Reload this Page >

3 Year Residency Rule for Undegraduate Studies

3 Year Residency Rule for Undegraduate Studies

Old Oct 11th 2013, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

AzuObs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3 Year Residency Rule for Undegraduate Studies

Hello folk;

I'm going to keep it nice and short since there are so many queries similar to mine on this board - although I couldn't found one about what I precisely wanted to know.

Here goes.

I have UK citizenship.
I have been working in the UK since November 2012.
Previously, I was born and had been residing in France.
I want to attend an undergraduate course in Nursing ASAP.

The NHS will pay for my tuition fees because I have the UK citizenship and am from the EU. This is very kind, great Beware to other undergraduates reading this; this will only apply if you are planning on studying only some of the NHS related undergraduate courses - not undergraduate courses in general.

To get a bursary for living expenses either from the NHS or from the SAAS (Students Award Agency for Scotland) I would have to be an "ordinary resident" in the UK for three years by the 1st of August of the year I want to start studying.

I'm trying to establish what counts as 3 years of residency.

Is it 3 full calendar years of residency?
Arriving in the UK in November 2012, would that mean that I'd have had to be living in the UK from January 2013 to January 2016 and apply for university in August 2016?

Is it 36 months of consecutive residency?
Arriving in the UK in November 2012, would that mean that I'd have to reside in the UK until November 2015 and then apply to university in August 2016?

Is it 3 years of residency?
Arriving in the UK in November 2012. November 2012 to January 2013 would count as year 1. January 2013 to January 2014 as year 2. And January 2014 to July 2014 as year 3. Meaning that I could apply to University as soon as next August (August 2014)?

Small differences that can make a 2 year difference for me!

In sincere appreciation of your time and effort,
AzuObs
Old Oct 11th 2013, 10:34 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 Year Residency Rule for Undegraduate Studies

Originally Posted by AzuObs
Hello folk;

I'm going to keep it nice and short since there are so many queries similar to mine on this board - although I couldn't found one about what I precisely wanted to know.

Here goes.

I have UK citizenship.
I have been working in the UK since November 2012.
Previously, I was born and had been residing in France.
I want to attend an undergraduate course in Nursing ASAP.

The NHS will pay for my tuition fees because I have the UK citizenship and am from the EU. This is very kind, great Beware to other undergraduates reading this; this will only apply if you are planning on studying only some of the NHS related undergraduate courses - not undergraduate courses in general.

To get a bursary for living expenses either from the NHS or from the SAAS (Students Award Agency for Scotland) I would have to be an "ordinary resident" in the UK for three years by the 1st of August of the year I want to start studying.

I'm trying to establish what counts as 3 years of residency.

Is it 3 full calendar years of residency?
Arriving in the UK in November 2012, would that mean that I'd have had to be living in the UK from January 2013 to January 2016 and apply for university in August 2016?

Is it 36 months of consecutive residency?
Arriving in the UK in November 2012, would that mean that I'd have to reside in the UK until November 2015 and then apply to university in August 2016?

Is it 3 years of residency?
Arriving in the UK in November 2012. November 2012 to January 2013 would count as year 1. January 2013 to January 2014 as year 2. And January 2014 to July 2014 as year 3. Meaning that I could apply to University as soon as next August (August 2014)?

Small differences that can make a 2 year difference for me!

In sincere appreciation of your time and effort,
AzuObs
Where I work it's the 3 years preceding the start of the course.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 11:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 Year Residency Rule for Undegraduate Studies

3 Years living in the EU prior to the first day of the course starting is the usual requirement.

I knew someone who was about a week shy of that mark, 10 days I think it was and ended up deferring a year instead of paying the international rates at Brunel, but this was in '98/99