Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Young moving to Dubai

Young moving to Dubai

Old Jun 16th 2010, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Young moving to Dubai

It's noy you who will want to stay for six months thats the length of time people normally stay with them or get the tin tack.

As I said ask around in the industry.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Though I did mention that I'd be looking to stay for at least 3-5 years, and the job that they're offering really can't be done by someone who's only there for 6 months.
you know that... some of them will know that... they won't work on that basis
Old Jun 16th 2010, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

14K per month for someone with the senior title in the job description?? how much the juniors get?

I think is doable but not worthwhile.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klaus3974
14K per month for someone with the senior title in the job description?? how much the juniors get?

senior tea boy?
Old Jun 16th 2010, 2:19 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klaus3974

It's not got senior in the title – just editor – but that in terms of the industry career progression is one or two short of the very top of the editorial food chain, and far from the bottom. You maybe only have editor-in-chief and group/managing editor above editor. Otherwise you hit publisher and that's in the commercial spectrum of publishing.

Anyway, that's getting away from the point.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 2:29 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

... while being socially active and enjoying the occassional trip to what Dubai has to offer (Dolphins, Skiing, Watersports, Desert Safari's etc).
You're an editor?
Old Jun 16th 2010, 2:32 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ctfc
You're an editor?
Whoops, I had my mind on two things. God, I'm really not making myself look very good, am I.

That's what happens when journalists don't read over their copy before posting.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Give the dude a break. I'm a landscape architect and to most people that means I design cute little gardens for rich old women...which couldn't be further from the truth.

To ausdafluff: let me reiterate my point which is that you can survive decently on 14,000 a month, especially now that rents are dropping significantly. You won't save much money and 14,000 is on the low side for western expats in Dubai, even young ones. A decent Western PA at a western owned company out here usually makes between 18,000 to 25,000 monthly.

I have met several people who worked for ITP and there is a history of rapid turnover possibly because the pay is lousy by Dubai standards. But if you want a change of pace and an adventure and have nothing better on the table, go ahead and take the offer although I'd negotiate as high as possible. Aim for 16,000 a month for the extra 2K will make a world of difference.

Just do not get into debt. Forget fancy cars, fancy flats, fancy goods or clothes. Find the cheap and terrific Indian and Pakistani restaurants in Karama and Satwa and avoid the overpriced Western style restaurants in New Dubai. Don't drink too much on the weekends. You should be fine.

Whoops, I had my mind on two things. God, I'm really not making myself look very good, am I.

That's what happens when journalists don't read over their copy before posting.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi auzdafluff,

I'm not familiar with ITP but of they have a revolving door as others on here suggest bare in mind you will have to be out here til April 2012 for it to be tax free, would be worth keeping your tax aside just in case the worst happens!

Good luck!

Kittycat
x
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

you say you like gaming... just wait til you check out the speed of "broadband" in dubai lol
Old Jun 16th 2010, 6:30 pm
You read these things?

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi auzdafluff,

I'm not familiar with ITP but of they have a revolving door as others on here suggest bare in mind you will have to be out here til April 2012 for it to be tax free, would be worth keeping your tax aside just in case the worst happens!

Good luck!

Kittycat
x
Yeah. I'll bear that in mind. As far as I'm concerned now, I'm planning on being out there for at least three to five years, but it's not a bad idea to keep the tax to one side. At least that way, if I need to come back for whatever reason, I can pay the tax. However, should I stay, then I'll have a nice amount of savings come April 2012.

And @Cham128. Haha. Unfortunately, I'm already aware of that, but seeing as how it's a great way to get around the ban on VoIP, even if I can't really play it online, it'll still be worth taking over.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 9:26 pm