Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

5 reasons why you want to come back to the UK - Part 2

5 reasons why you want to come back to the UK - Part 2

Old Jan 7th 2007, 4:13 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 reasons why you want to come back to the UK - Part 2

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I think the guts of this is that when someone responded negatively to grayling's comment that he didn't have a mortgage and didn't have to work. All he is pointing out is that he worked hard to get to where he is financially comfortable, and that maybe some people seem to think it should all come easier.
Exactly
Old Jan 7th 2007, 4:15 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

I can't understand people over 40 who complain about the UK, because a lot of over-40's are now able to do what you are doing, and/or own second (or third, or fourth) houses (holiday houses or rental properties) and lots of toys. But I think the under-30's have a lot to complain about.
My boys (who are in their 30's) have done OK although one now lives in Australia.

The other had to finance himself through an Msc...he did not moan about it...he got on with it and is now doing OK.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 4:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Getting back to the point of the thread, I think the following apply to a lot of people:

Fear of growing old and sick in a foreign country.

Missing familiy and friends.

Missing their home culture.

Realization that their adopted country has as many faults as the UK.

Other person-specific reasons (they never intended to move permanently in the first place, they divorced their foreign-born spouse, they've made their fortune and want to retire in the UK, sick parents in the UK need their help, etc.)

It really, really is an individual thing and in the end although people's opinions on here can help, you never really know whether it will work for you unless you try it because the specifics of your situation are not the same as others.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 4:36 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

It really, really is an individual thing and in the end although people's opinions on here can help, you never really know whether it will work for you unless you try it because the specifics of your situation are not the same as others.
Very good point. Also, people react/respond differently to others in a similar situation (and also perceive things differently),depending on their personal histories.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Getting back to the point of the thread, I think the following apply to a lot of people:

Fear of growing old and sick in a foreign country.

Missing familiy and friends.

Missing their home culture.

Realization that their adopted country has as many faults as the UK.

Other person-specific reasons (they never intended to move permanently in the first place, they divorced their foreign-born spouse, they've made their fortune and want to retire in the UK, sick parents in the UK need their help, etc.)

Do you think the culture thing is an issue? By that I mean do you think that you can really be accepted by the natives of your chosen country, even if you work hard to integrate.

I have heard about several immigrants who are now returning because they do not feel that they "belong"
Old Jan 7th 2007, 5:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gray C
Do you think the culture thing is an issue? By that I mean do you think that you can really be accepted by the natives of your chosen country, even if you work hard to integrate.

I have heard about several immigrants who are now returning because they do not feel that they "belong"
Yes, I think you can assimilate into a different culture (accept it, and be accepted by it), but it's easier if you are younger, open to assimilating, and if the culture is similar to the UK (e.g., USA, Oz, Canada, rather than, say, Middle East or non-English speaking countries).

I definitely felt accepted when I lived in the States, but maybe that's partly because the States was built on assimilating foreigners.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 6:06 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gray C

Well I can only speak from my own experiences, but in general I have found Australians a very hard bunch to mix with and make/develop new friendships that actually go past more than a superficial level. I have also noted that others have equally found this to be the case.

Not feeling a 'sense of belonging' is a very disconcerting feeling. It is always ticking away in the background, and I think for a reason. It is telling us that where we are just isn't the right place for us. We can ignore it for so long, but eventually it will confront us and make us take action.

We need more than nice houses in good areas, big cars and pools. We need to connect with other human beings on a meaningful level. That level of interaction I just haven't found in OZ. I found it though, in my native NZ and when I was in the UK.

I'm not necessarily talking about the D&M's that 2 close friends share, but just the simple ability to genuinely be interested in and relax with others without mind games, agendas or other bullshit scenarios. Authenticity is a word that springs to mind... the ability to be open, relaxed, and yourself with others, and sadly I have seen little of that in Australia. Theirs always an agenda here, always a strategy of controlling the situation so nothing of depth is shared. Kinda sad I think.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 6:26 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
No beef at all...I am moving there soon.

I have never said anything negative about Australia.

I am simply fed up with those who fail in the UK blaming the country for all their problems

Same shit....different bucket
Quite so...
Old Jan 7th 2007, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

tony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nice

Originally Posted by rodders39
Quite so...

are you capable of any independant thought or do you just agree with everything grayling says?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 6:36 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony_russell
are you capable of any independant thought or do you just agree with everything grayling says?
Perfectly capable, thank you, as you well know from my replies to some of your soporific postings in other threads...
Old Jan 7th 2007, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

tony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nice

Perfectly capable, thank you, as you well know from my replies to some of your soporific postings in other threads...
yea yea yea bore off
Old Jan 7th 2007, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to hear from some of you that have moved to Canada, Spain, Oz, NZ, or wherever it may be, with the main reasons why you have, or intend to move back to the UK.
Why do you want to move? Some countries have higher taxes than the UK, some lower, some are colder, some warmer, some have an relaxed attitude to work, some a brutally harder one; it depends on where you are emigrating to.

Wherever you go, you cannot escape your national roots and this may mean you find your adopted home strange (at least initially), have difficulty making real friends and miss everything from family to HP sauce from the UK. Go in with your eyes open or you will find it impossible to stay once the novelty has worn off, or when you hit your first crisis.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:02 pm
Timelord

yea yea yea bore off
Had an IQ for long...?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

yea yea yea bore off
What is it with the title of this thread (it was the same with it's older brother) that gets everyone bickering at each other? It is a New Year, so let's be nice to each other and maybe get back on thread!

Last edited by Gray C; Jan 7th 2007 at 7:27 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Had an IQ for long...?
chortle chortle, why you always trying to be a smartarse? your not big, not clever and your not even funny, now go away and crawl under your rock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.