Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

401k - what should I do with it?

401k - what should I do with it?

Old Sep 14th 2022, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

minhan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 401k - what should I do with it?

Thank you! I forgot how the sterling exchange rate is in my favour. We thought of waiting until next year as we already put money in our ISA this year but it's a great point to act now.

Old Sep 27th 2022, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

kateg60 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad
You need to check with your brokerage about their policies regarding overseas customers. We have had more than one member report that their 401k provider announced that they needed to move their funds, and if they didn’t already have a US brokerage already open that they could roll their 401k into that would mean receiving the funds as a check or cash transfer including all the taxes that would entail.

If you have mutual funds inside a retirement account like a 401k or IRA then no problems at all. If you have mutual funds in taxable accounts then HMRC will treat all dividends and capital gain distributions as regular income so you lose those much lower tax advantages. If it is a fund such as an ETF that “reports into” HMRC then stock fund dividends and capital gains get the much lower tax rates of those funds.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...eporting-funds
Is it correct that I can have my IRA accounts invested in US stocks and ETF's but cannot actively trade once I am in the UK?
Old Sep 27th 2022, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kateg60
Is it correct that I can have my IRA accounts invested in US stocks and ETF's but cannot actively trade once I am in the UK?

No, you can still actively trade by buying and selling within the IRA. For example, I let all the dividends and capital gain distributions pay into a money-market within the IRA then in January or February I will make a distribution to my bank of the money I need for the year and then re-invest the rest into the funds I want to maintain my overall target asset allocation.

ETA
This is with Vanguard, but I assume other brokerages have similar policies