Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

5 reasons why you want to come back to the UK - Part 2

5 reasons why you want to come back to the UK - Part 2

Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:45 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 reasons why you want to come back to the UK - Part 2

Originally Posted by northernbird
and I hope you are all noting that I have not said a bleedin word

Anyway I am off to the pics this morning taking my 2 daughters and a friend. For this I shall pay $15.50 for me and $11.50 each for the kids. Small popcorn and drink x 3 $ $4.50 a pop and you come out with a total of $63.50. yes its a lot cheaper than England but its still not free, couple that with the fact that a lot of people earn less $$$ than GBP and it probably works out the same. Just some food for thought for you but at least no rain coat required today in Perth.
You can cutdown costs by:
1. Going on a (Tightarse)Tuesday (half-price tickets)
2. Make your own popcorn at home, take potato chips and sweets and softdrinks bought from supermarket (just need a bag and one of those chillbags for the drinks)
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:49 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkshire_Girl
Hirodders,
I can handle the opinion's on the UK versus 'wherever' as that is what the forum is about - what I don't like is having to waste my time reading through so many posts of personal nastiness such as single sentences of name calling or telling others they are full of sh*t etc. It's childish, nasty and uneccessary - just my opinion of course

The emotions that go with people's moves I can fully appreciate and I agree it's useful if people could stick to the point
Such a good post... I just had to give you soem karma You should now see more little blue boxes by your nickname.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:49 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
You can cutdown costs by:
1. Going on a (Tightarse)Tuesday (half-price tickets)
2. Make your own popcorn at home, take potato chips and sweets and softdrinks bought from supermarket (just need a bag and one of those chillbags for the drinks)
tightarse tuesday, like it. I had thought of taking own stuff but am a bit chicken and don't want to be chucked out if caught.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:53 am
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rodders39
To be honest I think the MbttUK forum is easily the worst on BE for the slanging stuff... and I'm obviously guilty occasionally, but hopefully only when provoked... There's a lot of people in this one who have some very definite views on things and about half of them are diametrically opposed...! The ones that get to me are the stuff that are huge generalisations presented as 'facts' when with only a modicum of research it becomes blatantly obvious that they're not true... Like there's much more crime in the UK than Oz, or the whole South East of England is more densely populated than metropolitan Sydney...

Then of course you've got the silly stuff, like you need to be brain dead to live in Australia, there's nothing to do in London, etc etc...

As long as there's a MbttUK you're going to get this... But don't stop reading it, just ignore some of the round robin threads, because there's some good stuff in here that may well help you to understand some of the emotions that people go through during their odyssey... And why some return and what they'd have done different... And for the record I'm living in Sydney's Northern Beaches and love it...!
Just in case you are referring to me when you said people say silly comments like "there is nothing to do in London." I know there are things to do in London, i spent 6 months going to all the museums, parliament house, Big Ben, Tower of London, waxworks, Hyde park, jack the Ripper walking tour etc etc. Now that all that is done, I am finding that when reality sets in life is really hard work in London, if you earn an average salary. Most people just do everyday normal things like go to the shops, go to the pub, go to the movies, play on the computer, watch TV etc. So now I am finding London boring, over it basically. I understand you getting upset about negative comments about the UK, I only post stuff on here because there are so many rediculous statements posted about Oz in this forum. But hey, I will never convince you and you will never convince me.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:54 am
Just Joined

Yorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really nice

Such a good post... I just had to give you soem karma You should now see more little blue boxes by your nickname.
Thank you - that's very kind
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:54 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Hirodders,
I can handle the opinion's on the UK versus 'wherever' as that is what the forum is about - what I don't like is having to waste my time reading through so many posts of personal nastiness such as single sentences of name calling or telling others they are full of sh*t etc. It's childish, nasty and uneccessary - just my opinion of course

The emotions that go with people's moves I can fully appreciate and I agree it's useful if people could stick to the point
It's not going to go away, even if the participants change over time... All the other forums are about helping people, but this one always brings out the conflicts...
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:57 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by denver
Sorry but I think that is complete rubbish. You may not have found like minded individuals but many people do in Australia. I know several english people who have lived in australia for 10/15/20 years have have a large circle of friends. I do accept that it can be diffilcult to get into a social circle when you immigrate and that will affect how you settle, but you carry on like this has something to do with Australia, and not something you can find anywhere.
Listen mate, it's not rubbish: it's reality for many migrants, myself included. So don't go implying people are liars simply because you know a few exceptions to what they say.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:59 am
Jedi Princess

It's not going to go away, even if the participants change over time... All the other forums are about helping people, but this one always brings out the conflicts...
Disagree; in my experience the poster is ALWAYS in charge of the keyboard. Whether their brain is in charge of their typing is another matter
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:03 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by northernbird
tightarse tuesday, like it. I had thought of taking own stuff but am a bit chicken and don't want to be chucked out if caught.
Now there was a drama over this cos greater union cinemas threatened to not allow patrons in with bags of food. This got real bad publicity and they reneged.

Bottom line is you paid for your ticket and there are NO conditions at point of sale that you cannot bring personal items of food and drink into the cinema.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:06 am
Jedi Princess

Thank you - that's very kind
You are very welcome and I'm glad to see you posting
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:28 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

...I understand you getting upset about negative comments about the UK...
To be honest, I don't think you do...

There's plenty of things wrong with the UK and indeed Australia where I enjoy living at the moment. The point I always try to make is to differentiate between fact and fiction... When you say the UK is a much more violent place than Australia, it is not true; and I can prove it... All you ever seem to come up with is personal anecdotes that add up to nothing... It may well be that in your personal experience the UK has been a more crime prone country, but that doesn't mean the whole UK is like that... It probably just means that if we compared the demographics of where you used to live in Perth with your current area of London we would see a significant difference... From the point of view of where one can live in proximity to the centre and on what income I can easily imagine Perth has an advantage over London...
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:30 am
Timelord

Disagree; in my experience the poster is ALWAYS in charge of the keyboard. Whether their brain is in charge of their typing is another matter
I meant even if the people in the forum come and go and so the composition changes over time... Not that the same people would change over time... Or did you think that was what I meant anyway...?!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:35 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

So now I am finding London boring, over it basically.
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."

Samuel Johnson 1777

So basically the only thing you have left to do is top yourself.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:45 am
Jedi Princess

I meant even if the people in the forum come and go and so the composition changes over time... Not that the same people would change over time... Or did you think that was what I meant anyway...?!
I thought my comment was self-evident. People choose what they type. It is totally possible for threads to have a host of opinions or views without it degrading into a bun fight. I know this is the view of admin and moderators, and I concur with that view
Old Jan 8th 2007, 2:02 am
Timelord

I thought my comment was self-evident...
I guess not... It still looks like a non sequitur from here...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.