the "moving back to the UK" discussions.

It's strange. We cannot fault where we live right now. It's a beautiful village in Dutchess Country, upstate New York. The schools are amazing, the surrounding environment is simply stunning, and we have a dream house that is less rent than the tiny apartment we had in Brooklyn. The only drawback is that I am a super commuter from NYC. I have a round trip totalling 5/6 hours a day. It's a price to pay for the beautiful place we live in.

However, we are starting to miss old friends, family (particularly having GrandParents around to help out), and familiarity with life back in the UK.

We feel we are starting to miss out on friends kids growing up and our kids being in their lives, we are starting to fear our parents growing older and our kids missing out on Grandparent time. Without family here in the US, our own relationship is suffering because of a lack of alone time (we have limited ability for babysitters on a regular basis)

We think (and hope) that a move back to the UK would be beneficial in a number of ways, and I'm hoping some of you could share your experiences.

I also wanted to ask if anyone has moved back to the UK with kids (our will be 6 and 4) and how the transition form US education to UK education went ?

Our daughter is 6 in April 2015, and we plan to move back shortly after, maybe June/July of the same year. The reason is that we need to make sure we are financially solvent by the time we move back, and we have a rental here and a car lease which we simply must honor. It will also give us time to pay off some debt and amass some savings in the UK.

Should we worry about how different Kindergarten is to Reception ? Can anyone point us in the direction of official sites we can explore what our kids should be able to do at age 4/5/6 etc ?? This part of our move back is the most daunting. I'm not overly concerned about jobs/housing etc. I have quite a number of contacts in my field of work, and I think I should be able to get a job fairly easily.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Griff (and family)
Old Aug 26th 2013, 3:35 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 years in New York --> Back to the UK

Originally Posted by grifforama
Hi All,

I've been a relatively small user of this forum in regards to visa problems and issues over the past few years, and now I'm back here sharing my story in regards to our decision to move back to the UK in a couple of years time.
My wife and I moved here 7/8 years ago, we had no kids, we were relatively responsibility free, and we loved it.
Fast forward 4 years, and we now have 2 kids, moved to upstate New York to enable the kids to have the life we dreamed for them, but are now having the "moving back to the UK" discussions.

It's strange. We cannot fault where we live right now. It's a beautiful village in Dutchess Country, upstate New York. The schools are amazing, the surrounding environment is simply stunning, and we have a dream house that is less rent than the tiny apartment we had in Brooklyn. The only drawback is that I am a super commuter from NYC. I have a round trip totalling 5/6 hours a day. It's a price to pay for the beautiful place we live in.
However, we are starting to miss old friends, family (particularly having GrandParents around to help out), and familiarity with life back in the UK.

We feel we are starting to miss out on friends kids growing up and our kids being in their lives, we are starting to fear our parents growing older and our kids missing out on Grandparent time. Without family here in the US, our own relationship is suffering because of a lack of alone time (we have limited ability for babysitters on a regular basis)

We think (and hope) that a move back to the UK would be beneficial in a number of ways, and I'm hoping some of you could share your experiences.

I also wanted to ask if anyone has moved back to the UK with kids (our will be 6 and 4) and how the transition form US education to UK education went ?

Our daughter is 6 in April 2015, and we plan to move back shortly after, maybe June/July of the same year. The reason is that we need to make sure we are financially solvent by the time we move back, and we have a rental here and a car lease which we simply must honor. It will also give us time to pay off some debt and amass some savings in the UK.

Should we worry about how different Kindergarten is to Reception ? Can anyone point us in the direction of official sites we can explore what our kids should be able to do at age 4/5/6 etc ?? This part of our move back is the most daunting. I'm not overly concerned about jobs/housing etc. I have quite a number of contacts in my field of work, and I think I should be able to get a job fairly easily.

Griff (and family)
Sorry, no experience with the whole kids thing but I couldn't help noticing the part in bold - what the flip? I wouldn't commute 6 hours a day even if I got to spend the rest of my time living in Shangri-La ... and being in the US, I presume that is 6 hours DRIVING (no public transport)??? If so even more WTF. I'm guessing you only get to see the kids awake at weekends?

Good luck with whatever you decide, but even if you don't return to the UK, I'd certainly do something about that commute!
Old Aug 26th 2013, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dunroving
Sorry, no experience with the whole kids thing but I couldn't help noticing the part in bold - what the flip? I wouldn't commute 6 hours a day even if I got to spend the rest of my time living in Shangri-La ... and being in the US, I presume that is 6 hours DRIVING (no public transport)??? If so even more WTF. I'm guessing you only get to see the kids awake at weekends?

Good luck with whatever you decide, but even if you don't return to the UK, I'd certainly do something about that commute!
I see the kids in the morning, sometimes in the evening, and the commute is pretty much all Amtrak, with a small drive to the station. And yes, we plan on shortening my commute drastically (although anywhere we are looking it's going to be at least an hour and a bit each day)
Old Aug 26th 2013, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

This is not much help because I cannot find the thread now, but someone was asking a similar question about getting kids up to speed and was advised that there are various materials you can access relating to the UK curriculum.

To be honest, at their ages it's probably something you can deal with when you get there.

Only you know if you'll be able to get employment easily, or will miss your dream home.

For me, the nice things here still leave something missing, and we can only hope that it will be re-found.

Good luck!
Old Aug 26th 2013, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Lanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Sorry to hear your situation I'm thinking that when you get your commute down to 2hrs a day tops you might look at your situation a bit differently it must be taking its toll on you I guess then you would have more time when your not so exhausted to spend with each other.

With regards the schools my daughter will be going back to school in september in year 2 age 7 This is when the proper work starts. Last term it was pretty basic reading fluently simple maths -+ 2 digit numbers writing and science here's the website for national curriculum

http://www.education.gov.uk/

I take it you've spoken to your parents and there happy to spend there time babysitting
Old Aug 26th 2013, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lanyu
Hi
Sorry to hear your situation I'm thinking that when you get your commute down to 2hrs a day tops you might look at your situation a bit differently it must be taking its toll on you I guess then you would have more time when your not so exhausted to spend with each other.

With regards the schools my daughter will be going back to school in september in year 2 age 7 This is when the proper work starts. Last term it was pretty basic reading fluently simple maths -+ 2 digit numbers writing and science here's the website for national curriculum

http://www.education.gov.uk/

I take it you've spoken to your parents and there happy to spend there time babysitting
It's my wife's parents. They are over the moon with anticipation of spending time with the kids. I am really looking forward to getting my commute down to reasonable levels. I think my commute right now is only bearable because where we live in idyllic. But a move back to the UK has so much more on offer, our friends, our family, etc etc...
Old Aug 27th 2013, 12:26 am
Just Joined

3yearsandcounting is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck. My only advice is don't waste your time wanting to make the move and convincing yourself otherwise. I've been doing that for years and I wish I had taken the plunge a long time ago. I'm in SC (since 95) and moving back to Yorkshire June 2015 (gotta save save save). Will be taking my 14 year old son and that is my biggest fear. Wish I had gone when he was much younger.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 12:28 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

That commute alone is worth moving home to get away from.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 12:47 am
Just Joined

merciacanuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by grifforama
Hi All,

Griff (and family)
there are some changes to health care and education re British citizens who have been away for more than 3 years. in colleges and universities you will be overseas status which means it will cost a ton of money. Also you are not entitled to free GP care and will need some health insurance. Stinks eh?
Old Aug 28th 2013, 12:52 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merciacanuk
there are some changes to health care and education re British citizens who have been away for more than 3 years. in colleges and universities you will be overseas status which means it will cost a ton of money. Also you are not entitled to free GP care and will need some health insurance. Stinks eh?
Wheres the info on this?
Old Aug 28th 2013, 1:31 am
Just Joined

3yearsandcounting is an unknown quantity at this point

Partly true and partly not. It is true that you would be charged overseas rates for higher education if you have been out of the country for a length of time but after 3 years you will be eligible again. The NHS is 100% accessible once you arrive back on british soil. You will however have to show that you are settling back in the UK and not just on holiday.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:44 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

We often recommend the site Talk Yankee for people moving from the US to the UK. It's a US expat site but many of the questions you have, from education to 'how to find decent Mexican food in London'.

http://talk.uk-yankee.com

At your kids age level, the transition will be minimal to almost non-existant. Sure they'll need to switch 'pence' for 'cents' and 'pounds' for 'dollars' in math class, but there are very few differences in lower primary level between the two systems. I'm in Hong Kong now with my children in an American school and our neighbor, the same age, at the British school. Their homework is basically identical, and they sometimes even are assigned the same online resources or books to read. Only noticeable difference is my 7-year old is a "Second Grader" while is one-month younger friend in "Grade 3" given the different naming structures for classes.

We supplement our son's education with some UK-curriculum worksheets and lesson plans occasionally. It's not harder/easier, just a tad different ($/£, what is the Capitol, etc). I use The Hamilton Trust which provides materials for teachers and parents (a few free, then a small fee).

https://www.hamilton-trust.org.uk

Good luck with the move.

Oh, one more point--what is your status in the USA? Are you a citizen? You might want to consider citizenship, merely as a "plan B". If you are on a green card, consider filing for the right to re-enter for a year or two, merely to keep the option open (if you don't know, after 1 year away your green card is considered abandoned, unless you have a re-entry permit).
Old Sep 8th 2013, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

brithampton is an unknown quantity at this point

We've just done this after 16 years living in NYC and nearby - moved back with a 8 year old (who has just started Year 4 in UK) and a 4 year old (who has just started Reception, having done 2 years nursery in US). They have just done first week and have settled in perfectly - they love it. The whole thing could not have gone more smoothly and we absolutely love being back. We are also enjoying being much closer to family and friends and all that it brings!
Old Sep 8th 2013, 3:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Your post is so wrong. The OP's children are young...it will be many years before they go to uni. Your comments about not being entitled to free GP care is also wrong. So no...it doesn't stink.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 8th 2013 at 4:17 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

You have the wrong information I am quite happy to say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.