Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

20ft container $8,000 plus ins

20ft container $8,000 plus ins

Old Jun 26th 2009, 4:17 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default 20ft container $8,000 plus ins

Ok, just had shippers round for quote. A 20 foot container piled to the roof will cost approx $8,000 plus insurance at 3.5%.
Thought I'd post because a few have asked the question.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 10:45 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 20ft container $8,000 plus ins

I presume that's a lot of stuff? Several rooms of furniture?
Old Jun 26th 2009, 11:29 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
I presume that's a lot of stuff? Several rooms of furniture?
I used a 20ft container from the US. A rough guesstimate is that a 20ft container would take the contents of a modestly-sized 2-BR house with two occupants (err, that didn't come out right, I don't mean the occupants would also go in the container ).

It makes a huge difference if you have decided to sell off your large furniture, though (beds, sofas, etc.). I brought back almost everything (2 dble beds, sofa, bookcases, kitchen table and chairs, 3 easy chairs, computer desk and office chair, file cabinets, 3 bikes, etc.) except no garden implements (should have brought my weedwhacker back!) and no white goods (no point from the US). My container was stacked to the gills.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

michmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cricket1again
Ok, just had shippers round for quote. A 20 foot container piled to the roof will cost approx $8,000 plus insurance at 3.5%.
That seems alot of money. I was just quoted $2,200 with Wheaton's for 20 ft container not including ins.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 10:38 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michmel
That seems alot of money. I was just quoted $2,200 with Wheaton's for 20 ft container not including ins.
I'm gobsmacked. I paid Wheaton's $3,800 for a partial shipment back in 1999.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

michmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'm gobsmacked. I paid Wheaton's $3,800 for a partial shipment back in 1999.

Yes, I was a little shocked myself and had to confirm it twice with the guy as I was thinking it was going to be much higher. It's from Orlando to Lancs door to door.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 11:31 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

It's about the same price as all shippers. I am bringing back 5 heavy industrial machines, a lot of business equipment plus 80 boxes and a small amount of furniture.
I learned last time that there's no point taking English furniture to Oz and vice versa. It just doesn't fit.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 11:40 pm
Banned

Here's a good comparison link that we used;

http://compare-international-movers.com/vervolg4a.asp
Old Jun 27th 2009, 2:37 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: 20ft container $8,000 plus ins

Here's a good comparison link that we used;

http://compare-international-movers.com/vervolg4a.asp
I had a quick look at that list.....we have shipped stuff in containers from the UK to Singapore, Singapore to New Jersey, and New Jersey to Singapore.

Some of the biggest/well-known and reputable companies aren't even listed (with the exception of Crown), so I don't know what the criteria is as to how the website compiled the moving companies they have on their list?
Old Jun 27th 2009, 5:16 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I had a quick look at that list.....we have shipped stuff in containers from the UK to Singapore, Singapore to New Jersey, and New Jersey to Singapore.

Some of the biggest/well-known and reputable companies aren't even listed (with the exception of Crown), so I don't know what the criteria is as to how the website compiled the moving companies they have on their list?
I don't know either but I am at the stage where I don't care one way or the other. I am outta here.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 8:06 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by michmel
Yes, I was a little shocked myself and had to confirm it twice with the guy as I was thinking it was going to be much higher. It's from Orlando to Lancs door to door.
Are you doing all the packing and stacking? This does not look like a complete service (i.e., may just be container rental and shipping). If you are doing the packing, stacking, unpacking, shipping and customs paperwork, etc., you need to be aware of certain things, e.g.:

You may not be fully insured against breakage if you pack.

You may be more liable to be selected for a customs search if you pack (I think this can be expensive if it happens)

You may have to be physically present when the container clears customs if you pack and are the listed shipping agent.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:23 am
Just Joined

hank is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi m8 I have just been quoted $6300 for a 40! container (dealing with a freight forwader direct) there is another cost of about 1000 pounds for haulage from felixstowe to norwich but I recon I can get this down,it's a bit of a pain but we went direct to a sipping company when we came over and it was about half the best quote from a removalist.Good luck
Old Jun 29th 2009, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

dieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nice

Originally Posted by hank
Hi m8 I have just been quoted $6300 for a 40! container (dealing with a freight forwader direct) there is another cost of about 1000 pounds for haulage from felixstowe to norwich but I recon I can get this down,it's a bit of a pain but we went direct to a sipping company when we came over and it was about half the best quote from a removalist.Good luck
They are havin you over a barrel charging you a 1000 pounds, for that amount you would get it Delivered to John "O" Groats
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dunroving
Are you doing all the packing and stacking? This does not look like a complete service (i.e., may just be container rental and shipping). If you are doing the packing, stacking, unpacking, shipping and customs paperwork, etc., you need to be aware of certain things, e.g.:

You may not be fully insured against breakage if you pack.

You may be more liable to be selected for a customs search if you pack (I think this can be expensive if it happens)

You may have to be physically present when the container clears customs if you pack and are the listed shipping agent.

Yes, this quote includes all packing and paperwork. Does not include insurance.