Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Young Fun and Moving to Dubai

Young Fun and Moving to Dubai

Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:53 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young Fun and Moving to Dubai

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Good thing I don't have a mo-in-law.

Have done all these in public. And will continue to do so.

Dartford, don't worry. Most western expat men wear shorts all the time. I go to the fancy malls in my salt-stained swimming trunks right after a beach session and no one bats an eye.
It's generally the women that have to worry a bit more.
So you are saying that you walk round the Mall in a pair of budgie smuggling speedos and nobody bats an eyelid?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

A financial advisor?

Is this where I can say 'oh dear'.

Milhouse, over to you.
I'm thinking exactly the same thing.

This puts a whole different perspective on it.

Ben, if you type in the name of the company you are working for (or the parent company and hit the preview post button..........if the name appears as stars then the advice is to avoid.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

JB22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good man. Same approach as us.. don't think about, just do it.. Or you'll wake up in 20 years time stuck in wet, skint Engalnd wondering what if... what if...
Old Oct 13th 2010, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

SeeYaDartford is a jewel in the roughSeeYaDartford is a jewel in the roughSeeYaDartford is a jewel in the roughSeeYaDartford is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by benzonar
I'm thinking exactly the same thing.

This puts a whole different perspective on it.

Ben, if you type in the name of the company you are working for (or the parent company and hit the preview post button..........if the name appears as stars then the advice is to avoid.
Christ you had me really worried then, obviously I had done a fair amount of research on the company before even talking to them especially when asking me to move country but hadnt even thought about checking in a forum- anyway on a good note I have now completed a thorough search throughout BE and they all returned no results (which actually is probably just as bad thinking about it)

Just to make you all aware the whole financial advisor thing is maybe a little vague and scary its more linked with retirement planning (pension advice etc)- please do not tarnish me with the same scummy brush! hehe! I'm a nice guy I promise!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

A financial advisor?

Is this where I can say 'oh dear'.

Milhouse, over to you.
I think that this is Meow's territory.

Dartford, I know that part of Kent is grim - I have been to Bluewater. But, honestly, as bad as life may look on a Friday night on the damp, kebab filled streets outside Zens nightclub, it will be worse if you come here as a financial advisor on a commission only package.

Please make sure that your employer gives you a basic that goes a fair way to covering housing, phones, and visas as a minimum.

Last edited by Millhouse; Oct 13th 2010 at 3:16 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SeeYaDartford
Christ you had me really worried then, obviously I had done a fair amount of research on the company before even talking to them especially when asking me to move country but hadnt even thought about checking in a forum- anyway on a good note I have now completed a thorough search throughout BE and they all returned no results (which actually is probably just as bad thinking about it)

Just to make you all aware the whole financial advisor thing is maybe a little vague and scary its more linked with retirement planning (pension advice etc)- please do not tarnish me with the same scummy brush! hehe! I'm a nice guy I promise!
Why not give Meow a PM. She'll be able to tell you if it's a good move or not. I'm sure she won't mind...
Old Oct 13th 2010, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG not yet another 25yo "financial advisor"? Why can't we get some with a little experience?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do I look German?

Note the word 'trunks'. Not speedos.

Agree that speedos are ridiculous and should not be allowed outside France or Brazil.

And you are correct. No one bats an eye. Never had a a security guard approach me or even give me a funny look. Perhaps it's my 'don't you even think of looking at me, you silly Indian/Pakistani/Filipino keystone kops making 1/10th of what I do' stare that does the trick?

Or perhaps it's the Russian/chavtastic tourists that keeps them too preoccupied to notice me!

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
So you are saying that you walk round the Mall in a pair of budgie smuggling speedos and nobody bats an eyelid?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

SeeYaDartford is a jewel in the roughSeeYaDartford is a jewel in the roughSeeYaDartford is a jewel in the roughSeeYaDartford is a jewel in the rough

Fair play Millhouse, good looking out! luckily enough the company that are sending me out are paying for the visa and yes do offer not only a very good commission structure but a good basic package aswell to keep me afloat in the early stages!

Lionheart... Appreciate the comment mate but why if I've been to University got my degree, worked within the industry for a couple of years and helped god knows how many clients set themselves and their families up with long term and short term investments should I not be allowed to experience the world doing a job that I love? Everyone has to start somehwere yeh? Atleast I'm off my arse working for a living- trying to make something of my life rather than bumming about on the doll mugging off the economy! Next time mate unless you've got something worthwile to say and can back it up, stick to another thread fella!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tone it down. I'm glad to hear your company is paying the visa and setting you up on a basic package, but we've all had our share of borderline fraudulent firms 'recruiting' FA's from the UK strictly on commission and making them pay out of pocket for all expenses. At the end of the day it leaves all the recruits on a plane in a desperate runner out of Dubai.

Fair play Millhouse, good looking out! luckily enough the company that are sending me out are paying for the visa and yes do offer not only a very good commission structure but a good basic package aswell to keep me afloat in the early stages!

Lionheart... Appreciate the comment mate but why if I've been to University got my degree, worked within the industry for a couple of years and helped god knows how many clients set themselves and their families up with long term and short term investments should I not be allowed to experience the world doing a job that I love? Everyone has to start somehwere yeh? Atleast I'm off my arse working for a living- trying to make something of my life rather than bumming about on the doll mugging off the economy! Next time mate unless you've got something worthwile to say and can back it up, stick to another thread fella!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 4:24 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Think you are being a bit unreasonable on Lionheart, considering the worldwide credit/money crisis, and the fact that Dubai (maybe unfairly) is focused on a lot by the media regards this, he may have a point.

Unfortunately FA's don't generally have a good rep, even in Dubai.

Meow is a good one and does an excellent job with the right kind of approach. You might want to PM her to get some more backup/info.

Good to hear that at least your company are guaranteeing some kind of income at first. However it depends how much it is.

If you want to PM me with the financial details (which I will not make public), I can let you know how it stands in the big scheme of things over here.

In addition, agree with other posters that you are right to jump in with both feet. It's a life experience if nothing else. You have plenty of years left to recover even if it doesnt work out.

Good luck.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
OMG not yet another 25yo "financial advisor"? Why can't we get some with a little experience?
To be fair he isn't selling himself as a Senior Financial Advisor!!

Good luck to you Dartford Young Fun. Life is too short not to take on these adventures. Do it!

oh and Dubai Mall would beat Bluewater in a fight
Old Oct 13th 2010, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

I had you nailed on as a recruitment consultant so you've went right up in my estimation fella...!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Cheers for the comments Saudiflares and Co Durham Boy!! Apologies Lionheart if I did over step the mark! On here looking to make mates out there not enemies!

So anyway back to the budgie smugglers...
Old Oct 14th 2010, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

yes back to the budgie smugglers indeed Now what does possess a man to wear speedos?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.