Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

5 reasons why you want to come back to the UK - Part 2

5 reasons why you want to come back to the UK - Part 2

Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:29 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 reasons why you want to come back to the UK - Part 2

Originally Posted by tony_russell
why you always trying to be a smartarse?
Merely replying in kind...

now go away and crawl under your rock
No rocks where I am... Just beautiful sunny sandy beaches stretching as far as the eye can see...
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rodders39
Merely replying in kind...

No rocks where I am... Just beautiful sunny sandy beaches stretching as far as the eye can see...
Ah well, I give up! Carry on bickering if you wish
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gray C
Ah well, I give up! Carry on bickering if you wish
I don't think things will ever change on here!!! This kind of thread always make some people uncomfortable. I think some people need to hear that the UK is a sinking ship as it reinforces their own beliefs (and those of the Daily Mail) that they should get out. Reading that people actually want to move back here in preference to living in Australia/Canada/US, etc makes them nervous. They shouldn't feel that way - we are all individuals and want different things out of life. (I suppose a lot of these emotions depend on the motives for leaving the UK.)

It's great you are doing so much research. Any closer to a decision?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Yorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
I don't think things will ever change on here!!! This kind of thread always make some people uncomfortable. I think some people need to hear that the UK is a sinking ship as it reinforces their own beliefs (and those of the Daily Mail) that they should get out. Reading that people actually want to move back here in preference to living in Australia/Canada/US, etc makes them nervous. They shouldn't feel that way - we are all individuals and want different things out of life. (I suppose a lot of these emotions depend on the motives for leaving the UK.)
I totally agree!

I only found this forum a few weeks ago and have found that most people post some wonderful information and go out of their way to be helpful. What bothers me is there seems to be a handful of people that go out of their way to be really nasty and I don't know why I have never come across these types of posts on other forums and aren't sure why it is tolerated here. I'm all into freedom of speech but not uneccessary personal attacks. It's a shame as it puts people off reading what should be a very informative forum - I know I will be reluctant to post but just thought I would point out why
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Yorkshire_Girl
I totally agree!

I only found this forum a few weeks ago and have found that most people post some wonderful information and go out of their way to be helpful. What bothers me is there seems to be a handful of people that go out of their way to be really nasty and I don't know why I have never come across these types of posts on other forums and aren't sure why it is tolerated here. I'm all into freedom of speech but not uneccessary personal attacks. It's a shame as it puts people off reading what should be a very informative forum - I know I will be reluctant to post but just thought I would point out why
Well said
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw

It's great you are doing so much research. Any closer to a decision?
Still researching, but it seems likely to be rural Spain after our daughter has finished school
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:28 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkshire_Girl
I totally agree!

To be honest I think the MbttUK forum is easily the worst on BE for the slanging stuff... and I'm obviously guilty occasionally, but hopefully only when provoked... There's a lot of people in this one who have some very definite views on things and about half of them are diametrically opposed...! The ones that get to me are the stuff that are huge generalisations presented as 'facts' when with only a modicum of research it becomes blatantly obvious that they're not true... Like there's much more crime in the UK than Oz, or the whole South East of England is more densely populated than metropolitan Sydney...

Then of course you've got the silly stuff, like you need to be brain dead to live in Australia, there's nothing to do in London, etc etc...

As long as there's a MbttUK you're going to get this... But don't stop reading it, just ignore some of the round robin threads, because there's some good stuff in here that may well help you to understand some of the emotions that people go through during their odyssey... And why some return and what they'd have done different... And for the record I'm living in Sydney's Northern Beaches and love it...!
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Still researching, but it seems likely to be rural Spain after our daughter has finished school
Why rural spain, can you speak Spanish? Are you considering working there and do you know what you were doing? I ask that, mainly because I've seen some be very successful earning a living in Spain and others who don't and return. I currently live in Spain and commute.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Why rural spain, can you speak Spanish? Are you considering working there and do you know what you were doing? I ask that, mainly because I've seen some be very successful earning a living in Spain and others who don't and return. I currently live in Spain and commute.
My Spanish is very rusty, but I have got 18 months to improve it. Chose rural Spain (not too far away from the coast though) because we do not want to live in "Little Britain" and prefer a more relaxed lifestyle. Also our money should go a bit further than on the coast (hopefully). Do not necessarily need to work full time, but would like a bit of part time top up income. With no mortgage we want to buy a habitable property that needs a bit of renovation.

We are a family of 3 and hope to live on an income of approx £1,200 per month. Is this realistic in your opinion? If not, that is why I thought we may need a part time top up income.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Well if I could afford to buy a house in the Uk in the same area I was before I left, I would go back tomorrow.
I miss: friends and family far more than I thought I would.
I find it hard to make 'real' friends here in NZ. They go so far but dont quite 'let you in'. I have now given up trying after nearly 5 years.
I miss Europe, far far more than I ever thought possible.
I miss a decent salary and hubby misses a decent working enviroment and decent construction/plans etc.
I miss a decent road network, that can get you to other towns in minutes.
I miss the choice (in virtually everything)
I feel isolated here, stuck in one place, been to all the other places in NZ so many times, now its just a waste of fuel going.
I miss Uk football, live matches.
I miss the Uk F1 stock cars which I spent 20+ years going to, I also miss my Uk friends/drivers who I have sort of grown up with and met only at weekends with most due to distance.
(But I will be catching up with some on 20th Jan at Rotorua when they fly over for the 240cc WC)
I miss having spare money, regular holidays, and being stress free.
I will miss 4 things from NZ.
My No1 son
My cat
Rotorua
The exact spot I live in (cos its sooo nice and similar to where I lived in Uk, I had similar views from my back windows of rolling hills)
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:08 am
Just Joined

Yorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by rodders39
To be honest I think the MbttUK forum is easily the worst on BE for the slanging stuff... and I'm obviously guilty occasionally, but hopefully only when provoked... There's a lot of people in this one who have some very definite views on things and about half of them are diametrically opposed...! The ones that get to me are the stuff that are huge generalisations presented as 'facts' when with only a modicum of research it becomes blatantly obvious that they're not true... Like there's much more crime in the UK than Oz, or the whole South East of England is more densely populated than metropolitan Sydney...

Then of course you've got the silly stuff, like you need to be brain dead to live in Australia, there's nothing to do in London, etc etc...

As long as there's a MbttUK you're going to get this... But don't stop reading it, just ignore some of the round robin threads, because there's some good stuff in here that may well help you to understand some of the emotions that people go through during their odyssey... And why some return and what they'd have done different... And for the record I'm living in Sydney's Northern Beaches and love it...!
Hirodders,
I can handle the opinion's on the UK versus 'wherever' as that is what the forum is about - what I don't like is having to waste my time reading through so many posts of personal nastiness such as single sentences of name calling or telling others they are full of sh*t etc. It's childish, nasty and uneccessary - just my opinion of course

The emotions that go with people's moves I can fully appreciate and I agree it's useful if people could stick to the point
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Well the Spanish seem to be able to live on it, and some with mortgages. It depends on how you live. If you live the Spanish way you probably would be okay.

Well I live more rural, but only 10 mins from Marbella, but all my neighbours are Spanish and don't speak a word of English. I brought a house that was in good condition, but I've made a few changes this year and expanded on it. I brought from the Spanish, and the property was cheaper than if I'd gone through an Agent. In fact my bank manager and lawyer thought I had had a good deal on it. It is detached on a quarter of an acre with the sun on the terrace all day and I can see the sea from all parts of the property. I had various fruit trees with different fruit on it, and if I wanted to go on a fruit diet it would probably be weeks...lol. My neighbours are great and often invite me around for meals or coffee and they put up with my spanish, but I didn't speak a word when I came here, so it's an improvement.

I don't do anything British here, but I like the lifestyle when I'm here, I'm 30 minutes from the airport with various flights a day, 10 minutes to the town and beach which I often walk along in the afternoons for some exercise. I also like the fact it is cosmopolitan.

I commute for work, my company is in the UK which I set up after being here, but never had any problems getting work here anyway. I've met many northern europeans who also commute between their home countries for work and here, as well as other Brits. So I get the best of all worlds. I nearly brought a house in the UK before buying this one, and pulled out of it at the last minute. I've got a better house here, cheaper than I was going to pay and better value for money. It gives me the lifestyle I want, without having to be the other side of the world now. I also get paid in sterling, so that is also a bonus. Now that I'm living in a Spanish community I'm happier than when I was living around the little Englanders and don't tend to do anything involving them. It certainly has more ticks in the boxes for me living here than in UK, which I tried initially when I arrived back from Oz and didn't like it. I enjoy the time I'm in UK, but it's work for me as well as the opportunity of catching up with my family and friends.

The good thing also I feel freer here, I prefer it now even to Australia, which I also liked and I don't think now I would return back there, which initially I thought I would. It certainly gives me many of the things I missed in terms of lifestyle and possibly more.

But at least here I'm also commutable to other countries as well if I want something different and often do spend time in them as well. This year I will be spending less time in the UK. So for me, I don't have to live in UK but I get what I need from it as well as a good lifestyle when I'm in Spain. This week it has been nice to wake up to the sun shining and being able to look across the valley and sea as I work on my computer, something I miss when I'm in the UK. I also find it easier to eat out healthier and the range of places to eat is good and I'm not watching my watch to get anywhere to eat early as I also find that irritating in UK, when places finish serving at 9. We use virtual telephone systems which also help in being able to live here as we use a UK number but it finds us wherever in the world, both my business partner are often in other countries so it's just a matter of finding a local simm card change our diversion and no one knows where we are. It's certainly cheaper that way than using mobile phones on roaming..

So depending on what you do, you may also think about topping up your income in commuting to the UK now and then to do some work. At least you will be paid in sterling and probably higher than you will get in Spain. To me using a plane is no different to using a train and in many respects cheaper on some occasions. It works for me anyway.

Hope it gives you some food for thought.

My Spanish is very rusty, but I have got 18 months to improve it. Chose rural Spain (not too far away from the coast though) because we do not want to live in "Little Britain" and prefer a more relaxed lifestyle. Also our money should go a bit further than on the coast (hopefully). Do not necessarily need to work full time, but would like a bit of part time top up income. With no mortgage we want to buy a habitable property that needs a bit of renovation.

We are a family of 3 and hope to live on an income of approx £1,200 per month. Is this realistic in your opinion? If not, that is why I thought we may need a part time top up income.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:33 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

and I hope you are all noting that I have not said a bleedin word

Anyway I am off to the pics this morning taking my 2 daughters and a friend. For this I shall pay $15.50 for me and $11.50 each for the kids. Small popcorn and drink x 3 $ $4.50 a pop and you come out with a total of $63.50. yes its a lot cheaper than England but its still not free, couple that with the fact that a lot of people earn less $$$ than GBP and it probably works out the same. Just some food for thought for you but at least no rain coat required today in Perth.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:37 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, I should point out that we're returning to the UK. We've been in Sydney for nearly two years now. But we initially moved here knowing we'd move back. It was only a living somewhere else for a while move, rather than a forever move. I'm not alone in that regard - a number of returnees never intended their move to be permenant. I'm not a failure. Nothing's gone wrong.

My reasons for going to the UK:

1) Mr GG and I plan on having our own family. I think the single most important thing I can give a child is family. To raise a child without family support would be hard enough. But to deny them relationships with aunts, uncles, grandmas and grandads? Unfair, IMHO. (Sorry to sound harsh - I don't mean to judge those who do emigrate with children. Just a different POV.)
2) Cost of living. Sydney aint cheap -we cannot afford a home in the area we currently live in.
3) To be closer to Europe.

I don't have five, sorry. There are little things, but they're not reasons to stay or go. (For example, being charged for healthcare I'll not miss.)

Top tip: Do not think that if you move and don't like it that you can 'just move back'. I don't think you can. You'll see both good and bad in both places. It means you will never, ever feel 100% sure of where you want to be. I cannot stress this enough. And living with uncertainty is very difficult.

Just as an aside, to the people complaining about taxes and so on. You think it's bad now? It's pretty annoying when you live in a place and pay taxes, but have absolutely no say in how those taxes are spent! Not being a citizen means just that. At least you can choose through your vote. I can't. It means I have no say in my community.

And, as a closing comment, I should point out that we think we'll probably head back to Aus again in future - so any little people can experience living somewhere else. I think we'll be life-long ping-pongers.

Sheesh, I go on. Sorry.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:40 am
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Well I can only speak from my own experiences, but in general I have found Australians a very hard bunch to mix with and make/develop new friendships that actually go past more than a superficial level. I have also noted that others have equally found this to be the case.

Not feeling a 'sense of belonging' is a very disconcerting feeling. It is always ticking away in the background, and I think for a reason. It is telling us that where we are just isn't the right place for us. We can ignore it for so long, but eventually it will confront us and make us take action.

We need more than nice houses in good areas, big cars and pools. We need to connect with other human beings on a meaningful level. That level of interaction I just haven't found in OZ. I found it though, in my native NZ and when I was in the UK.

I'm not necessarily talking about the D&M's that 2 close friends share, but just the simple ability to genuinely be interested in and relax with others without mind games, agendas or other bullshit scenarios. Authenticity is a word that springs to mind... the ability to be open, relaxed, and yourself with others, and sadly I have seen little of that in Australia. Theirs always an agenda here, always a strategy of controlling the situation so nothing of depth is shared. Kinda sad I think.
Sorry but I think that is complete rubbish. You may not have found like minded individuals but many people do in Australia. I know several english people who have lived in australia for 10/15/20 years have have a large circle of friends. I do accept that it can be diffilcult to get into a social circle when you immigrate and that will affect how you settle, but you carry on like this has something to do with Australia, and not something you can find anywhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.