Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

10 Years in Canada and yearning for the UK

10 Years in Canada and yearning for the UK

Old Apr 11th 2008, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

lalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nice
Default Re: 10 Years in Canada and yearning for the UK

Originally Posted by buggalugs
Hi

Just read your post and couldnt agree more. My Mum has just died (two weeks ago) and I did manage to fly home in time to say my goodbyes for which I am grateful for. I honestly didnt want to return to Canada. Felt so lonely here and am trying to get back into the groove but find it harder and harder. I have been here for 12years now and at first it was the great adventure that my OH and i needed. Its no longer the adventure just feels "wrong" somehow. My mum had relocated from the North to Pembrokeshire and of course whilst I was there I had to stay in a B&B, the people in general were so lovely, from the B&B to the nursing home she was in to the hospital she died in. They treated her so well, dont know if its something to do with "country folk" but it was all good. Whilst there I fell in love with the village (narberth) of course I had been there before but seem to see it differently this time. The hustle and bustle of the village and people all knowing each other and stopping for chats etc.. it was so nice. So.... what to do with my life now. Feel that this year I must make a change. Just wanted to add my two penny worth. Hope things work out for you all.
Buggalugs
Catch up
so sorry Buggalugs about you Mum, whilst i am in Canada my mum as now been diagnosed with a uncurable cancer, im hoping to have returned home before she starts becoming really ill, but you know something that little Village you mentioned Narberth sounds lovely, i have heard of it to, so hope you health and happiness my dear and all the luck in the world and guess what? lots of country folk taking an interest in you as a person.
Happy times ahead
Llalalal
Old Apr 11th 2008, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

lalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nice

Originally Posted by alexx11
i have to say that, when i researched into the cost of living in canada it was very close to uk, were you paid less for one thing in one country, you paid more in the other { like car insurance for example } and yes the wages would be just over double as that would be down to the exchange rate, the reason's why we didnt go is that we would have been financially worse off until i had fount a job, then we would only had been the same as we are here, so here we stay !!!
i will say that the food here has gone up, a loaf of bread is now £1.12 and a chicken is about £4.50
gas and electic water and coucil tax have all increased
alex
Alex hi
i think your right it may work out soome things cheaper and not !!! but one thing i think is cheaper and thats Housing including rental, i believe Wine is much cheaper too, when i was over in wales i could not believe my sisters wine racksssss fully loaded !!! i priced all top quality wines there and compared to here wowo nuts !!! i am reluctentent to purchase lots of fine wine here becasue i have seen it half the price !!
Llalalal
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

alexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ann m
$57,000 is OK - not loads - especially with hollow-legged teenagers! It would depend on what, if any, equity you might have been bringing with you. And would you anticipate have being able to work also? - that could make a huge difference. Anyway - sorry, off topic - best wishes with whatever comes next No point in moving somewhere to struggle bigtime with finances - there is enough going on anyway
Hi ann m
we have no equity, so we will have to rent and as we were going to be near Toronto the rent is quite expensive, compared to where we live now and yes i will NEED to work to cover the bills as well, but as im not a skilled worker {well i am here sort off } lol, i would expect to get minimum wage in canada
thanks for the wishes
alex
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

alexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lalaloubell
Alex hi
i think your right it may work out soome things cheaper and not !!! but one thing i think is cheaper and thats Housing including rental, i believe Wine is much cheaper too, when i was over in wales i could not believe my sisters wine racksssss fully loaded !!! i priced all top quality wines there and compared to here wowo nuts !!! i am reluctentent to purchase lots of fine wine here becasue i have seen it half the price !!
Llalalal
hi llaalal
i am so sorry to hear about your mum, my heart goes out to you, and i hope you can get back to be with her,
alex xxxxx
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Alex hi
Llalalal
hi Llalalal
did you mean that housing in canada is cheaper or england ?
as for wine hehe yep you can get a good one for about £4.00
alex x
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:26 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I going Mad!!!

Thanks Elvira for your feed back i dont quite understand that you said that i would have to be in employment before my husband may join me in the u.k what happens if your in no poistion to be employed, as i have a degenerating disc disease and am in chronic pain, it another one of my reasons for wanting to return home to Wales as Health Care is not so good here now(in Canada)thats another story, i thought when we returned home my hubby will apply for working visa and residency, what you think?
Lalalala
I don't know the details as I have never brought a spouse to the UK, but AFAIK your husband must not become a public charge. I'm sure all the information can be found in the links I gave you - did you not follow them?

Then there's always the horse's mouth, of course, i.e. the Home Office website.

This seems to be another useful website about immigrating to the UK:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/

Last edited by Elvira; Apr 12th 2008 at 1:32 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

I have not gone had time to go through all the websites i had been given, thanks for the feedback i will check out the site for hubby to retrurn with me to wales,
As for housing rentals i have checked out many and in wales i have found some great places for 500 pounds sterling a month" and thats much cheaper than where i am now thats in Calgary" i also just got some great quote for shipping' One that seems very cheap called "Tippet Richardson" 20ft container $3,000 all in, as anyone heard of them? person says Services were impecable. i hope to get lots of stuff sold off ' so i can stick to the 20footer container, its so expensive to return and i seem to have way more shitte now' Getting rid of all the junk is going to be the most work, specially trying to sell items' as people always seem to want something for nothing! but know what!!!!! at the end of it all i will be back in Wales with my family and there for my dear mum' and thats more important than me worrying about sellin stuff' though its stressfull thinking?
Llalalal
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Elvira
I don't know the details as I have never brought a spouse to the UK, but AFAIK your husband must not become a public charge. I'm sure all the information can be found in the links I gave you - did you not follow them?

Then there's always the horse's mouth, of course, i.e. the Home Office website.

This seems to be another useful website about immigrating to the UK:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/
well thankS Elvira i am trying to go through as many websites as i can to get the info, right now i am looking at quotes for container shipping' so far have been given some promising ones, thanks again for your feedback my dear
Lalalala
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:24 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
, but more on unessential items like wine and beer (unessential ? ). ....
most essential, and most costly, how i miss bargin booze. 8 caffreys cost me $22 last night, the bleeder behind the counter could have least of put a mask on.
otherwise money same in and out here, as at home really.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

well thankS Elvira i am trying to go through as many websites as i can to get the info, right now i am looking at quotes for container shipping' so far have been given some promising ones, thanks again for your feedback my dear
Lalalala
Seems to me that figuring out how you are going to get your husband over with you is more important than how much shipping your stuff will be!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
I really did feel "so alive" when I was back there in January, but my OH didn't - he hated it

Ruby
Know the feeling....when I return for visits I just feel depressed and can't wait to get back here (Canada) Horses for courses I guess
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

kaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to all

Really feel for you Lalalou, 8 years of living where you don't want to is really sad.

Buggalugs, sorry about the loss of your mom
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

crusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud of

Be prepared even the UK has changed massivley over the last ten years:

1) Immigration: Everywhere you go now and you are likely to bump into Polsih. Hungarians, They are even starting to put road signs up in Polish. No problem about this on an EXPAT forum but it leads to point 2 below.

2) It's CRAMPED: UK was always densely populated but it's getting a lot worse. As far driving. Crumbs I am going from one traffic jam to the next. NHS, is at breaking point. Be prepared to wait months for a Dr.'s appointment.

3) Cost of living. Gee is this the most expensive country on the world? It cannot be far off. EVERYTHING has doubled over the past 5 years. The tax we pay on fuel £1.15 per litre and rising! )Food is a rip off. Not to mention house prices. Amazing.

4) YOB culture: Hey walk down the street and prepare to be "eye balled," "shouted at" by the hoodies. It's disgraceful what we have allowed to heppen here. There is NO respect at all these days. You can see 12 year old kids getign p*** and the police only take the drink fro mthem. That's it. It's not even a crime. Nandy pandies. I hear schools are out of control. I would not be a teacher for all the money in China these days.

Apart from that it's fine and dandy.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crusheduk

1) Immigration: Everywhere you go now and you are likely to bump into Polsih. Hungarians, They are even starting to put road signs up in Polish. No problem about this on an EXPAT forum but it leads to point 2 below.

2) It's CRAMPED: UK was always densely populated but it's getting a lot worse. As far driving. Crumbs I am going from one traffic jam to the next. NHS, is at breaking point. Be prepared to wait months for a Dr.'s appointment.

3) Cost of living. Gee is this the most expensive country on the world? It cannot be far off. EVERYTHING has doubled over the past 5 years. The tax we pay on fuel £1.15 per litre and rising! )Food is a rip off. Not to mention house prices. Amazing.

4) YOB culture: Hey walk down the street and prepare to be "eye balled," "shouted at" by the hoodies. It's disgraceful what we have allowed to heppen here. There is NO respect at all these days. You can see 12 year old kids getign p*** and the police only take the drink fro mthem. That's it. It's not even a crime. Nandy pandies. I hear schools are out of control. I would not be a teacher for all the money in China these days.

mths for a drs appointment??? dont know where you live but we get in the same or next day.

food is still cheaper than in canada and plenty more choice.

so what if polish people live here,they actually WORK for a living,and when theyve made money they go back.

all this negativity is what makes people leave our country in the first place.

for goodness sake,look for the positives, you sound like a tabloid reporter !
Old Apr 26th 2008, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crusheduk

I have lived in the US for 16 years and go back to the UK at least 3 times a year. I probably spend 3 months a year in the UK. I come from Manchester, which I would say is pretty diverse in population, it's a large city and it is very busy and bustling (love it to bits!). Is there crime? Yes. Are the traffic jams? Yes. Are there immigrants? Yes. However, the 'this country has gone to the dogs' argument is an exageration. People who moan about the NHS have no idea what it can be like in other countries. Have you heard about the health crisis in the US? Some people here wait a lifetime to see a doctor! Watch SICKO (it's a movie). The UK has problems, I know, and I don't have to tell you what they are. But...after 16 years in a country that is stiffling culturally, the UK is a breath of fresh air.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.