Wikiposts

3-year residency rule

Old Jul 6th 2011, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of
Default Re: 3-year residency rule

The difference bewteen home/EU and international fees is very much course and university dependent.

In my daughter's case, at two of the unis the home fee in 2012 is GBP9k, the international fee is GBP15K. At a third the international fee is GBP10K.

Along with around GBP5k each for accomodation and general living expenses, we are budgeting for a total cost over 3 years of GBP75k.

We accept the fact that she will be classified as an international student: at least she won't be saddled with a large student loan when she graduates as we obviously have to pay up front!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 12:00 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killerhales
The difference bewteen home/EU and international fees is very much course and university dependent.

In my daughter's case, at two of the unis the home fee in 2012 is GBP9k, the international fee is GBP15K. At a third the international fee is GBP10K.
Yes the cost does differ widely between universities.

We found the International fees ranged from £8,000 - £12,000 at the three universities our son was accepted at. I think the cost can also depend on the course/degree programme they are taking too. Thankfully he's going to the cheaper of the three
Old Jul 29th 2011, 2:18 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Just adding some info I recently discovered about International fees.

With the upcoming hike in 'home' fees for UK universites I wondered if this would affect Internatiaonal fees in the future and whether they would also be increased. It seems that this is not the case, as the following from the UKCISA site clarifies:
What is happening to tuition fees in England in 2012 onwards?
From September 2012, universities in England will be able to charge undergraduates who are assessed as 'home' students a higher tuition fee than before. Undergraduate courses for 'home' students used to be funded by a mix of tuition fees and government subsidies paid direct to institutions. From 2012, the direct subsidy to institutions will be cut significantly, or removed altogether, and tuition fees will be increased to replace this. 'Home' students will be eligible for government subsidised loans to cover the cost of these tuition fees.

Fees for 'overseas' students will not be directly affected as they already cover the full cost of teaching. We are not aware of any immediate likelihood that 'overseas' fees will change radically, if at all
Source: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/fee...t.php#fees2012
Old Feb 12th 2012, 9:14 am
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

Resurrecting this thread - I wanted to find out if anyone has any advice about funding post grad education in the UK if you don't meet that three year rule. Also- do you HAVE to pay upfront? Or can they work out a term by term payment schedule?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 9:29 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Tel8
Resurrecting this thread - I wanted to find out if anyone has any advice about funding post grad education in the UK if you don't meet that three year rule. Also- do you HAVE to pay upfront? Or can they work out a term by term payment schedule?
Can you apply for FAFSA? If so they make 3 disbursements direct to the university.

I'm not sure if it differs from university to university, but the uni where my son is studying offers a payment plan were fees can be paid over 7 months (I think the first payment was due in the October).
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:32 am
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sue
Can you apply for FAFSA? If so they make 3 disbursements direct to the university.

I'm not sure if it differs from university to university, but the uni where my son is studying offers a payment plan were fees can be paid over 7 months (I think the first payment was due in the October).
Brilliant- thank you! I was curious about that. I can definitely apply for FAFSA- in fact, I have to! I just wasn't sure if I could get them to send money to the UK still, I have been studying here my whole life so I figure they won't be suspicious (I already owe them anyway ). I'll also apply for all the scholarships going, but I was afraid I'd have to apply for loans from the UK. This makes it much easier!
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:39 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue

Any idea if you can apply to FASFSA once you change your address to a UK one?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
It's pretty limited to what they will pay these days for overseas colleges...something to do with paper reduction bill that affected graduate studies. They will definitely cover American universities, private universities such as Bucks and they will definitely not cover online or part time courses. They will pay direct to the university though if they agree to fund you, but they tend to fund you a dollar amount and if the exchange rate changes during your course of study and that amount isn't sufficient to cover the cost you will be expected to cover the short fall up front.

Also the 3 year rule thing means nothing in the UK for graduate studies because the LEA would only ever fund one undergraduate study.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:47 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Tel8
Brilliant- thank you! I was curious about that. I can definitely apply for FAFSA- in fact, I have to! I just wasn't sure if I could get them to send money to the UK still, I have been studying here my whole life so I figure they won't be suspicious (I already owe them anyway ). I'll also apply for all the scholarships going, but I was afraid I'd have to apply for loans from the UK. This makes it much easier!
Ask the university for their FAFSA code, and then you include that with your application to FAFSA. We haven't had any trouble with them paying direct to the UK university at all. In fact the university are quite used to foreign student loans and have been very helpful. The best thing is once you've narrowed down the universities you are interested in call or email them and they will be happy to answer your questions.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:53 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Any idea if you can apply to FASFSA once you change your address to a UK one?
Well our son's "permanent" address is still here in the US.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:06 pm
is finally happy

Originally Posted by Sue
Well our son's "permanent" address is still here in the US.
Mine will be too as my parents will still live here (at least until I can sort myself out on my own). This will be a load of my mum's mind though, and it'll get me one step closer to my goal