Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Your current situation

Your current situation

Old Apr 20th 2020, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

vik7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Your current situation

How many of you have either lost your jobs or took a paycut?
i have had to take 50% (airlines) and seriously considering just packing it in this summer. I have a feeling a lot of companies will likely keep this cut in place even after lockdown. maybe not all 50% but i seriously have doubts they will give us our full salary back

I can still have a nice life with my family with a paycut but wont save anything so it reaches the point where you wonder if its worth being away from home?
i understand things may be tough back in the UK as well but least schooling is covered and huge rent doesnt need to be paid

What are other people in similar position to me thinking of doing? am i being to pessimistic?
Old Apr 20th 2020, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your current situation

The industry I'm in (oil) is doing way worse in the UK than here, so virtually no chance of a job there.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 5:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Nothing yet but something is coming this week.

A combination of redundancies discussed, pay cuts across the board to limit redundancies, some unpaid leave etc. I know the European parts of the business are furloughing like crazy because it's an amazing scheme to protect people and jobs without having the cost. I've been reminding my UK based boss we have none of that here.

I have said a pay cut is fine with me, especially if temporary and protecting jobs. A pay cut and reduced hours would make sense for a lot of people who just aren't busy - but then the argument is why not just make them go on unpaid leave.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vik7
How many of you have either lost your jobs or took a paycut?
i have had to take 50% (airlines) and seriously considering just packing it in this summer. I have a feeling a lot of companies will likely keep this cut in place even after lockdown. maybe not all 50% but i seriously have doubts they will give us our full salary back

I can still have a nice life with my family with a paycut but wont save anything so it reaches the point where you wonder if its worth being away from home?
i understand things may be tough back in the UK as well but least schooling is covered and huge rent doesnt need to be paid

What are other people in a similar position to me thinking of doing? am i being to pessimistic?
Sorry to hear this. I agree with your sentiments, there must come a time when it's just not worth it - the worst outcome has to be burning savings to stay, so many people do that and then are forced out at the end, but with nothing.

GDP for the UAE/KSA was expected to grow at around 2% this year, the latest revisions are now showing a contraction of around 5%. Both numbers are wrong but the trends will be right. I imagine the UK to be broadly similar but without the wild swings and escalating costs.

Good luck with the future.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 7:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Sorry to hear this. I agree with your sentiments, there must come a time when it's just not worth it - the worst outcome has to be burning savings to stay, so many people do that and then are forced out at the end, but with nothing.

GDP for the UAE/KSA was expected to grow at around 2% this year, the latest revisions are now showing a contraction of around 5%. Both numbers are wrong but the trends will be right. I imagine the UK to be broadly similar but without the wild swings and escalating costs.

Good luck with the future.
I think this year is about surviving. Survive with a company at reduced rates or little impact and you're winning big style.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I think this year is about surviving. Survive with a company at reduced rates or little impact and you're winning big style.
Yup. I think so - hunker down and batten the hatches. I wanted to leave this year but looks like I'm in for another.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 8:10 am
Account Closed

Yup. I think so - hunker down and batten the hatches. I wanted to leave this year but looks like I'm in for another.
It's certainly made me think a little more about an exit plan sooner rather than later. Moving back home just has such little appeal we've avoided thinking about it at all to be honest.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's certainly made me think a little more about an exit plan sooner rather than later. Moving back home just has such little appeal we've avoided thinking about it at all to be honest.
Oh, wasn't clear... leave the job, not the region. I'm probably (hopefully) here for a while yet.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 8:38 am
Account Closed

Oh, wasn't clear... leave the job, not the region. I'm probably (hopefully) here for a while yet.
Ah yes, OK. Same on wanting to stay for a while yet.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah yes, OK. Same on wanting to stay for a while yet.
Of course, though.. that return ticket hidden away in top-drawer has never been more important.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 9:56 am
Account Closed

Of course, though.. that return ticket hidden away in top-drawer has never been more important.
My return I moved to late April can't be changed any more. Guess I might lose it but haven't called them to check
Old Apr 20th 2020, 10:49 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vik7

What are other people in similar position to me thinking of doing? am i being to pessimistic?
We've just moved back to UK, still a few ties in UAE to close down.

One of the big changes I see is all business looking at how they are getting through this situation, and more importantly those businesses that do survive will be looking at how they operated and where they can continue to save costs.

I used to do a lot of (air) travel with work, I expect that this will be a thing of the past for a lot of companies - all travel will be scrutinized (expect the argument 'if we managed this without travel during the COVID-19 crisis, why can't we do it now?).

I expect working from home will become more of a standard practice, smaller city offices to be used mainly for meetings.

This is worth thinking about - https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...-over-11974459 I know for myself, the first pint in a beer garden (whenever that happens) will be up there with the birth of my daughter and (maybe) my wedding day.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 10:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
This is worth thinking about - https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...-over-11974459 I know for myself, the first pint in a beer garden (whenever that happens) will be up there with the birth of my daughter and (maybe) my wedding day.
Some great stats in there:

"54%.....hope they will make some changes in their own lives" - Definitely in this camp. Even if daft little things.
"38% cooking from scratch more" - Always enjoyed cooking but easy to sack off the weekly food shop and buy a few bits / order in loads. We've ordered in maybe 3 times in 3-4 weeks now....which is great.
"39% say they are catching up with friends and family more." - never spoken to my parents and sister so much. Also old mate you rarely catch up with too. It's great....draining at times but great.

Good article. Thanks for sharing. Hope the move back has gone smoothly and you're not too manic!
Old Apr 20th 2020, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My return I moved to late April can't be changed any more. Guess I might lose it but haven't called them to check
i bet you can move it. I had a mid April, moved to early April (before covid), moved to mid May, now "cancelled" and waiting to be moved again.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 11:22 am
Account Closed

i bet you can move it. I had a mid April, moved to early April (before covid), moved to mid May, now "cancelled" and waiting to be moved again.
Yeah, I'm expecting to be able to move it, I tried the other day online with no joy to move to June, hopefully will be able to soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.