Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

4 years in Canada and going Home....my reflections

4 years in Canada and going Home....my reflections

Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:02 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4 years in Canada and going Home....my reflections

Well here we are, surrounded by the last remaining pieces of furniture, boxes and bubble wrap, and it really feels good.

I remember how excited we were when we returned to Canada almost 4 years ago to enjoy semi-retirement, and how our views have changed.

We chose to live in a small town, hoping it would be similar to the one we'd loved so many years ago. It couldn't be more different. It is inhabited by some of the rudest, most hostile people I've ever met.....who when they come across you walking down the street look the other way; who will deliberately push in front of you in a queue; who will overcharge on anything you're daft enough to buy in town. This town is dying thanks to the two people who run it; both sides of Main Street are home to numerous empty stores with no sign of new business moving in. Why would anyone want their town to die? It's beyond me, but it is almost like a deathwish. It seems as though they got their wish when one of only two B&B's (coincidentally owned and run by and English woman) closed down; certain members of this "friendly" town had staged a hate campaign since they moved here about six years ago! As far as getting employment here, forget it; if you're not Canadian or related to one of the two controlling families, you've no chance at all.

We have met more neighbours since we sold our house than in the previous three and a half years; they've turned up in droves to pick over our belongings and have expressed surprise that we're moving out "so soon...after all you've only been here a year". When we say, well actually it's been almost four years, they say the same thing...."What a pity you're leaving" or "Oh, I've just been too busy to drop by to say Hello"....this from the town that boasts about its "friendliness". And don't get me started on the number of churches, whose congregations are full of hypocrites. The annual Best Lawn In The Neighbourhood Competition has us falling about laughing; honestly, is this all these people have to worry about? It seems so. How much time, effort and money is spent rolling, flattening, seeding, weeding and feeding, then watering that patch of green, so every three days they can ride a mini-tractor upanddown, upanddown, cutting it! Last weekend one of our neighbours spent over an hour with his pressure washer, hosing the drive to get rid of the few maple keys (from our tree!) that had blown onto it.

The worship of materialism in this country really sickens me at times: the Car, the Dollar, Food, Walmart and Tim Hortons, to mention a few are seemingly what their lives revolve around....oh, and making sure their kids go to every extra-curricular activity there is, otherwise, heaven help them, their parents might actually have to spend time with them! Having said that, the kids don't run in wild packs on the streets. This is perhaps as well, as we have two, maybe three, policemen on duty for one of the biggest counties in Southwestern Ontario; they're usually out dealing with the teenage drink-driving deaths, of which there are many.

The weather (which as yet is out of our control) is so extreme as to be unpleasant for much of the time; there are really only three months or so when it's pleasant enough to be outside, and then you need a protective layer of clothes or chemicals to keep the bugs at bay.

The government is so far removed from the majority of the population it's difficult, at times, to feel part of a cohesive country..........which if course, it isn't, as each province has its own government, laws, rules and regulations. Taxation is another vexation........tax is charged on almost everything, even on re-sale items. People grumble but do nothing; Canada has a reputation for being laidback, but I think it's a general laziness, and a Can't Be Bothered attitude. Generally speaking Canadians are not concerned about anything that doesn't directly affect them; they might make sympathetic noises, but that's about as much effort as they'll make.

The media tends to anesthetize everything, or there are gagging orders in place. It's difficult to know what's happening in another part of the country because newspapers are regional. I don't think there's actually a national press. If so, I'm not aware of it. CBC is similar to BBC, but even they tend to dumb-down everything.....you know the saying about being treated like mushrooms? It fits perfectly here.

I cannot comment on schooling as I have no experience of it this time, and as for health care, the little I have had has been good. I do know there are problems with waiting lists; an elderly couple I met last week when we had a garage sale (again a neighbour I hadn't met before!) told me they had to go to Own Sound for her husband's operation as it couldn't be done soon enough in London or Kitchener. Owen Sound is roughly a three and a half hour drive away. London or Kitchener about an hour and a half. The little hospital here has had the number of beds halved from 36 to 18 in the past year.

Although I'm headed back at the end of this month, due mainly to wanting to be with family and friends again, I do feel a certain disappointment that a country I loved so much is not the way I remember it. This is not where I want to be.....I want to be part of the World again........my signature says it all.

And for those reading this thread..........these are purely MY experiences and opinions.........yours may differ and I accept that
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

essexnick1 is just really niceessexnick1 is just really niceessexnick1 is just really niceessexnick1 is just really niceessexnick1 is just really niceessexnick1 is just really niceessexnick1 is just really niceessexnick1 is just really nice
Default Re: 4 years in Canada and going Home....my reflections

I am happy for you if your happy And that's waht life is all about right!
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:03 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Argh.....OB was going to send Karma, it wont let me.................
Anyway heres to your new life out of STEPFORD
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh that doesnt sound like a very pleasant experience at all and I can quite see why you would want to be going home (warts and all!!). It is interesting to hear about other popular expat spots - we do rather tend to get one eyed about which hell hole we happen to be stuck in!!!

All the best with your move back home, may it bring you all the happiness you hoped for your semi retirement!
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Good God OB you really have been living on another planet Hope you survive the last few weeks
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

How on earth did you stick for 4 years!! Its over now and you can move on, wishing you well on your journey, your new adventure and your new life!
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:49 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
We chose to live in a small town, hoping it would be similar to the one we'd loved so many years ago. It couldn't be more different. It is inhabited by some of the rudest, most hostile people I've ever met.....

The weather (which as yet is out of our control) is so extreme as to be unpleasant for much of the time; there are really only three months or so when it's pleasant enough to be outside, and then you need a protective layer of clothes or chemicals to keep the bugs at bay.
If you don't like extreme cold weather then you should have moved to BC or another country altogether.

The worship of materialism in this country really sickens me at times: the Car, the Dollar, Food, Walmart and Tim Hortons, to mention a few are seemingly what their lives revolve around....oh, and making sure their kids go to every extra-curricular activity there is, otherwise, heaven help them, their parents might actually have to spend time with them!
I'm not defending Canada, as like any country, everyone has their own opinions. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, but you cannot tar a whole country with the same brush because you chose to live in the wrong town.

I really hope the surgery to remove that chip off of your shoulder works out OK..good luck old bag.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:24 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
If you don't like extreme cold weather then you should have moved to BC or another country altogether.

I'm not defending Canada, as like any country, everyone has their own opinions. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, but you cannot tar a whole country with the same brush because you chose to live in the wrong town.

I really hope the surgery to remove that chip off of your shoulder works out OK..good luck old bag.

Firstly, when I lived here, for many years, the winters weren't as extreme as they are here. You should know, as you also live in Canada, that this can differ from area to area......east of toronto and north of Lake Ontario, where we lived before, wasn't as harsh as here, very close to Lake Huron.

Secondly...., as previously mentioned, I have lived in another part of Canada, and whilst it was a generalisation, these are things I have personal experience of....which is exactly what I said at the end. I really don't think you can honestly deny that many of the points I raise are alive and well in this country. If you don't see them, then great....but I do.

Thirdly, you're very fond of making this comment regarding chips and shoulders, so it is no longer as humorous or as clever as you think it is; however, I shall take it with the pinch of salt I'm sure you forgot to mention
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:21 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
Thirdly, you're very fond of making this comment regarding chips and shoulders, so it is no longer as humorous or as clever as you think it is; however, I shall take it with the pinch of salt I'm sure you forgot to mention
What am I supposed to think?
You obviously have a huge grudge to bear with the locals in your town, especially by putting them down for having a nicely kept garden and a new car.
You then start to insult their parenting skills by suggesting that the only reason they send their children to after School activities is to avoid spending time with them, themselves.

I don't know if it's jealousy or British "we once ruled the world" arrogance?

Anyway, I'm off to cut my grass and then take my children to Football practice

Last edited by Danny B; Jun 13th 2008 at 3:59 am. Reason: gramma
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:25 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

You obviously have a huge grudge to bear with the locals in your town, especially by putting them down for having a nicely kept garden and a new car.
You then start to insult their parenting skills by suggesting that the only reason they send their children to after School activities is to avoid spending time with them themselves

Oh Danny come on, she did say it was her own experience. We are old enough to accept that we all want and need different things. Don't be so defensive, it's only words
Old Jun 13th 2008, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

auntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud of

Hi oldbag,
I read your post with interest, as my brother has mentioned that my family should think about immigrating to Canada. I am sure that there are a wide variety of experiences in that country, but for some reason I have never felt a pull there. Not even for a visit which is strange since it is so close to where I am now.

I am sorry you had such a hard time. Soon a new day will be here, so I will wish you, as my grandfather used to say...the best of health and wealth on your journey! Good luck and enjoy!
Old Jun 13th 2008, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

needasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really nice

Danny -

she is absolutely right - Canada has changed - the weather here has changed- even the weather has changed in BC. How long have you been in Canada? (out of curiousity)

I have lived in:
Edmonton AB, Ryley AB, Camrose AB, Bradford ON, Mount Albert ON, Richmind Hill ON, Aurora ON, Keswick ON, Hamilton ON, Oakville ON

I have lived in Canada for a total of 25 years - i SEE the changes the differences and and yes the general population changing - Maybe you are not that type she talks about, but many are. I have relatives in BC, and we talk about the changes.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:21 pm
itchy feet again!

You then start to insult their parenting skills by suggesting that the only reason they send their children to after School activities is to avoid spending time with them, themselves.

I was in no way insulting their parenting skills! I was simply making the observation that the extra-curricular activities are many and varied and most parents in this area seem to prefer them to spending time with their kids..........the evidence is in front of my eyes.

No, I don't bear a grudge at all.........but yes, I'm a little disappointed, as I said, to see what has happened over here. Having had a few years in between leaving and returning, I notice these changes.

It is certainly NOT jealousy or envy.........I don't want this lifestyle.....which is why I'm leaving. It's a shallow, materliastic life which may, and obviously does, suit many people, but not me.

I'll point again............these are MY experiences. If they don't match yours, then that's great, but don't knock someone from seeing and experiencing something different. That's the problem with many ex-pats.......they don't want anything negative said about their adoptive country.

PS You're obviously happy out there in BC........so why are you visiting the MBTTUK forum?

Last edited by Jay Bird; Jun 13th 2008 at 12:27 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Oldbag, (It feels terrible typing your name!)

An interesting post and good wishes for your move back.

I've lived in Canada for nearly four years now and in a perfect world I'd move back to England because for me it will always be my home and I doubt that feeling will ever change.

Canada is an okay place, at least my tiny corner of it is but I relate to your comment about moving back to be part of the world again. The thing is your criticism about Canada is a valid opinion but it's a bit like reading the posts when people slag off the UK when justifying moving out. Maybe not the small town mentality as such but the materialism you speak about is just as prevalent in the UK along with most of the other bad stuff because I don't believe that there's anything that much new under the sun when it comes to people.

The UK seems to be your home and I hope you have a wonderful move back.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:45 pm
itchy feet again!

Originally Posted by stepnek
Hi Oldbag, (It feels terrible typing your name!)

An interesting post and good wishes for your move back.

I've lived in Canada for nearly four years now and in a perfect world I'd move back to England because for me it will always be my home and I doubt that feeling will ever change.

Canada is an okay place, at least my tiny corner of it is but I relate to your comment about moving back to be part of the world again. The thing is your criticism about Canada is a valid opinion but it's a bit like reading the posts when people slag off the UK when justifying moving out. Maybe not the small town mentality as such but the materialism you speak about is just as prevalent in the UK along with most of the other bad stuff because I don't believe that there's anything that much new under the sun when it comes to people.

The UK seems to be your home and I hope you have a wonderful move back.
Hi Stephen
The reason for posting this in the first place was to try to let people see that other countries have their faults and problems. Too often (and I was guilty of this) we can't see the wood for the trees; I thought I was coming back to the Canada I knew back in the 80's.....well, I didn't. It has changed so much, and in ways I hadn't imagined. I believe that people contemplating such a huge move should be made aware of the good, bad and ugly. If they don't want to accept it, then so be it, but Canada also has plenty of warts!

The name Oldbag, BTW was given to me by my work mates in a former life in the UK.....it stuck.

Thanks for your good wishes.....and I wish you all the best, too

Judith

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.