3 reasons why ?

Old Feb 18th 2007, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 reasons why ?

I also wasn't asking your to justify your actions, the most important thing is why you want to go and if sometime in your future you decide to return it may be of a number of reasons. Home is where the heart is and you can have it also in several places. I was homesick for Oz when I returned and in Oz I was also homesick for UK. But maybe it was each offered a different lifestyle and people who I cared for which neither could totally cater for, that can then put you into limboland another destination not often mentioned.

I hope you are happy in Oz, also remember that peoples needs are forever changing and nowhere has to be for ever.

Originally Posted by phoenix_uk
I've already decided why Oz and my question wasn't to justify my actions nor as I said, to ask you to justify yours. I am simply interested in what the main reasons are for peoples return.

To me it looks like the UK is 'home' family is there, friends are there and Aus didn't quite work out as first thought either financially or socially for whatever many and varied reasons. At the end of the day home is where the heart is be it the uk or oz or anywhere else.

As said - thank you for your answers folks - it's answered my query

Last edited by Mercedes; Feb 18th 2007 at 8:08 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:26 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I also wasn't asking your to justify your actions, the most important thing is why you want to go and if sometime in your future you decide to return it may be of a number of reasons. Home is where the heart is and you can have it also in several places. I was homesick for Oz when I returned and in Oz I was also homesick for UK. But maybe it was each offered a different lifestyle and people who I cared for which neither could totally cater for, that can then put you into limboland another destination not often mentioned.

I hope you are happy in Oz, also remember that peoples needs are forever changing and nowhere has to be for ever.
Sound advice, M. People emigrating often think that if it doesn't work out, that they can 'just' head back again. It's not like that. Once you see the good (and bad) in both places, you have to be prepared for neither of them ringing all the right bells. Choosing where to be can become a nightmare. (or perhaps that's just me?!)

My reasons:

1) For a new challenge: the feet are itchy again.
2) To start our own family. I can give a child sunshine and beaches, but I can't give him/her meaningful family relationships.
3) To appreciate with new eyes what I had in the UK.

I shalln't return to the UK bitter (I like Aus - a huge amount). And I think we will return to Aus - at some point in the future.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 1:22 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Home is where the heart is and you can have it also in several places. I was homesick for Oz when I returned and in Oz I was also homesick for UK. But maybe it was each offered a different lifestyle and people who I cared for which neither could totally cater for, that can then put you into limboland another destination not often mentioned.

That's exactly where I am M, in 'Limboland'. My heart isn't here though, it's with my family and very good friends back home, but I've been here awhile now and have made some good friends here also. There's something else missing for me at this point in my life which cannot be explained on a forum.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, good old Limboland the destination they never mention when you emigrate and isn't a fun place to be. In some ways it is still there with me, but I've made it a bit easier by going to Spain as I've got the lifestyle I missed, but not the people. I've spent a small section of my adult life in UK and the rest overseas, so good friends are scattered all over the place. I often wish I had a bus/plane that I could take everyone I cared about with me to wherever I went then it would make life easier and limboland may not exist.....then I woke up...
Old Feb 25th 2007, 8:34 am
Still In Perth

starlet is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: 3 reasons why ?

Originally Posted by phoenix_uk
Hi people My first visit in this section - like acbh2 i'm waiting for a visa to go to Aus.

I've been reading though and its not my place to judge why you want to return but i'd be interested in knwoing why.

Can you give 3 reasons why you are returning to the UK ? I appreciate some will havemany more than three and from what I have read thus far family, friends and boredom seem to be the top 3 but I would like a real feel

Hi

well my reasons are

1.Its just not home. The uk will always be there.

2. Most of the reasons you came for seem not so bad after you have been away. You learn not to take stuff for granted.

3. your family arent always happy here. Well mine arent.

There are many more but i wont bore you
Old Feb 25th 2007, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Some friends came out in Nov 05 and went back to UK in April 06. At the time, we were still trying to make it work and really questioned them on not giving it enough time. I have spoken to them a few times lately, since we have decided to go back and every time I feel more sure that we are doing the right thing. It was soooooo right for them to go back. They really appreciate where we lived (Maidenhead in Berkshire) and even now, nearly a year after returning they still wake up each morning thinking "thank God we're here and not in Oz". Don't get me wrong, they don't regret coming here at all, they feel that they needed to do it in order to realise what they had in the UK. Since they have been back they have done LOADS of stuff that they probably wouldn't do before like, going to Brighton for the day, going to Centreparks, going ice skating outside in Windsor at Christmas, going to Royal Windsor Horse Show. I know, it's sounds like a real cliche and we laughed when they first got back and were sending emails about how great it was there and how they didn't appreciate it before. We were thinking, yeah right! You'll soon miss the sun/beaches etc etc. But they really don't!! The kids are much happier being around family, they recently went to London for the weekend, shopping, saw a show, stayed in a hotel for about £80 and had a great time together and left the kids with her Mum. At Christmas she sent me photos of the kids in the school nativity and recently sent pics of them building snowmen in the garden. They seem to have been revitalised by coming to Oz and have realised that the place we come from is probably one of the best places to live in the world.

Jo
Old Feb 26th 2007, 12:19 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clougherty family
Hi all,

Some friends came out in Nov 05 and went back to UK in April 06. At the time, we were still trying to make it work and really questioned them on not giving it enough time. I have spoken to them a few times lately, since we have decided to go back and every time I feel more sure that we are doing the right thing. It was soooooo right for them to go back. They really appreciate where we lived (Maidenhead in Berkshire) and even now, nearly a year after returning they still wake up each morning thinking "thank God we're here and not in Oz". Don't get me wrong, they don't regret coming here at all, they feel that they needed to do it in order to realise what they had in the UK. Since they have been back they have done LOADS of stuff that they probably wouldn't do before like, going to Brighton for the day, going to Centreparks, going ice skating outside in Windsor at Christmas, going to Royal Windsor Horse Show. I know, it's sounds like a real cliche and we laughed when they first got back and were sending emails about how great it was there and how they didn't appreciate it before. We were thinking, yeah right! You'll soon miss the sun/beaches etc etc. But they really don't!! The kids are much happier being around family, they recently went to London for the weekend, shopping, saw a show, stayed in a hotel for about £80 and had a great time together and left the kids with her Mum. At Christmas she sent me photos of the kids in the school nativity and recently sent pics of them building snowmen in the garden. They seem to have been revitalised by coming to Oz and have realised that the place we come from is probably one of the best places to live in the world.

Jo
A success story is always good to hear, whether a family have returned to the UK or have settled happily into their new country, wherever that may be.

Very good friends of ours returned to the UK after 9 years in Queensland with a 13½ year old son. I had concerns that he might have problems adjusting, but he is fine. They have been home almost 6 months, have rented down in Sussex and are now looking to buy in the local area. They used to live near us in Herts./North London borders, but because property prices are out of their range in our old part of the world now, they decided to go further south. Plus, they found a school they were quite keen on getting their son into near Worthing. He has settled well into his new school and has made some good friends. Hubby used to work for himself, but was offered a job working for a famous bathroom manufacturer/designer, a position he said he couldn't refuse. My friend said that she feels as though she has awoken from a coma and now appreciates her life so much more. They don't regret migrating to Q'land, but they do wish they hadn't stayed so long. She said, "the sense of belonging and the feeling of waking everyday knowing we are 'home', still brings tears to my eyes some days."
Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:18 am
Living the nightmare

Dizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to all

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
A success story is always good to hear, whether a family have returned to the UK or have settled happily into their new country, wherever that may be.

Very good friends of ours returned to the UK after 9 years in Queensland with a 13½ year old son. I had concerns that he might have problems adjusting, but he is fine. They have been home almost 6 months, have rented down in Sussex and are now looking to buy in the local area. They used to live near us in Herts./North London borders, but because property prices are out of their range in our old part of the world now, they decided to go further south. Plus, they found a school they were quite keen on getting their son into near Worthing. He has settled well into his new school and has made some good friends. Hubby used to work for himself, but was offered a job working for a famous bathroom manufacturer/designer, a position he said he couldn't refuse. My friend said that she feels as though she has awoken from a coma and now appreciates her life so much more. They don't regret migrating to Q'land, but they do wish they hadn't stayed so long. She said, "the sense of belonging and the feeling of waking everyday knowing we are 'home', still brings tears to my eyes some days."
Wotcha

I can see myself feeling exactly like your friend only we aren't expecting to stay that long.
My best friend gets married on 6th April and will be here for her honeymoon and I'm already dreading them going home, but we will make the most of it whilst they are here.

For the OP

Family
Friends
Lifestyle

Need I say more
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:55 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Basically for us we came here to better ourselves. But unfortunatley we are worse off. So even though Perth is nice, nice is not good enough to stay forever. We wanted at least the same or better than what we had in UK. We have failed, so we will probably head back after citizenship.
Why bother gettin citizenship then if you dont like it and want to come home? why not try another state??
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:56 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
who needs three reasons when one will do....it's home
But I suppose home is where the heart is...
Old Feb 26th 2007, 11:01 am
Here at last!

(1.Its just not home. The uk will always be there.)

Until it sinks due to global warming I am only joking. I would have liked the opportunity to find out for myself though and that now is out of the question.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 11:54 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rachie241
But I suppose home is where the heart is...
no buts about it in my case.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 11:56 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

(1.Its just not home. The uk will always be there.)

Until it sinks due to global warming I am only joking. I would have liked the opportunity to find out for myself though and that now is out of the question.
this is the moving back to uk forum...think you need the oz forum.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 1:57 pm
Here at last!

Originally Posted by TruBrit
this is the moving back to uk forum...think you need the oz forum.
I know that but it is this threads like this that have convinced my hubby not to go to australia in the first place, I know not everyone enjoys it in another country but it would have been nice to have the opportunity to see for myself what it would be like. All my statements are true but I was saying them in a joking manner no offence meant. Your response however was not said in a joking manner, are you always this accepting of people saying hello or commenting on a thread?
Home is where the heart is...this is true so your hearts are in the UK.
Thats absolutely fine I was not disputing any of your comments. Just trying to see things from a different point of view. I need to justify for myself why Oz is so very bad and why some of us are coming back to see both sides of my arguement with my OH.
Thanks have a good day!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 2:33 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

I know that but it is this threads like this that have convinced my hubby not to go to australia in the first place, I know not everyone enjoys it in another country but it would have been nice to have the opportunity to see for myself what it would be like. All my statements are true but I was saying them in a joking manner no offence meant. Your response however was not said in a joking manner, are you always this accepting of people saying hello or commenting on a thread?
Home is where the heart is...this is true so your hearts are in the UK.
Thats absolutely fine I was not disputing any of your comments. Just trying to see things from a different point of view. I need to justify for myself why Oz is so very bad and why some of us are coming back to see both sides of my arguement with my OH.
Thanks have a good day!
Why don't you listen to the 70% of Brits that immigrate to OZ and love the place and would never consider returning to the UK , not just the 30% that don't like it. IF you or your husband have never been to OZ before you should go for a holiday and make your own minds up rather then just listening to other peoples opinions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.