Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Young moving to Dubai

Young moving to Dubai

Old Jun 16th 2010, 8:24 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Young moving to Dubai

I'm currently in the process of being interviewed for a job in Dubai. I had my first interview yesterday, and they seem keen on me as they arranged a second interview for today within an hour and a half of the first.

It's in the media industry (a senior editorial position) at a large publishing company.

I'm more than happy with the job, and the challenges that I'll face doing it. I've been told the pay will be £30-32k GBP depending on the exchange rate, so I would guess it's going to be around 170,000 AED pa.

The first two months, I'll be in subsidised accommodation, my flights and Visa will be paid and arranged for me and they will be offering free health insurance.

I do have a fiancée who will be staying in the UK for the time being, and I'm quite heavily into my gaming so an internet connection, phone line and flights back every three or so months are going to be important.

(Btw, I should add, my fiancée and me are used to being away from each other for long periods. For a period of time, we were living opposite ends of the UK, and while Dubai is obviously further away, not having contact with each other isn't a massive issue).

What I'd like to know is, is that a fair salary for one guy in Dubai? One that I'll be able to afford a nice one bed place (I'd rather have a one bed place so that my friends and family can come and visit and sleep on a sofabed in the living room etc), in an expat community, while being able to afford play online games (Xbox Live), while being socially active and enjoying the occassional trip to what Dubai has to offer (Dolphins, Skiing, Watersports, Desert Safari's etc).
Old Jun 16th 2010, 9:16 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young moving to Dubai

Based on the rents here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672665 it's doable.

75k p/a rent leaves 95k / 12 months = 7.5k per month for other stuff.... Municipality tax, going out, transport, t'internet, phone etc etc....

Remember a ticket home is going to cost you approx 3.5k AED a shot

Also factor in any costs you will incur getting set up, furniture, kitchen ware etc etc....

You'll live ok but not extravagantly.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 9:23 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=auzdafluff;8636018] I'm more than happy with the job, and the challenges that I'll face doing it. I've been told the pay will be £30-32k GBP depending on the exchange rate, so I would guess it's going to be around 170,000 AED pa.

QUOTE]

Ah, 14,000 AED a month. For a senior editor position. No wonder why they were so happy to get you.

The good news is that rents are declining and will decline for some time. So, let's assume you get a decent one-bed in the Greens or the cheaper end of the Marina or JLT for 50,000 (note that landlords usually expect anywhere from a year to 3 months' rent upfront although you may be able to find someone willing to accept 12 cheques).

Add another 5,000 for agent's fees and housing fee.

Add another 5,000 for annual DEWA and internet connection.

Total housing: 60,000 AED.

Car rental: 1,500 a month, minimum, plus petrol. Say 300 a month for petrol. Total car expenses: 21,600

A young guy like you probably likes to drink and eat out frequently. Budget 600 a week for living expenses, minimum.
Total living expenses: 31,200

Basic living expenses: 113,000 AED a year.

So, doable. Not bad. But that's the bare minimum. When you factor in flight expenses and trips and all expenses above the minimum, you will end up saving nil. But you can survive in Dubai on that amount and still have a decent life.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 9:25 am
Account Closed

75K is too much for rent these days. a one bedroom can be had in the Greens or JLT for for 50K. Marina Diamond and Manchester tower in the Marina are that cheap as well. Disco gardens will be even cheaper. 40K for a one bedroom there.

Originally Posted by Welivehere
Based on the rents here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672665 it's doable.

75k p/a rent leaves 95k / 12 months = 7.5k per month for other stuff.... Municipality tax, going out, transport, t'internet, phone etc etc....

Remember a ticket home is going to cost you approx 3.5k AED a shot

Also factor in any costs you will incur getting set up, furniture, kitchen ware etc etc....

You'll live ok but not extravagantly.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 9:29 am
Account Closed

If you are young I actually recommend not getting your own place. Apartment and villa shares are cheaper plus it offers you the flexibility of not being trapped into a lease. If you find a cool group of people it can be a very enjoyable experience.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 9:30 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I am guessing that ITP are recruiting again.

-
Old Jun 16th 2010, 9:37 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers. It's for an editor position on one of ITP's magazines... but bear in mind, a the salary for a similar position (i.e. a trade title) in the UK is about £22-£28, so it's still a fairly large increase over what I can expect to earn in the UK.

I didn't realise you could villa-share. Are there any websites around so that I could get an idea of how much I'd have to pay?

BTW, I haven't agreed to a wage yet. I've told them I'd rather leave it till I have a job offer (I'll have more leverage then).
Old Jun 16th 2010, 10:08 am