Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

4 days until we leave Oz and go back to the Uk

Wikiposts

4 days until we leave Oz and go back to the Uk

Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:27 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 days until we leave Oz and go back to the Uk

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
See my post above - Nos 11.
I would stand by your reasons for returning and not let the gloomy opinions of others spoil your moment.
I've had all the doom and gloom too but I've realised something (I've posted on another thread ('What's Changed').
I saw the BBC news condeming Gordon Brown for the bad economy and people's incredibly high personal debt. I wondered why GB could be blamed for someone's personal loan and by talking to my gloom and doom friends, their perception of how tough it all is in the UK is mostly based on people's blocking of credit.
One of my friends thinks her worlds going to end because she can't afford to fill up her BMW this week. Another is so much in debt, that she'll have to cancel her gym membership and another friend is depressed because her children will have to come out of private school and go to the ordinary bog standard (the same as I went to) secondary school.
I'm beginning to realise that the real doom and gloom is in people's perceptions of what makes for a tough life. It's very sad but it doesn't have to be your problem.

There is a solution for Britains spend, borrow, spend economy and that's to wean the welfare state off handouts and to wean people off depending on debt to stop spending just to make them happy.
I believe and it's just my personal opinion, that the real doom and gloom is about the block on spending and the lack of credit. If this is what makes people miserable, then it's no big deal. They will eventually realise that money doesn't relate to real happiness.

I admit that I've had my eyes opened too and wonder how I'm going to find the small mentality of the oppressed Brits society but I've just decided to focus on my reasons for returning, let everything else go over my head and jus be grateful for the opportunity to start again in England.

Good luck Pearly, don't let them get to you. See your glass as full to the top, don't worry about someone knocking it over.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Well, time is fast ticking away.I have very mixed feelings about leaving oz and returning to the Uk for good on Monday. Some feelings which I didn't expect to have.
Like the sadness and the regret that we weren't able to make it all work out. There's a tiny feeling of failing at this experience which we tried so hard to make work for us.
I've spoken to friends and family from back home recently and all I get is bleakness and gloominess with regards to just about everything from the weather to the price of potatoes. Of course I'm aware that Brits love a good moan, but it's really highlighted to me how the ozzies see things more positively in comparison and how much the bleakness doesn't appeal to me at all.
Am I ready to go back - I don't know!! I'm worried to be honest. Fearful of starting again,returning to somewhere VERY different to Oz, sh*t weather,and yet it was such an easy decision to return to begin with.
I know we wont be back here.Too costly, too much upheaval again and this being my third time here - I just know this was it,last time.
So - we are all set to return on Monday.I am feeling very sad just writing this and just wanted to share.

Cheers.
*pearly*
Jeez, I could've pretty much written that! Be brave hun and listen to your heart, you know where you want to be
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:42 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Shippers arrive tomorrow to take everything away. Feels like it's not really happening!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:49 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

You know people have a bad habit of only relaying bad news.............All the good stuff that happens gets ignored 5 mins after it occurred....

And as far as debt is concerned, i used to work for a loan company before i went to Canada....And the small loans the average joe had in the Uk was nothing compared to the $1000's of dollars the Canadians owed out in credit cards
One card just wasn't enough, you needed to have at least half a dozen to be in the.... i've got club...
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:57 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Big hugs Pearly.

Its gonna be ok... really it is
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
You know people have a bad habit of only relaying bad news.............All the good stuff that happens gets ignored 5 mins after it occurred....

And as far as debt is concerned, i used to work for a loan company before i went to Canada....And the small loans the average joe had in the Uk was nothing compared to the $1000's of dollars the Canadians owed out in credit cards
One card just wasn't enough, you needed to have at least half a dozen to be in the.... i've got club...
Hi lovely to hear from you (sorry to stray off the post) yep my hair is looking fine....(which is good for here) going to the same hairdresser who so far has not turned it orange...
Pearly.....this is the hard part...even on our horriblest (not great English)and this one holiday was truly awful, when we were leaving I start to think it was not so bad and that is was nice etc....etc....to some people it is human nature (one which I would like to swop...mine for my s.i.l) I thinks it's harder on some people who have never really hated their new country, it just does not feel like home etc....) when you get back and spend some money on yourselves why not treat yourself to a stay in a Luxury Hotel somewhere really Englishy or Britishy.....(sorry for the poor English)

I think life's an adventure and the more stories you can tell about it the more you have lived.......

As for the Doom and Gloomers....they live in most countries.....just stay well away..My F.I.L phoned from the U.K yesterday and he has me in stiches...just what I needed and just what we have missed.....
all the best....try to be easy on yourself...are you doing a "stop over"? if so look forward to that and if not.....have a couple of Singapore slings on the plane, (great with Singapore Airlines...even better tasting than having one at Raffles"..honestly) watch a good movie and try and imagine you are on another exciting life journey.......
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Sue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really nice

All the best, know how you feel. I was speaking to my sister the other day and she said most people are just getting on with things and there are always people around who just like a good moan!!!! It is very scary when the time comes near but keep positive and think of all the reasons you are going back. Good luck and take care
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:38 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, time is fast ticking away.I have very mixed feelings about leaving oz and returning to the Uk for good on Monday. Some feelings which I didn't expect to have.
Like the sadness and the regret that we weren't able to make it all work out. There's a tiny feeling of failing at this experience which we tried so hard to make work for us.
I've spoken to friends and family from back home recently and all I get is bleakness and gloominess with regards to just about everything from the weather to the price of potatoes. Of course I'm aware that Brits love a good moan, but it's really highlighted to me how the ozzies see things more positively in comparison and how much the bleakness doesn't appeal to me at all.
Am I ready to go back - I don't know!! I'm worried to be honest. Fearful of starting again,returning to somewhere VERY different to Oz, sh*t weather,and yet it was such an easy decision to return to begin with.
I know we wont be back here.Too costly, too much upheaval again and this being my third time here - I just know this was it,last time.
So - we are all set to return on Monday.I am feeling very sad just writing this and just wanted to share.

Cheers.
*pearly*
Noone could have tried harder than you Pearly.

You will be just fine because you have a good attitude and you are a fighter.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:48 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Noone could have tried harder than you Pearly.

You will be just fine because you have a good attitude and you are a fighter.
PP - you've got me all teary. Not a good look in this heat either.
I'll do my best to make this next move work out for us.
Come visit me when your over for a visit. I don't plan on going anywhere else soon.I plan to be around for a LONG time. xx
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:00 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

PP - you've got me all teary. Not a good look in this heat either.
I'll do my best to make this next move work out for us.
Come visit me when your over for a visit. I don't plan on going anywhere else soon.I plan to be around for a LONG time. xx
I will take you up on it.

You have always come across as incredibly strong, Ive followed your posts for ages now.

I just know you will be OK.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:48 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
*pearly*
Won't be long now, don't worry, it'll be great, and you'll enjoy it once you're back and settled in with things.
All the best.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Originally Posted by cricket1
I would stand by your reasons for returning and not let the gloomy opinions of others spoil your moment.
I've had all the doom and gloom too but I've realised something (I've posted on another thread ('What's Changed').
I saw the BBC news condeming Gordon Brown for the bad economy and people's incredibly high personal debt. I wondered why GB could be blamed for someone's personal loan and by talking to my gloom and doom friends, their perception of how tough it all is in the UK is mostly based on people's blocking of credit.
One of my friends thinks her worlds going to end because she can't afford to fill up her BMW this week. Another is so much in debt, that she'll have to cancel her gym membership and another friend is depressed because her children will have to come out of private school and go to the ordinary bog standard (the same as I went to) secondary school.
I'm beginning to realise that the real doom and gloom is in people's perceptions of what makes for a tough life. It's very sad but it doesn't have to be your problem.

There is a solution for Britains spend, borrow, spend economy and that's to wean the welfare state off handouts and to wean people off depending on debt to stop spending just to make them happy.
I believe and it's just my personal opinion, that the real doom and gloom is about the block on spending and the lack of credit. If this is what makes people miserable, then it's no big deal. They will eventually realise that money doesn't relate to real happiness.

I admit that I've had my eyes opened too and wonder how I'm going to find the small mentality of the oppressed Brits society but I've just decided to focus on my reasons for returning, let everything else go over my head and jus be grateful for the opportunity to start again in England.

Good luck Pearly, don't let them get to you. See your glass as full to the top, don't worry about someone knocking it over.
WHAT A SUPERB AND SPOT-ON ANSWER!. You are so right in what you say. It is indeed all about perceptions and the decisions we make in the ways we decide to think and approach things.

This is the best and most accurate post I have read for ages, and indeed never mind blogs and chat rooms, it is simply true.

Fantastically brilliant and informed!

Can you come and run the country please?!
Gordo
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:26 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordo Marshall
WHAT A SUPERB AND SPOT-ON ANSWER!. You are so right in what you say. It is indeed all about perceptions and the decisions we make in the ways we decide to think and approach things.

This is the best and most accurate post I have read for ages, and indeed never mind blogs and chat rooms, it is simply true.

Gordo

Sounds like cricket1 has a fan club.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:50 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Sounds like cricket1 has a fan club.
At last!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Gordo Marshall

Gordo

Thankyou. I think I'd be assassinated very quickly if I ran the country. I'd make everyone eat healthy, there would be a three minute warning to cease all moaning, imminent deportation of repeat offenders and anyone who said the UK is crap would be sent to live in Darwin without parole.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.