Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

1 Month Update - Going Great and Loving Being Back!!

1 Month Update - Going Great and Loving Being Back!!

Old Jan 22nd 2012, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1 Month Update - Going Great and Loving Being Back!!

Alicat26,

Thank you so much its so helpful to hear this kind of thing. I totally relate to the feeling silly, when I have been back I've felt like I need to wear a badge saying "I'm not dense really I just haven't lived here for years" Simple things like the money caught me out it had changed since I lived there and I had to really think about it.

The driving thing is something I'm dreading but know I'd just have to get on with it. Even stuff like tiny parking spaces after being used to all the space over here would be a challenge for me!

Switzerland!! How exciting, I've never been but I hear its very beautiful.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been back many times over the past 36 years, I've always rented cars and not had that much trouble with driving, I've driven on the wrong side a few times after being parked on the wrong side of the road, but never hit anyone, I love driving and always put a lot of miles on the car...

I'm not a fan of big city driving these days, and think I was very good at it many years ago... I love the country roads and small villages...

I must admit I went back three years ago and almost caused an accident on exiting a roundabout, it was clearly my fault, it seems the rules have changed since I learned to drive, they now paint lanes on roundabouts and if you don't follow them you might sideswipe another car, I was very lucky that the other driver was on the ball...

I think everyone would be wise to take some refresher driving lessons soon after getting back, it might be money well spent, certainly cheaper than the high cost of insurance after an accident...

I do rent automatics these days as I prefer them and think its one less thing to worry about in the busy UK...

I do find British drivers to be very courteous, giving way on tight streets, it always impresses me, I always flash my lights to say thankyou...
Old Jan 24th 2012, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

SadInStates is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh wow you sound so happy it's infectious!
I'm so pleased it's workng out so well for you. It gives me hope for our move in the summer.
Thanks aso for the heads up re: CV Library!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiHao
Alicat26,

Thank you so much its so helpful to hear this kind of thing. I totally relate to the feeling silly, when I have been back I've felt like I need to wear a badge saying "I'm not dense really I just haven't lived here for years" Simple things like the money caught me out it had changed since I lived there and I had to really think about it.

The driving thing is something I'm dreading but know I'd just have to get on with it. Even stuff like tiny parking spaces after being used to all the space over here would be a challenge for me!

Switzerland!! How exciting, I've never been but I hear its very beautiful.
Hello NiHao...

The money confuses me too, so its not just you, I usually explain I'm on holiday and then they start asking questions, I think its the size of the dime and 5p that messes with my head...

Parking is much tighter especially in Multi storey car parks...

Just remember you used to drive there before so you will be OK after a little time...

Even some of the small cars come with parking sensors front and rear...
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear it's going so well, welcome home!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Sammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SadInStates
Oh wow you sound so happy it's infectious!
I'm so pleased it's workng out so well for you. It gives me hope for our move in the summer.
Thanks aso for the heads up re: CV Library!
This is such a good new story, so excited for you and also for when I get to write on this forum - with my own thread about successfully moving home!!

Congratulations and I look forward to hearing more about Switzerland - I am so looking forward to some more cultural experiences when I get home!!!

All the best
Old Jan 24th 2012, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

I`ve only been away five years but am still convinced I will hand over an obsolete coin and get laughed at! It was hard enough to keep up when we lived in the UK.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 11:34 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: 1 Month Update - Going Great and Loving Being Back!!

Wow.....you are now working for a confectionery company......and going to work in Switzerland for 3 months....oooooh it must be a chocolate company I should think? Lindt, Cailler, Sprungli? Nestle?

My spouse relocated to Switzerland last Summer so I'm splitting my time between Zug and New Jersey. I'm not going back there until Easter (with a few days in London beforehand) but if you are anywhere near Central Switzerland we should meet up or you can come round to our place!

We are 20 mins by train south of Zurich and 20 mins by train from Lucerne at beautiful Lake Zug It's the German speaking part of Switzerland, I can't understand a word of it LOL! It's also incredibly expensive (lots of people go across the border to shop in Basle for instance) but luckily you are on an all-expenses paid assignment

http://www.zug-tourismus.ch/en/welcome.cfm

http://www.zug-tourismus.ch/en/page.cfm/WebcamsZT

It does sound like you have made a brilliant move back across the pond - Good for You!
Old Jan 26th 2012, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

usoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud of

So happy that you are settling back in. I lived in AZ for 7 years, dreadful heat and brown scenery. I suppose FL was similar in some ways. Once we came back to NJ....everything just came alive for me...in the scenic sense! colour everywhere.but driving back in NJ was hard for me as the roads were not on the same grid like system as AZ, very straight, flat and wide surrounded by lots of subdivisions. In NJ like the UK, alot of roads are actually narrow with hills, bends and more parallel parking struggles! but the variety is nice.

Just the general prettiness of home amongst other things makes me so homesick...I don't really care about the open road look in the US...if there was something nice to look at I would'nt mind. I just love the little villages and country lanes of home..and I love oohing and aahing at the pretty, historic places that appear all over the place..not those vinyl shacks that are everywhere over here..called homes!!!! keep the updates coming...you are finally home....
Old Jan 26th 2012, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

alicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nice

Thanks everyone I'll keep you updated with the next adventure.

Englishmum, yes it's Nestlé! Wow so you have a place there, that sounds great! I'm not sure if I'm going to be at the HQ in Vevey or somewhere else. I haven't been told much about it yet. If all goes to plan I should be there for Easter definitely, I'll have to PM you soon and maybe we could meet up, wouldn't that be something.

Re driving - yes don't get me wrong, I have struggled with it since being back and I avoid it if at all possible, but I wouldn't trade our narrow side streets, roundabouts and hills for a flat featureless sprawling landscape, a la Florida, AZ or such like. At least most places in the UK you can get to via walking, bus or train, or you don't HAVE to get in the car each time you leave the house.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alicat26
Thanks everyone I'll keep you updated with the next adventure
Please do, I look forward to reading it

Originally Posted by alicat26
Re driving - yes don't get me wrong, I have struggled with it since being back and I avoid it if at all possible, but I wouldn't trade our narrow side streets, roundabouts and hills for a flat featureless sprawling landscape, a la Florida, AZ or such like. At least most places in the UK you can get to via walking, bus or train, or you don't HAVE to get in the car each time you leave the house.
I intend to take driving lessons as I have never driven in the UK. Roundabouts do petrify me, but I suppose I'll get use to it once I start my lessons
Old Feb 5th 2012, 8:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
I`ve only been away five years but am still convinced I will hand over an obsolete coin and get laughed at! It was hard enough to keep up when we lived in the UK.
Dh and I did that one year when we went on holiday. I had a £20 note and tried to use it in Tesco. At first I thought I hadn't bought enough and they didn't have enough change in the till, then everyone in line started telling us how if we'd used it last month we'd be fine, but we had to take it to the bank and they would exchange it I was so embarrassed, we had no clue
Old Feb 5th 2012, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Heavens to Betsy, cant use a 20 pound note? Whatever next? What did they change it for?
Old Feb 6th 2012, 12:08 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
Heavens to Betsy, cant use a 20 pound note? Whatever next? What did they change it for?
A new $20 note We had an old style it was a while back. But I would hoard the UK money my father sent for Birthdays
Old Feb 6th 2012, 12:21 am
Just Joined

Bar66949 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry don't know where to ask this question. If I need records of trips taken outside the UK with my UK passport does anyone know who I would ask? In usa you can get records from border patrol but if going into UK it seems they just look at your passport.

Last edited by Bar66949; Feb 6th 2012 at 12:23 am. Reason: Give more info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.