British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   6 months until moving back to UK... what do I need to do and when? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/6-months-until-moving-back-uk-what-do-i-need-do-when-536434/)

Lalanda May 14th 2008 8:15 am

6 months until moving back to UK... what do I need to do and when?

Hi all,

I'm moving back to the UK after living in Los Angeles for 12 years. I've made 15 or so visits back in that time, and will be returning to family. I plan to take some stuff with me (books, car, but am intending to leave the pets). I'm single, I have my passport (UK and US), and I'm not entering the job market.

I say all this because I'm wondering... what surprises are in store for me?

I have six months to wrap up my living here and prepare for my living there and I wondered what advice you guys would have. What do I need to be doing and when? Any tricks or tips?

Thanks.

cornishvellan May 16th 2008 4:41 pm

Re: 6 months until moving back to UK... what do I need to do and when?

why your car and not your pets?

Dave_Was May 16th 2008 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Lalanda (Post 6348120)
Hi all,

I'm moving back to the UK after living in Los Angeles for 12 years. I've made 15 or so visits back in that time, and will be returning to family. I plan to take some stuff with me (books, car, but am intending to leave the pets). I'm single, I have my passport (UK and US), and I'm not entering the job market.

I say all this because I'm wondering... what surprises are in store for me?

I have six months to wrap up my living here and prepare for my living there and I wondered what advice you guys would have. What do I need to be doing and when? Any tricks or tips?

Thanks.

Moving a car from the US to the UK is a hassle. As well as just the normal shipping stuff, you have to get it certified for the UK roads, this usually means an SVA test.

Also modifications will normally have to be done to US cars to make them ready for the SVA test. Typically this is the addition of side indicators, amber turn signals, etc.

In my experience a few cars are worth doing it for, insurance is a hassle, spare parts can be, resale is poor, etc. For some cars it can be worth it but those are usually the high end mustangs and corvettes and then again it's still a risk.

If you don't mind me asking, what type of car is it?

Lalanda May 16th 2008 7:37 pm

The reason for taking the car is that it's only a year old and I own it outright. It's a Mini Cooper. It probably makes more sense to sell it and take the hit. What do you think? How much would it cost to ship it, do you reckon? I wouldn't be able to buy a new car in England, but I will be in London and will have access to a car if I need it.

And car and not pets. I'm quite happy to leave the two cats in good hands here for several reasons, one of which is the rather aggressive Irish terrier who lives in the house I'll be moving to.

chicagojlo May 16th 2008 8:21 pm

I believe I read somewhere recently that Minis are one of the few cars that actually appreciate in value since they are so popular yet hard to get hold of. You might want to look into what you could actually get for it.
And unless someone is paying for your move I'm pretty certain any hit is going to be less than the shipping alone.

cornishvellan May 17th 2008 6:51 am

And car and not pets. I'm quite happy to leave the two cats in good hands here for several reasons, one of which is the rather aggressive Irish terrier who lives in the house I'll be moving to.[/QUOTE]

if are leaving your pets with another person, well that's what i wanted to know! was worried they might end up in a shelter...