Reload this Page >

2 years update - after 12 years in Australia

2 years update - after 12 years in Australia

Old Jul 27th 2011, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

brummie61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2 years update - after 12 years in Australia

Originally Posted by islandergirl
Thanks, well the market was pretty bad 2 years but it is starting to turn the corner now, good luck with your move.

I think you have to be in the country to get a job really, the jobs applied for wanted an interview pretty quickly.
thanks
Old Jul 31st 2011, 5:23 pm
Nyz
Forum Regular

Nyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke to a recruitment agent in the UK recently and he said that things are starting to pick up, even just over the last month he's seeing more vacancies, so hopefully that will continue (this was for accounting jobs)
Old Aug 1st 2011, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

brummie61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nyz
I spoke to a recruitment agent in the UK recently and he said that things are starting to pick up, even just over the last month he's seeing more vacancies, so hopefully that will continue (this was for accounting jobs)
I had a email from a friend who moved to UK about 10yrs ago from SA. They doing well and he seems to think economy is good with jobs available & opportunities. So we will see!
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin - good to here you still lurk occasionally - it was my second anniversary that prompted me to post, I remember you left not long before me, sounds like you are still loving it too
I sure am . I think being positive helps. I have to thank Australia for that at least but alas I'll not be going back-too dull,too many flies and to many ocker Aussies
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:35 am
Dr. Watchers

Scottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really nice
Post Re: 2 years update - after 12 years in Australia

Hi good to hear your update experiences. We came back to the UK (Glasgow) in January 2010, so 1 year and 8 months now; we returned from North Island of New Zealand. We had some lovely friends over there both kiwi and ex-pat and my husband just loved it. We became worried about the level of care available in the health service there after my own health scare landed me in the emergency room and also we stressed about the standards of the high school level education for our kids, who were getting to that level. We said we'd give it 2 years over there and we'd spent 2 years and 2 months before coming back. Definitely feel less guilty now that I don't have to leave my mum who sadly is now chronically ill and great to catch up with my sister and old friends here in the UK. Our kids are now in a very very good high school. It was odd coming back at first because even though you keep in touch with UK friends via emails and facebook etc. inevitably they have moved on and you find yourself connecting with fewer folk than you expected. We still feel a little unsettled and a lot poorer financially, having to start again on the housing ladder, we're still renting for the sake of the school catchment area. I know it was the right thing for us to do for the sake of the kids education but I know my OH still hankers to go back. I can see us turning into 'ping pong poms' in a few years after the kids start University. So here's hoping we feel more settled as time goes on.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 8:39 am
Just Joined

nifty1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all. First timer here and it's good to read about your experiences. Thanks for sharing them.
I had 20 years in Australia with many highs and lows. I have now been back for 4 years and only wish Australia was where France is situated! (Although that would mean France would need to be moved, a place I like). I gained some great friends over in Oz and my best mate was (and is) an Aussie. I found that those Aussies (and Kiwis) from interstate and had travelled to Europe, were the easier to get on with.
Now that I've been back I have re-kindled old friendships here in the UK. However, a few have moved on and there is not the common bond that we enjoyed in the past (including family). It's understandable.
I reckon living in Australia makes you so resilient and optimistic towards life. This has been a great asset since I've been back. The 'have a go' culture over there, is missed here in the UK. Although work has been hard to find lately, I have made sure I try to better myself through study and going out for walks of discovery. Because we mainly live in the suburbs in Australia, I find the variety of scenery that is accessible in the UK is a big bonus.
I miss the chance to play the variety of organised sports that I participated in when I lived in Australia. I find that many people here in the UK are more concerned with wealth (including others) instead of life.
I must comment on the press and media in general here. I was shocked at the 'gutter' level of journalism when I first arrived in Oz. Not long after the Lindy Chamberlain/ dingo /baby story. But it is now even worse here (guess it's a guy called Murdoch?). I remember first arriving back to my Mum talking about 'doom and gloom'. I have since persuaded her to ditch the Daily Mail and the Daily Express who target the vulnerable OAPs with negativity. I don't buy a newspaper and avoid the TV news....'ah...ignorance is bliss'.
I'm very happy I moved over to Australia. I'm only back because of my Dad passing away after a long illness. He loved coming over to visit Australia with my Mum. My Mum needed support and I realised that I then didn't have any ties in Australia.
I can see myself going back though. There's a lot to say for dual nationality. How lucky are we?
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 12:12 am
Account Closed

sirscotsalot is an unknown quantity at this point

I love reading about people's experiences since I plan on moving back to Scotland next Spring. It's going to be a big change in my life, some good some bad but hoping for the best. I know when I go back things will have changed after 24 years away. I go back every year on holiday but reading peoples posts on here gives me some inkling of what to expect..
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirscotsalot
I love reading about people's experiences since I plan on moving back to Scotland next Spring. It's going to be a big change in my life, some good some bad but hoping for the best. I know when I go back things will have changed after 24 years away. I go back every year on holiday but reading peoples posts on here gives me some inkling of what to expect..
Hi, your coming home well prepaired, I think if you think life picks up where you left it (in some ways it does) then you might have a bit of a shock, we came back home with the same thoughts as you and have settled in very well. Spring is a lovely time to return home. All the best.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 6:29 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Haven't been on the forum a long time, but last week was my 2 year anniversary of returning to the UK so thought I'd share my experiences maybe it'll help others faced with the same decision.

I lived 12 years in Australia (most of my adult life) so the practicalities of everyday life in the UK were harder than I thought, things I hadn't thought of like the pre-historic banking system, trying to get car insurance just not knowing how stuff worked so much here.

I definitely experienced some reverse culture shock, and also had people take the piss out of my accent which was a hybrid Scottish/NSW effort by the time I returned.

Climate, hmm well Scotland was worse than I remembered, no that's not grass is greener, as the 2 winters since I've been back have been the worst in living memory

Workwise there was not much around when I came back 2 years ago, but I did manage to get a decent job, though pay is less than in Aus - having said that the exchange rate is so poor GBP/AUD that is does distort things.

My family and friends have been absolutely fantastic and it's been wonderful getting to spend so much time with them just doing normal stuff and not having the emtional wrench of a horrible airport farewell loominig, oh I used to hate that when I came back for a visit.

Social life wise, there is more to do here,there are great bands playing and comedians on every week, and food has improved a lot, you can eat out and try loads of different things, not just curries like when I left. Holiday options are much wider, and also a lot cheaper to get to places than from Aus.

Another thing about holidays, because I can see friends and family regularly for weekends, my annual leave is my own, I don't have to haul arse back to Scotland in a 70 hour door to door round trip yikes it's worth moving back for that alone.

I think that if you come back and expect that things will be tough for a while and that there will be a period of adjustment, and that lifestyle is going to be different (not better, not worse, different) and roll with it a bit then it's so worthwhile, I have a new appreciation for my own country.

What can I say, I'm back in the UK and I love it, I'll never leave again (except for fabby holidays)
Hey

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading your post! I am from the UK, grew up in Oz, returned to the UK at 14 and came back nearly 4 years ago.
At the time I swore I would never go back to England but now I have totally changed my mind! I'm over it here, have been down skilled in my job (I'm a paramedic) I'm sick of the humidity where I am and everything is so damn expensive!!!! I came here on my own and I am really missing my friends and family like crazy even though I have made some lovely friends here. Just have to wait a few more months til I can get my citizenship and then I can return to the UK. I have been so depressed about everything, feeling like a failure and stressing out about what to do for the best but after reading some of the posts on here, including yours, I feel so much better! Hope you continue to enjoy your new life in the UK - me? 7 months and counting..................... lol!
Old Dec 8th 2011, 4:28 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Hey

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading your post! I am from the UK, grew up in Oz, returned to the UK at 14 and came back nearly 4 years ago.
At the time I swore I would never go back to England but now I have totally changed my mind! I'm over it here, have been down skilled in my job (I'm a paramedic) I'm sick of the humidity where I am and everything is so damn expensive!!!! I came here on my own and I am really missing my friends and family like crazy even though I have made some lovely friends here. Just have to wait a few more months til I can get my citizenship and then I can return to the UK. I have been so depressed about everything, feeling like a failure and stressing out about what to do for the best but after reading some of the posts on here, including yours, I feel so much better! Hope you continue to enjoy your new life in the UK - me? 7 months and counting..................... lol!
Hang around here you will find out you are far from alone. Such a relief when you find British Expats.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 6:56 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Hang around here you will find out you are far from alone. Such a relief when you find British Expats.
Thank you! Yes its nice to know you are not as alone as you think. All I am getting atm from my mates are "Wtf? Why do you want to come back here?" but none of them have ever lived overseas away from their family! My Aussie mates have been pretty good and are already planning their UK trips lol! I'm looking forward to being able to have nice holidays again, I did a UK trip a few months ago and it was exhausting, what with the traveling and trying to see everyone then all the tears at the airport!!!!!!
Old Dec 9th 2011, 7:18 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Thank you! Yes its nice to know you are not as alone as you think. All I am getting atm from my mates are "Wtf? Why do you want to come back here?" but none of them have ever lived overseas away from their family! My Aussie mates have been pretty good and are already planning their UK trips lol! I'm looking forward to being able to have nice holidays again, I did a UK trip a few months ago and it was exhausting, what with the traveling and trying to see everyone then all the tears at the airport!!!!!!
Oh I get that all the time "What the hell did you come back here for?" though never from anybody who knows me because they know how I feel.

It's usually from strangers who have probably never moved further than the next town.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Yes we find that all the time.....people saying "what the hell did you come back here for?" but i found the people that say that havent set foot outside of Britain....so HOW DARE THEY judge!!!! they dont know any thing,they havent done it nor got the t-shirt........so just say to them "well why dont you give it and try and you will know what its like?" they soon shut up.
Been back 5months now after 10yrs in Alberta and really settling in well.This dump as some call it,is beautiful,has tons to offer,reasonably cheap compairing to some places,including Alberta,offers great cheap travel and the list just goes on.So glad to be HOME
Old Jan 9th 2012, 7:12 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
Yes we find that all the time.....people saying "what the hell did you come back here for?" but i found the people that say that havent set foot outside of Britain....so HOW DARE THEY judge!!!! they dont know any thing,they havent done it nor got the t-shirt........so just say to them "well why dont you give it and try and you will know what its like?" they soon shut up.
Those types of people always seem to have this image that the grass is truly greener but never bother to smell that said grass for themselves.