Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Zabeel Park BBQ etiquette?

Zabeel Park BBQ etiquette?

Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

ssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud of
Default Zabeel Park BBQ etiquette?

Being relatively new to Dubai - I wouldn't mind some advice here.

So here's the scenario...

Went to Zabeel Park yesterday for a BBQ with some pals. If you aren't aware the park has these dedicated BBQ stations with fixed tables etc.

Got there around 11.00am to set up for friends arriving around 12.30. I approached a station with had a couple of strategically placed plastic chairs but without any individuals. For the next 20-30 mins or so I set up my food,music bits and bobs etc and lit the BBQ coals.

After about 30 mins two young maids, having now seen me and clearly concerned, came running over saying that they had reserved the station for their boss and that he wouldn't be happy. I said that I'd glady share the station.....Girls doubted but went away.

Five minutes later they came running back handing me their mobile phone with an extremely angry 'boss' on the other end demanding that I vacate immediately as his 'servants' (his words not mine) had earmarked the spot for him. I reiterated that I'd be happy to share but he wasn't having any of that at all (well that's what I deduced between the shouting and screaming and threats of the park authorities involvement...etc).

Suffice to say he got short shrift but I just wondered what the form over here is? When I mentioned it to my pals later on they suggested that as he was a local it probably wasn't wise to pick a fight...if you could call it that?

Oh..and one final point. The 'boss' finally turned up with 20 or so family/colleagues at....wait for it...... 4.30pm!! These two poor maids had waited all day in the park without food nor drink, other than what we gave them, for over 5 hours!
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Zabeel Park BBQ etiquette?

Originally Posted by ssuh

Went to Zabeel Park yesterday for a BBQ with some pals. If you aren't aware the park has these dedicated BBQ stations with fixed tables etc.

Got there around 11.00am to set up for friends arriving around 12.30. I approached a station with had a couple of strategically placed plastic chairs but without any individuals. For the next 20-30 mins or so I set up my food,music bits and bobs etc and lit the BBQ coals.

After about 30 mins two young maids, having now seen me and clearly concerned, came running over saying that they had reserved the station for their boss and that he wouldn't be happy. I said that I'd glady share the station.....Girls doubted but went away.

Five minutes later they came running back handing me their mobile phone with an extremely angry 'boss' on the other end demanding that I vacate immediately as his 'servants' (his words not mine) had earmarked the spot for him. I reiterated that I'd be happy to share but he wasn't having any of that at all (well that's what I deduced between the shouting and screaming and threats of the park authorities involvement...etc).

Suffice to say he got short shrift but I just wondered what the form over here is? When I mentioned it to my pals later on they suggested that as he was a local it probably wasn't wise to pick a fight...if you could call it that?

Oh..and one final point. The 'boss' finally turned up with 20 or so family/colleagues at....wait for it...... 4.30pm!! These two poor maids had waited all day in the park without food nor drink, other than what we gave them, for over 5 hours!
Firstly, it is a public park...He can take his case to the municipality which manages the park and do his crying over there...
Secondly, no need for a secondly...
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have waited for him to turn up, pulled his dish dash over his head, kicked him in the bollocks and told him to have more manners.................. then booked a flight home before anyone could catch me!!

Why do these people seem to think they are above everyone else. It bugs me the arrogance some of these people have.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

I trust you extinguished your BBQ by pissing on it, that ammonia flavour sure does enhance the flavour of meat.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benzonar
I trust you extinguished your BBQ by pissing on it, that ammonia flavour sure does enhance the flavour of meat.
hahahaha...oooh you are evil...

MM, xx
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 12:11 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ssuh

he would have got some 'industrial' language from me thats for sure. What a bell-end.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
he would have got some 'industrial' language from me thats for sure. What a bell-end.
Is that similar to telling him where to stick his sausage or kebab
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 12:19 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris79
I had a right ding dong with a cab driver last night, we got one from souk medinat, its only about dir 10 and he was complaining, signing and shouting all the way home and hammering around, mrs spugsy was actually scared and when we told him to slow down he complained even more so when he got us home me, mrs spugsy and my mate all had a go at him, he had a go back so I slammed his door and he went crackers, I went even more madt him.

Now really we should have been better behaved and just reported him, any idea how or to whop I would do this to?
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

You need to have his number, the 1 on the side of the cab. Then you call Dubai taxis and make a complaint.
It is difficult for short journeys, if I get a taxi from the MOE to home..less than 10dhs, I always tell them that I know it is a short way but I give them double the fare as a tip at least that way they make a bit of money.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 12:51 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
You need to have his number, the 1 on the side of the cab. Then you call Dubai taxis and make a complaint.
It is difficult for short journeys, if I get a taxi from the MOE to home..less than 10dhs, I always tell them that I know it is a short way but I give them double the fare as a tip at least that way they make a bit of money.
we would have happily given him 20 if he hadn't been a prick anbd just complained from the second we left.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have waited for him to turn up, pulled his dish dash over his head, kicked him in the bollocks and told him to have more manners.................. then booked a flight home before anyone could catch me!!

Why do these people seem to think they are above everyone else. It bugs me the arrogance some of these people have.
Originally Posted by benzonar
I never had you kids as spiteful bastards...
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 1:37 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Confucius
I never had you kids as spiteful bastards...
we've been spending too much time around you grandad.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

we've been spending too much time around you grandad.
You'll pay for this...BBQ at Creek Park next W/E???
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Confucius
You'll pay for this...BBQ at Creek Park next W/E???
Sorry but I have reserved the one next to the palm tree.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lionheart
Sorry but I have reserved the one next to the palm tree.
Feel free to sit on it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.