Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Back to the UK for the second time since March

Back to the UK for the second time since March

Old Nov 11th 2018, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back to the UK for the second time since March

Hello all,

I moved back to Glasgow in March from the GTA in Canada, it was definitely a rough start - the job I had secured wasnt at all what I thought it would be and eventually fell though. I was technically homeless for a couple of weeks (ran up quite the hotel stays before securing a place after the flat I was supposed to have fell through as well)

I stayed for six months and then returned to Canada after giving up thinking to myself that it just wasn't for me. Was I ever wrong, after a few weeks I realized that the job market for my line of work has gotten worse, rents have soared along with the cost of most other things. The only trade off was my friends (who are miles away) and my mum who I've been staying with.

I've discussed it lots with friends and my mum and have decided to have another go at it and am flying into Glasgow at the end of november. The one thing I feel really guilty about is leaving my mum behind - but she says not to feel bad and that I should go to where I feel the most comfortable .

Has anyone experienced this sort of back and forth in such a small period of time ? I know I likely sound mental for going back after three short months but I feel like I'm happier when I'm in Scotland.

I've got several job opportunities lined up and a flat on "hold" so hopefully this experience will be a bit better than last time.

Cheers
Old Nov 16th 2018, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to the UK for the second time since March

Well I guess there was no point in posting this 😂😂

Good luck everyone with your future plans.
Old Nov 16th 2018, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

Freshwhyte,

All the best when you return to Scotland. I would try not to feel guilty about leaving your Mum. As a Mum we just want our children to be happy. Best wishes.
Old Nov 17th 2018, 3:17 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I did the same when working in Germany. Three short term contracts spread out over nine months with the intervals spent back in the UK. Being unemployed was far worse than the discombobulation of ping-ponging back and forth. If you think you have better prospects in Glasgow and you feel more comfortable there then I can’t see how you’ve made the wrong choice.
Old Nov 17th 2018, 7:58 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Freshwhyte
Hello all,

I moved back to Glasgow in March from the GTA in Canada, it was definitely a rough start - the job I had secured wasnt at all what I thought it would be and eventually fell though. I was technically homeless for a couple of weeks (ran up quite the hotel stays before securing a place after the flat I was supposed to have fell through as well)

I stayed for six months and then returned to Canada after giving up thinking to myself that it just wasn't for me. Was I ever wrong, after a few weeks I realized that the job market for my line of work has gotten worse, rents have soared along with the cost of most other things. The only trade off was my friends (who are miles away) and my mum who I've been staying with.

I've discussed it lots with friends and my mum and have decided to have another go at it and am flying into Glasgow at the end of november. The one thing I feel really guilty about is leaving my mum behind - but she says not to feel bad and that I should go to where I feel the most comfortable .

Has anyone experienced this sort of back and forth in such a small period of time ? I know I likely sound mental for going back after three short months but I feel like I'm happier when I'm in Scotland.

I've got several job opportunities lined up and a flat on "hold" so hopefully this experience will be a bit better than last time.

Cheers
FW

I admire your tenacity to follow a very natural basic instinct that most people have, which is to live in a place that makes you feel at home and alive. Not everyone is brave enough to do so. And although it's never the original goal to put forth multiple trips when moving home the cumulative extra effort will in the end be exactly what helps you achieve the goal in this case. I'm sure your mom is very happy for you and like most parents your success is her success. Does she have friends and other children still in Canada? Is she still of working age?

Take your time plan it well and may lady luck be by your side every step of the way.