Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

*Vent* shackled by circumstance

*Vent* shackled by circumstance

Old Apr 13th 2007, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

The Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really nice
Default Re: *Vent* shackled by circumstance

Originally Posted by nohinsara
Bit of an update - We applied for the line of credit and got it! Just waiting on the paper work and notary then all should be good to go. I'm not really sure what my plan of action should be from here, but I think I have a rough idea.

Now that things are getting a little more real, my OH is acting up again, it's not making this an easy process at all! I feel like every time I get somewhere he has to ruin my excitement by sulking like a child. I understand this is stressful for him, but common! :curse:

Maybe he agreed to go because he thought it would just never happen.
Hi there
Has your husband ever visited the UK? I guess it would be difficult for him to move over there without ever seeing the place Men need treating with kid gloves sometimes!!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 7:15 pm
After 10 years of trying

nohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Broady's
Hi there
Has your husband ever visited the UK? I guess it would be difficult for him to move over there without ever seeing the place Men need treating with kid gloves sometimes!!
That's the funny thing! He has visited the UK, both with me on holiday and by himself when he was living in Paris 7 years back. He seems to enjoy it there, so it shouldn't be this horrible fate that he's making it out to seem like.

I guess he's just stressed about the financial aspect of it and all that.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

Hi Nohinsara,
Not trying to put a downer on things but dont let your desparation of wanting to come to the UK cloud your finances. All manner of things could go wrong including your hubby not going through with it, and then what are you left with....another huge debt to pay off. Its all too easy to dig yourself deeper financially and not realise it til its too late. I really hope this is not the case for you and hope it works out.
Just a few things that you may want to think about... what about trying to rent your condo out instead of selling. You could kill 2 birds with that, you may be able to charge enough to more than cover your existing mortage thus help pay some other debts off along the way, also it might make your hubby more secure to think well if it doesnt work out in the UK you could still go back. Although not what you want in the long run ( dont tell him that) but it might be enough leverage for your hubby to feel better about it.
Also you mention London...if you are not well off financially then London wouldnt be the place I would choose to come and live. Expensive in every respect.

hope it helps a little
Old Apr 14th 2007, 4:36 pm
After 10 years of trying

nohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nice

I'm not letting my desperation cloud my judgment. If that were the case, I would have left 4 years ago. I've been working on this problem and it's prospective solutions for this long, so I don't see myself as making any decisions out of desperation. I have my son to consider, after all.

As for things going wrong, I'm also fully aware of those possibilities too, as I've been there and done that.
We have thought about renting the condo out, but it's a no-go I'm sorry to say. The area we are in would not pull enough rent to cover the mortgage and strata fees (strata fees alone are $330 per month and going up this year). There's no way we could make money on it, and even if we did try to rent it out we would have to supplement monthly to float it. Another added expense from the UK we just can't afford.

The only way to get money out of this condo is to take some of the money from the loan and update the interior, then sell the place.

As for London, yes I know it's crazy expensive. Not only have I been told that (over and over) but I know from my own personal experience. The only reason I was considering it was because it seems to be where the bulk of jobs are. In truth we will go where ever the work takes us though - Leeds, Manchester, anywhere.

Originally Posted by ezzkazz
Hi Nohinsara,
Not trying to put a downer on things but dont let your desparation of wanting to come to the UK cloud your finances. All manner of things could go wrong including your hubby not going through with it, and then what are you left with....another huge debt to pay off. Its all too easy to dig yourself deeper financially and not realise it til its too late. I really hope this is not the case for you and hope it works out.
Just a few things that you may want to think about... what about trying to rent your condo out instead of selling. You could kill 2 birds with that, you may be able to charge enough to more than cover your existing mortage thus help pay some other debts off along the way, also it might make your hubby more secure to think well if it doesnt work out in the UK you could still go back. Although not what you want in the long run ( dont tell him that) but it might be enough leverage for your hubby to feel better about it.
Also you mention London...if you are not well off financially then London wouldnt be the place I would choose to come and live. Expensive in every respect.

hope it helps a little
Old Apr 14th 2007, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

my post wasnt a criticism by the way
What kind of work would you and your husband be looking for?
Old Apr 14th 2007, 6:00 pm
After 10 years of trying

my post wasnt a criticism by the way
What kind of work would you and your husband be looking for?
I know you're just trying to help. My reply is not meant to sound cranky, rather it's meant to be a simple statement of the facts of my situation. Sorry if I came off rude.

My husband works in E-commerce (policy/fraud) and I do admin, or did until I had my son. I guess I would have to work at night or off hours when we move over.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

not much help really and perhaps you have already done it but have you tried looking at some job sites for the UK and then perhaps you may be able to work out what area of the country the jobs that suit you are at.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 7:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: *Vent* shackled by circumstance

I know you're just trying to help. My reply is not meant to sound cranky, rather it's meant to be a simple statement of the facts of my situation. Sorry if I came off rude.

My husband works in E-commerce (policy/fraud) and I do admin, or did until I had my son. I guess I would have to work at night or off hours when we move over.

Take a look at the recruitment agency website, Michael Page International. They have offices around the world but there does seem to be quite a lot of IT and support jobs in the UK listed including permanent, temporary and contract:

http://www.michaelpage.co.uk/

Hope this helps! (I'm sure there are other similar agencies too, but I've lived away from the UK for 12 years, only knew about Michael Page as I lived in Singapore for a few years).

Also:

http://jobs.guardian.co.uk/

http://jobs.telegraph.co.uk/

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...reer_and_jobs/

http://jobs.independent.co.uk/jobs/INM/index.asp

Last edited by Englishmum; Apr 14th 2007 at 7:18 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 11:18 pm
After 10 years of trying

not much help really and perhaps you have already done it but have you tried looking at some job sites for the UK and then perhaps you may be able to work out what area of the country the jobs that suit you are at.
Everything helps in one way or another! It's ironic, but most of the jobs my OH can do are in London.

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Take a look at the recruitment agency website, Michael Page International. They have offices around the world but there does seem to be quite a lot of IT and support jobs in the UK listed including permanent, temporary and contract:

http://www.michaelpage.co.uk/

Hope this helps! (I'm sure there are other similar agencies too, but I've lived away from the UK for 12 years, only knew about Michael Page as I lived in Singapore for a few years).

Also:

http://www.reed.co.uk/

http://jobs.guardian.co.uk/

http://jobs.telegraph.co.uk/

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...reer_and_jobs/

http://jobs.independent.co.uk/jobs/INM/index.asp
Thank you for those sites! I'll take a look at them for sure. I already use Reed, Totaljobs and Monster. New sites are welcome.
The only thing I find is that I feel that I have to apply for twice as many jobs to get half the results for my OH (I do all his applying) because the second prospective employers and recruitment agencies find out we're way over here, my OH's CV hits the bin. None of them want to bother with you until you're right in front of them.

That's just one more thing that frustrates the heck out of me, and yet another reason I think we just have to bite the bullet and head over without work in search of it. Risky business!!
Old Apr 15th 2007, 4:50 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Geez, isn't living between 2 countries a nightmare??? My ex has just gone back to the UK after 2 years in Australia. We have a toddler. We've been separated for a while though and it was a real stress trying to sort out visas etc for him to come over here initially as we weren't together. He was incredibly fortunate that, without skills/quals he got a work permit in my home town, however the boss turned out to be awful and eventually cut his hours right down. My ex was exhausted after 2 years away from home (and the whole surprise pregnancy thing!) and quit and up and left.

In the same week I got a job across the country (in Oz) and had to up sticks and return to work, put bub in daycare and all with nobody that I know for (quite literally) thousands of miles

I really can't understand why you can't apply for the spouse visa outside the UK? I'm sure I've read on other threads that it's actually easier to apply from outside the UK and return together?? It doesn't make any sense. But then, I am trying to get back to the UK so that my daughter can be near her father (and given without qualifications he really has no hope of getting back into Oz, the first time was a fluke, and as I am a teacher I should be able to get back to the UK). We are having terrible trouble though - I can't teach in England due to a new rule about QTS and Scotland (where we want to go anyway), well it's like pulling hen's teeth trying to get a work permit there.

Not sure if you realise but your husband is not eligible for a WHV because he has a dependent child.

Where abouts are your family in the UK? Would they not give you some sort of childcare support to take the pressure off you until OH could come over?

Perhaps you could get in touch with Immigration agencies, for their advice. My ex did that in Australia (actually I think he went directly to Immigration for advice) and they were quite helpful.

Has your OH tried registering with agencies in England to find work permit work for him (although again, I cannot see how someone married to a British person would need a work permit???). Friends of mine (English and Australian) got spouse visa organised and they were living at his parents place in England and I neither of them had jobs.

It's all a bit strange. Are you able to go to the British Consulate where you are and make an appointment to see someone about your situation? Just to get the official word on your options?

Good luck. It's a nightmare. I've been trying to go back for 2 years and had every door slammed in my face. And the area of the UK I want to go to has a declining population, especially amongst young women of 'childbearing age' (and obviously that's me!) as well as trouble attracting/keeping skilled workers. Unfortunately there is no incentive for employers to consider getting work permits - no information provided, no financial assistance. So why would they? It all sucks I hope you find a way in!
Old Apr 15th 2007, 5:26 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of an update - We applied for the line of credit and got it! Just waiting on the paper work and notary then all should be good to go. I'm not really sure what my plan of action should be from here, but I think I have a rough idea.

Now that things are getting a little more real, my OH is acting up again, it's not making this an easy process at all! I feel like every time I get somewhere he has to ruin my excitement by sulking like a child. I understand this is stressful for him, but common! :curse:

Maybe he agreed to go because he thought it would just never happen.
Congrats on the good news! I had my fingers cross for you.Seems like alot of couples are trying to decide where best to live.It can be a scary prospect for some, to pack up and move away.I have a feeling you're right about your hubby being nervous,with the loan approval, the move has suddenly become real where before it was just a possibility.

My brother is going through the same thing,he only wants to get his wife to leave expensive New Jersey for pleasant more affordable florida.Deciding where to move really can challenge a couple's relationship.In any case I'm very happy your loan has worked out,you go after your dreams because you only get to live this life one time.Please keep us up dated on your plans.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 5:27 am
After 10 years of trying

Originally Posted by matildaskye
Geez, isn't living between 2 countries a nightmare??? My ex has just gone back to the UK after 2 years in Australia. We have a toddler. We've been separated for a while though and it was a real stress trying to sort out visas etc for him to come over here initially as we weren't together. He was incredibly fortunate that, without skills/quals he got a work permit in my home town, however the boss turned out to be awful and eventually cut his hours right down. My ex was exhausted after 2 years away from home (and the whole surprise pregnancy thing!) and quit and up and left.

In the same week I got a job across the country (in Oz) and had to up sticks and return to work, put bub in daycare and all with nobody that I know for (quite literally) thousands of miles

I really can't understand why you can't apply for the spouse visa outside the UK? I'm sure I've read on other threads that it's actually easier to apply from outside the UK and return together?? It doesn't make any sense. But then, I am trying to get back to the UK so that my daughter can be near her father (and given without qualifications he really has no hope of getting back into Oz, the first time was a fluke, and as I am a teacher I should be able to get back to the UK). We are having terrible trouble though - I can't teach in England due to a new rule about QTS and Scotland (where we want to go anyway), well it's like pulling hen's teeth trying to get a work permit there.

Not sure if you realise but your husband is not eligible for a WHV because he has a dependent child.

Where abouts are your family in the UK? Would they not give you some sort of childcare support to take the pressure off you until OH could come over?

Perhaps you could get in touch with Immigration agencies, for their advice. My ex did that in Australia (actually I think he went directly to Immigration for advice) and they were quite helpful.

Has your OH tried registering with agencies in England to find work permit work for him (although again, I cannot see how someone married to a British person would need a work permit???). Friends of mine (English and Australian) got spouse visa organised and they were living at his parents place in England and I neither of them had jobs.

It's all a bit strange. Are you able to go to the British Consulate where you are and make an appointment to see someone about your situation? Just to get the official word on your options?

Good luck. It's a nightmare. I've been trying to go back for 2 years and had every door slammed in my face. And the area of the UK I want to go to has a declining population, especially amongst young women of 'childbearing age' (and obviously that's me!) as well as trouble attracting/keeping skilled workers. Unfortunately there is no incentive for employers to consider getting work permits - no information provided, no financial assistance. So why would they? It all sucks I hope you find a way in!
You're right, I do feel like I'm in the middle of a nightmare.
Bit of a misunderstanding here... My OH can apply for a spousal visa here and we can go over together with our son. Technically yes, we can apply, and I hear that there is a high success rate for people that do apply for this same visa we're after. The problems are:

- We have no family in the UK with whom we can stay (well, I do have a family member there, but I have never met nor spoken to him, so he's out)
- We don't have anywhere else to stay
- We will have very limited funds to go over with, and living in the most expensive city in the country isn't helping
- No one wants to hire my OH from overseas
- They just upped the flipping fee for the visa :curse:
- My OH is not thrilled with going, it's taken me years to get him to agree. I have to do all of his side of the work because if I don't do it, we won't be going anywhere
- My son is still quite young (less than a year) and needs me, so I cannot work right away, nor can I go over first to settle
- The British Consulate is 4,850 km from where I live, and they do not take phone calls.

*rant over*

Still in the face of all that I remain determined. I will get us there somehow. I just don't really know how I'm going to do it without ruining us and or our marriage!

Your situation sounds quite trying! I hope you have some luck soon and things turn around for you. Where there's a will there's a way, as they say. With any luck you and I both will be posting our good news in this forum!
Old Apr 15th 2007, 1:14 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

If your OH is not restricted by a work permit, then it means he can work anywhere - you could get the spouse visa, head over, and he could work in Tesco??

But of course, if he isn't keen he probably won't like that idea!! But like many ppl on other forums are posting - sometimes you don't have the luxury of a job before you go and have to suffer through the part-time or casual work until an opportunity comes up.

Like you say, you could work but I have a toddler myself and understand your apprehension. I would look at your son as something to help you be patient - the longer you wait before you head back (and have to leave him to go to work) the better for him. I've started thinking about it this way and it makes it easier. If I put 'the end of next year' on things as my timeframe (even tho I want to be back YESTERDAY!) it means my daughter will be 3, and old enough to start nursery school (halving the childcare costs). She'll be old enough to stay o/night at her dads or grandparents etc, giving me more of a life. She'll be old enough to remember my family who are all in Oz, making them happier.

So it makes me feel better to stretch my plans out until next year, rather than letting the desperation overwhelm me now (and believe me it can do that! sometimes I just wonder why I even bother getting up when I'm stuck in this goddam country!)

Anyway, just another way of putting things into perspective. I was also wondering about whether you'd looked into the Hong Kong thing: I'm sure (in all my UK Immigration searches) I've noticed different visas/requirements for citizens of HK? Worth checking out, although if you can get the spouse visa then immigration isn't your problem, it's work. Has you OH looked into jobs in really regional areas (where cost of living is less), or changing companies and trying to get work in Edinburgh or Manchester etc?

My ex is now looking at coming back to Australia as the immigration process is so much easier and cheaper compared to the other way around (despite the fact I have degrees and he has nowt...madness!)

Good luck!
Old Apr 15th 2007, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

My two pennies would be: that almost all of this misery of "wanting to be somewhere else" with, or without a husband at hand and "murdering onself regretting old decissions", "unable to finance a way out" is in the MIND!

Self-inflicted unhappiness.
Think. All who see you believe you have many reasons to be happy.

But reinforced from a small thouhts that occured somewhere way back and grew by day, your problem has grown into an painful obsession. Most of the circumstances you describe are far from catastrophic compared to what many poor and unfortunate people suffer in some wreched places.

I believe that very few people are actually "shackled by circumstances" and most become "shackled by their own thoughts".

I had myslef spent several years in BC dying to come to U.K. and an then, a few years later agonizing in U.K. to be in BC. My marriage is not rosy and both me and my wife are really quite awaful people at times.

The idea is really to try and train your mind away from negative thoughts. How is that done? You can start by making in your mind a list of things that are GOOD about your situation.In the morning and at bedtime.This is how children are happy no matter what. They do just that!

Think e.g "that your child is not disabled", or "suffering long term sickness", that "your husband has managed to do a few good things in the last few days", "you are not likley to go hungry today", "people in the next village (for those in Van you can think of Mission) are not plotting to murder your family", etc etc. With a bit of discipline you will find it easier every day and then your worries will HAVE to subside.

It is MECHANICAL!

Do try it.

Old Apr 15th 2007, 6:29 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Its not so easy making your self accept situations which are emotionally depressing no matter how many times you try to think positive .We all have certain goals for our life and if the twist and turns of life places us where we fall short of those goals only a quiter would just give in with out trying to turn things around.Life is a journey and like a road map there are many streets to travel on and who says you have to take the same route each and every trip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.